BMG have decided against releasing 'It's Over' as a single - Morrissey Central

Is it over with BMG?

1. October: BMG axed the It´s over single!

Update. - Morrissey Central

BMG have decided against releasing 'It's Over' as a single.

Morrissey has described BMG's decision as "heartbreaking."

Morrissey is presently on tour in the USA, and describes the audiences as "fantastic … and full of hope… at an urgent time when most modern music cannot provide one genuine insight."

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's crunch time Steve. Your fanbase has been decimated by over 60% in the UK and a considerable amount elsewhere due to your idiotic and ill-thought out support for unambiguously right wing politicians and parties. They want to slash taxes for the rich, deny the existence of a climate emergency, and increase funds for military expenditure. All of these things are directly against everything you've ever stood for, yet you have been duped into supporting it by your fascination with a vegan, lesbian feminist. To rescue your reputation and prospects of a continuing recording career, simply and unambiguously retract your support for these f***ers. Otherwise, it's over.

What's wrong with more cash for the military? You do realize that at the current time, Switzerland could quite comfortable invade the UK with our meagre combined army.

None of these arguments matter. What matters is Morrissey's bank account. And he's going to start feeling it. The public are not buying his wares as much as they used to. A lot of folk are dismayed by his admiration of bigots and racists and his many, many baffling right wing comments. Will he own his mistakes? Will he f***. It will always be someone else's fault.

Skinny=sheeple.

I'm sure it's disappointing for Morrissey when all these songs are so personal to him. At this point long after the albums release, a single probably wouldn't garner much additional interest The tour is doing that and as somebody pointed out most artists make the revenue from touring and merchandise these days.
I dont think it signifies any change in Morrissey's relationship with BMG, it probably didn't make business sense to release another single from this album with a new album coming out in the new year.
And the comment about BMG being annoyed over Houstons "cancellation" and insurance costs - it was postponed. it's the venues call if its location and the weather left it unsuitable.
As someone who likes records and collecting the physical music, Morrissey probably feels it from that point of view, and it would have been another one for the fans collection.
I'm glad for him that his tour is going well. People are lucky who get to be there.

f*** what’s personal and nice for Morrissey, he needs to think about what the fans want, we’re the ones buying these records. And the last half-dozen singles have been embarrassing. No wonder they’ve gave him the chop, knocking out tacky single, after tacky single, and no ones arsed about them, they don’t chart, they don’t sell, radio stations don’t play his music. Why would anyone wanna waste money releasing his singles and pressing his records, when they don’t make a penny.

None of these arguments matter. What matters is Morrissey's bank account. And he's going to start feeling it. The public are not buying his wares as much as they used to. A lot of folk are dismayed by his admiration of bigots and racists and his many, many baffling right wing comments. Will he own his mistakes? Will he f***. It will always be someone else's fault.
It will always be Morrissey's fault with you. Will you ever own your mistakes and move on? What exactly has he ever done to you?
That fighting fascism lark is just an excuse. Your hatred of morrissey seems very personal and mentally unhealthy

f*** what’s personal and nice for Morrissey, he needs to think about what the fans want, we’re the ones buying these records. And the last half-dozen singles have been embarrassing. No wonder they’ve gave him the chop, knocking out tacky single, after tacky single, and no ones arsed about them, they don’t chart, they don’t sell, radio stations don’t play his music. Why would anyone wanna waste money releasing his singles and pressing his records, when they don’t make a penny.
They don't make enough of them to make a big profit. That day is gone.
They're for collectors. They promote the album. The money is made on the tours and merchandising and in that respect Morrissey does well.
Personally I like to see Morrissey happy, he's one of my favourite artists. I ha ent seen any evidence that BMG have given him the chop and Peter Katsis seems to be in his corner.

According to conservative estimates, hasn't he got over $30million in the bank? Didn't he turn down $12million to reform The Smiths? I know that you like to repetitively bang the 'only in it for the money drum'...but it doesn't really make sense.

One person with a Bigmouth placard does not constitute "protests". People are still parting with their money and enjoying the current tour. Sorry if reality doesn't fit with your wishful thinking.
Did you not have a plan for when you retired? Is trolling Morrissey it under the guise of fighting fascism?
What you are doing is in itself fascism. Sad.

Don't forget the threatened UK protest as well. That really seemed to unsettle him.

It's time to move on from California Son. I'll admit a few of the songs have grown on me, but c'mon.... it's a throwaway. Let's let the marketing machine, such that it is, rest up a bit for the anticipated new original album coming next year.

I hope this doesn't put Moz back into the wilderness of a no record deal. Cos he won't survive another lonely trek through the desert. There has to come a point where he says "screw this" and just sits back and enjoys his millions. The stamina needed for all that touring for years must be superhuman. Regardless of fan adoration or money.

skinny>surface>benny the deadful butcher.
posting within minutes of 'each' other
from the same area
same troll 'arguments'
what a coincidence.

one troll many pseudonyms.

A whole load of butthurt on this thread. I wonder who is to blame for the dwindling audiences, lower ticket sales and protests at gigs? Who was it who said all those things that precipitated these occurrences? Was it someone else? Let me help you out - there is one person and one person only responsible for all of this. I told you all months ago that the moment his comments started hitting him where it hurts - his wallet - then he would start to take notice. And not only him - his record company. Who on earth would have thought that bigoted statements would stop th public parting with their money, eh? Remarkable.

You're a Corbyn supporter, aren't you ?

I hope this doesn't put Moz back into the wilderness of a no record deal. Cos he won't survive another lonely trek through the desert. There has to come a point where he says "screw this" and just sits back and enjoys his millions. The stamina needed for all that touring for years must be superhuman. Regardless of fan adoration or money.
I'm hoping one last UK tour next year, after that I would say it would be time to call it a day. Morrissey will be forever etched in the bygones of musical history, but time catches up with everyone. The latest shows in the US have looked somewhat flat, even though the voice still roars, the crowd doesn't seem to anymore. So yes, enjoy the royalties which have brought luxuries, the music will never die.

I'm hoping one last UK tour next year, after that I would say it would be time to call it a day. Morrissey will be forever etched in the bygones of musical history, but time catches up with everyone. The latest shows in the US have looked somewhat flat, even though the voice still roars, the crowd doesn't seem to anymore. So yes, enjoy the royalties which have brought luxuries, the music will never die.

If he would bother to shake up his set, ditch the covers and obscure, bland b-sides, and add some crowd pleasers, it would be an entirely different story. He can manhandle these crowds with his back catalog and throw them into a tizzy. He chooses not to. If he shook things up. he could endure for years to come on the road. But again, he chooses not to and will likely go out with a whimper.

I'd say Morrissey sees a UK tour as 'unfinished business' that must at some point be done. He's a self-sabotager in certain respects, but he's also stubborn and likes to get his own way. It seems too easy to sit back and say "f*** the UK, I can't be bothered with the hassle." Yes, there might be a bit of negative snowflakery on display and of course hateful press, but to many of us that has just become a part of modern daily life. Hearing your every opinion and belief trashed in the press and having to wade through protesting morons on the street who suck up everything they read. That's just life now. But it's nothing more than a background hum.

If he would bother to shake up his set, ditch the covers and obscure, bland b-sides, and add some crowd pleasers, it would be an entirely different story. He can manhandle these crowds with his back catalog and throw them into a tizzy. He chooses not to. If he shook things up. he could endure for years to come on the road. But again, he chooses not to and will likely go out with a whimper.

You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side, Hairdresser On Fire, Girl Afraid, Morning Starship, I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, I Wish You Lonely, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, Seasick, Yet Still Docked, Everyday Is Like Sunday, Jack The Ripper and How Soon Is Now? aren't crowd pleasers? What songs would you want?

This is him going out on a whimper, its nonchalant of him not to play what everyone wants to hear and replace them with 70s cover versions. The voice still sounds great, but the whole atmosphere surrounding Moz is not what it used to be.

I really agree with you here, it’s the same songs over and over. His shows could be barnstormers, as you say he chooses to drag the energy in the room right to the floor. Paris, twin, don’t like me, theses songs are no concert songs.. Even how soon, Sunday, suedehead, some of my faves, but I’ve seen them sung live soooo many times now. Very rarely does moz shake things up, as he likes to sing the songs he wants to sing...

I'm sorry. There's so many crap music published on a daily basis that it's a shame this beautiful song with wonderful vocal and instrumental interpretations does not reach the business requirementes to be released as a single just like Morrissey desired. Maybe in the future. Who knows.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom