Bigmouth strikes again: Morrissey’s racist rhetoric inspires boycott - Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Sun with a Tired Recycled Title - on a boycott of Moz’s Merriweather appearance tomorrow.

Bigmouth strikes again: Morrissey’s racist rhetoric inspires boycott ahead of Merriweather Post Pavilion show - Baltimore Sun

Excerpt:

His return to Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia this Thursday has prompted calls for a boycott from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

“Under the circumstances, attending Morrissey’s concert is a form of financial support and, in effect, an endorsement of his bigotry,” Zainab Chaudry, CAIR’s Director of Maryland Outreach, wrote in an email to The Baltimore Sun. “Therefore, CAIR is calling on fans to boycott the event to protest his racist, hate-filled views and to send a strong message that we expect better from him.”

Links posted by Famous when dead:

UPDATE Sep 5:

Link posted by Famous when dead:
Morrissey’s US tour suffers from low ticket sales - Consequence of Sound

Link posted by Unloveable:
Morrissey’s U.S. tour ticket sales are a disaster - The FADER

Link posted by jason lee charles hurst:
Muslim civil rights group urges fans to boycott 'bigoted' Morrissey - SBS News

Last edited by a moderator:
The Baltimore son is a decent paper operating under some tough conditions. That said I’ll of course be at the show

They convinced me.
But seriously, this is a good point.
He’s adopted other controversial positions, only to abandon or minimize them — a reflection of what Quinn called his inability to give straight answers.​

As the article is region locked and many can't see it, here it is in full:

Bigmouth strikes again: Morrissey’s racist rhetoric inspires boycott ahead of Merriweather Post Pavilion show.

ACDMNE7WHRFNVO5K4ZGJWZIFKA.jpg

Morrissey's legacy with the Smiths and as a solo artist is undisputed. More controversial are his views on immigration and race.

To a generation of outcasts who came of age in the ’80s and ’90s, the former frontman of the Smiths and prolific solo artist Morrissey might as well be a god. The British singer’s misfit allure connected with legions of fans, from punks and nerds to LGBTQ folks and Mexican Americans, who saw their own alienation in his melancholy lyrics.

In the present, though, his penchant for alienating others with racist behavior and statements threatens his legacy. He’s become known for comments that speak to the British far-right, to opponents of Muslim immigration and to those who agree with his assertion that Chinese people are “a subspecies.”

His return to Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia this Thursday has prompted calls for a boycott from the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR).

“Under the circumstances, attending Morrissey’s concert is a form of financial support and, in effect, an endorsement of his bigotry,” Zainab Chaudry, CAIR’s Director of Maryland Outreach, wrote in an email to The Baltimore Sun. “Therefore, CAIR is calling on fans to boycott the event to protest his racist, hate-filled views and to send a strong message that we expect better from him.”

Executive Calvin Ball of Howard County, the increasingly diverse and pluralistic area where the venue is located, offered his own statement. “I do not condone or validate any derogatory actions or comments of any [entertainer playing Merriweather Post Pavilion],” he wrote in an email. "It is my hope that any conversation we have around hateful speech produces an understanding of the damage it can cause and leads us to a place of greater unity, and a better tomorrow for all.”

Protests against Morrissey’s racist behavior go at least as far back as 1992, when members of the part-British South Asian band Cornershop burned his picture outside his then-label EMI’s offices. Back then, the critiques largely focused on his use of nationalist imagery, including performing draped in a Union Jack, that were associated with the country’s far-right.

Dr. Iván Ramos, a professor of LGBTQ studies at the University of Maryland, College Park, noted that these actions didn’t get much coverage outside of the British music press.

“He wasn’t making as many statements, but he was using potentially white nationalist statements or symbols that just weren’t legible in America,” he said.

But his position came into focus earlier this year when he appeared on “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” wearing a pin with the logo of For Britain, a far-right U.K. political party whose founder has demanded an end to Muslim immigration and reduction of Muslim birthrates.

Ramos, the author of an upcoming book’s chapter on the singer’s Latinx fandom, didn’t know about all of this when he first gravitated to Morrissey’s work while growing up in Tijuana. He and other fans simply knew that the Englishman spoke to their despair

“He really was a savior to the box bedroom rebel, to the outsider,” said Chris Quinn, a Rockville native who inhabits the singer’s likeness throughout the mid-Atlantic as the frontman of Caligula Blushed, his latest Morrissey/the Smiths tribute band. “He made them feel good, like somebody who’s become very important, very famous has got my back.”

Morrissey, who declined through his representative to comment, rejects the accusations of racism. The 60-year-old son of working-class Irish immigrants instead frames his beliefs within his longtime animal rights activism (“You see, racism is at its most abhorrent in relation to eating animals,” he said in the same 2018 blog post where he linked halal meat to ISIS). He’s adopted other controversial positions, only to abandon or minimize them — a reflection of what Quinn called his inability to give straight answers.]

Tecla Tesnau of Baltimore’s Ottobar, which hosts Morrissey/the Smiths-themed karaoke nights and dance parties (and presents Caligula Blushed next month), noted that the musician she grew up loving has “always been kind of an outspoken proponent for these outlying kind of ideas.”

Baltimore-based musician and outspoken anti-racist Hunter Hooligan, who identifies as queer and Indigenous, believes that Morrissey’s contradictions don’t explain his racist behavior away.

“That’s super uncomfortable for people to talk about, because it’s very gray," Hooligan said. “[But] you can’t really be someone who has all of this white supremacist ideology at the bedrock of your perspective of the world and still be doing quote-unquote good.”

Rapper and ex-Baltimore resident JPEGMAFIA felt similarly enough that he wrote a song about it. His representative declined to comment, but “I Cannot F****** Wait Until Morrissey Dies" speaks for itself.

At present, Morrissey’s actions don’t threaten the upcoming Merriweather concert as much as his history of abrupt show cancellations.

"Morrissey has played with us 11 times so far in the last 28 years and the upcoming performance will be the 12th,” a spokesperson for I.M.P., the beleaguered company that oversees the venue and others in Washington D.C., wrote in an email. “He has a loyal following [in] the Washington/Baltimore area, which is why he keeps coming back.”

Morrissey’s behavior likewise didn’t stop tour opener Interpol, whose label spokesperson also declined The Sun’s interview request, from playing with him, as frontman Paul Banks previously wrote on Twitter.
[Banks' Tweet cited]

Fans like Tesnau, Ramos and Quinn, on the other hand, feel more obligation to not support him by going to shows or buying records. Quinn even addressed the For Britain pin by wearing one supporting equal rights when he performs.

Tesnau reflected that this situation gets to the heart of two important questions: “Should we judge the art by the character of the artist?” and “Where is the moral tipping point?” The path to that answer is “highly subjective,” she said.

She’ll still spin her ex-godhead’s records and book Quinn’s band, but she won’t pay for his new music or a ticket to Thursday’s show: "I don’t want to fund his current platform out of my pocket.”

Regards,
FWD.

(Links to region locked article).
Regards,
FWD.

Anti immigration isnt racist.
Globalists brainwash is going to bit Europe in the ass.

Who said all those things that sparked this response? Was it someone other than Morrissey?

He has no-one but himself to blame, and his wallet is going to feel the consequence.

:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

TRULY LAUGHABLE

One of Morrissey’s favorites...

Eat it psychos !!!

:cool:

if the council of:turban::turban: twats APPROVED of the show, then there may have been a problem.:laughing:

Who said all those things that sparked this response? Was it someone other than Morrissey?

He has no-one but himself to blame, and his wallet is going to feel the consequence.

You're right, it is his stupid fault (and interesting that this whole thing is now being replayed in North America).
But it's not clearly all about money for Morrissey is it? It will now have dawned on him that his idiotic, ill-informed views are costing him dear in album and tour revenue but he has made no effort to retract comments. He's clearly showing principles here over financial concern even though his principles are not ones I agree with.
But you really do need to stop telling people that he is purely motivated by money, or you will look even more foolish than you currently do.

I like how all the usual suspects are marking posts down. These champions of free speech think that opposing views should not be seen.

YES.

It was NEVER about money.
If people can’t see by now that his views are more important to him than his bank account, then they are blind.

Though you say his views idiotic etc, that’s subjective.

But it's not clearly all about money for Morrissey is it? It will now have dawned on him that his idiotic, ill-informed views are costing him dear in album and tour revenue but he has made no effort to retract comments. He's clearly showing principles here over financial concern even though his principles are not ones I agree with.
But you really do need to stop telling people that he is purely motivated by money, or you will look even more foolish than you currently do.

o_O

Skinny, peeps are marking your posts down due to their ignorance.:grimacing:

:crystalball::turban::crystalball:

Salaambambam the Magnificent
reporting from Mecca.:japaneseogre:

Whenever I look for the “racist rhetoric” it’s always a bunch of gauge statements that allude to things that others might like. A pin and a vote
an individual candidate. An old old quote from an old interview in the nineties. There’s an interview from the 2002s where he talks about immigration pretty plainly but I never see that quoted anywhere. I guess what I’m saying is that this piece did not deliver. There may be a reason for that

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom