Poll Best lost demo - including the ones from 2018 and 2020

How do the recently released lost demos stand up alongside the three previous ones? Let’s find out!

• Once Upon a Woman’s Body

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
As per Thewlis’ request.

Despite “By the Time” and “I Couldn’t” being fantastic songs (especially the latter), to me the choice is clear. BDE is a timeless masterpiece. A perfect marriage between a melancholy vocal melody and bittersweet yet hopeful lyrics. The pure essence of the Morrissey I once fell in love with.

Thanks Gregor!

Yes the quality of these demo’s from 2018 and 2020 was amazing. Incredible how prolific Moz has been these last couple of years with three albums also having been released in 2017-2020 and the extra’s on High School deluxe.

Hard to say what my fave is. In the end had to choose between Blue Dreamers and By the Time. Love the Blue Dreamers-video but went for By the Time in the end.

The new ones have yet to sink in though.

I think this poll is a little unfair tbh, & probably biased in favour of the already familiar top 3 you've listed here, as the audio quality of these is vastly superior to the recently released rough & distorted demos. I suspect many people will vote with their ears, as opposed to looking at the potential of the latest ones, which would be unfortunate. Point almost proven by @Thewlis who has already voted for By The Time, without even letting the latest demos 'sink in'.

I think this poll is a little unfair tbh, & probably biased in favour of the already familiar top 3 you've listed here, as the audio quality of these is vastly superior to the recently released rough & distorted demos. I suspect many people will vote with their ears, as opposed to looking at the potential of the latest ones, which would be unfortunate. Point almost proven by @Thewlis who has already voted for By The Time, without even letting the latest demos 'sink in'.
I don’t think you need many seconds to establish that the latest ones are vastly inferior to the three previous ones, and I’m not talking about audio quality. The older ones are better songs, and that’s why one of them will most likely prove to be the winner.

Now this one is a harder call. A few great songs here. Think I have to stick with Saturday, for me personally it just compliments and fleshes out 'I bury the living' so well.

'Blue dreamers eyes' and 'I couldn't understand why people laughed' are great, but they retread topics that have been close to previous songs, whilst Saturday is a unique subject as of yet unseen in a song (depending on how you view the last few lines of I Bury the living, I guess) which I really appreciate.

Last edited:
I think I couldnt understand is the best and most moving of the songs. Blue dreamers eyes is solid but the message theme seems narrow. I feel like theres not much to hold onto there though it does have a big if predictable hook. By the time is a better song but sounds a bit more unfinished

BDE is excellent

Usually bias here is in favor of new material rather than old. From memory LIHS and IANADOAC where recivied pretty well initially, but now a lot of people shit on them. World peace seemingly went through that period, but not it seems to have come around again and a new appreciation has been developed for it.

Usually bias here is in favor of new material rather than old. From memory LIHS and IANADOAC where recivied pretty well initially, but now a lot of people shit on them. World peace seemingly went through that period, but not it seems to have come around again and a new appreciation has been developed for it.
We’re usually starved for new material and don’t really think straight at first. That’s the only possible explanation for praising the dung heaps that are (most of) LIHS and WPINOYB.

We’re usually starved for new material and don’t really think straight at first. That’s the only possible explanation for praising the dung heaps that are (most of) LIHS and WPINOYB.
The 2 of the 3 that also had extended editions. I think both extended editions improved over the vanilla album quite a lot, which may contribute to a worse impression of the vanilla. I'm curious how IANADOAC will be viewed in another year or so. I do quite prefer it over those other two albums, but it might still be new material bias...
I did really dig those other two albums at the time... Now, not so much... Some great songs here and there but I don't imagine I'd listen to them from start to finish again.
I only got into Morrissey around the time of WPINOYB, so I'd be interested in any insight regarding older albums.

I'm curious how IANADOAC will be viewed in another year or so. I do quite prefer it over those other two albums, but it might still be new material bias...
Good question, I just bought IANADOAC on vinyl just to force myself to listen to it as a full album... otherwise, I'll just skip a bunch of songs and only listen to the 2-3 I really like. It's not something I want to do with WPINOYB or LIHS.

Good question, I just bought IANADOAC on vinyl just to force myself to listen to it as a full album... otherwise, I'll just skip a bunch of songs and only listen to the 2-3 I really like. It's not something I want to do with WPINOYB or LIHS.
I do that with low but not the others. Usually I just skip one song on each on the others (Ruth and bride)

I voted for I couldn’t understand why people laughed. The words are personal and moving, the guitars sound just beautiful and I am a sucker when it comes to Morrissey doing accoustic tracks (he’s been doing too few of them this century). So it was bound to win.

That being said, I am not convinced that those new demos are inferior to the remaining 2 from 2018, at least not Woman’s body and Saturday. They each have their own strengths and flaws, as alredy pointed out by others or in other thread.

we live in a world where something is great then it is shit,why,who knows.this pplies to film s well,titanic is one of the highest grossing films of all time and was in cinemas for months when it came out,now its seen as a bit of a joke.
blue dreamers eyes will always come out on top for me,saturdy is the best of the new bunch.

Back
Top Bottom