BMG's Korda Marshall on "Low In High School" first week sales

My apologies if this already was posted here or in another thread. I thought this was a nice little blurb on the LIHS first-week sales that BMG posted, complete with an accolade by Korda himself:

UK: Morrissey's Low In High School marks eleventh consecutive Top 10 UK album - BMG
BMG UK
24 Nov 2017

Morrissey’s latest album Low In High School, his first released through BMG, has landed at number five on the UK Album charts, marking his eleventh consecutive Top 10 album in the UK. The album also topped the Independent Album charts, Vinyl chart, and Cassette chart.

Released on November 17, Low In High School is Morrissey’s eleventh studio album and first since announcing a partnership with BMG on launching his new label Etienne Records.

Korda Marshall said, “This is an incredible result. It’s the first Morrissey album of his career to be released in the fourth quarter and not only he has shown he can compete in the busiest time of the year, he has exceeded first week sales of his last album. Morrissey is back in a big way.”

Leading up to the release of the album, Morrissey announced his first UK tour since 2015 and the Los Angeles City Council declared November 10 as “Morrissey Day” in LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the very essence of window-dressing and diminishing returns. How can anyone possibly dress the 'album's performance as anything other than an uncollected wheelie-bin? I think this must be clause 6:5 in the contract: "No matter what happens, wait a few weeks and declare victory"

Come back with a good record. Not this 'will-this-do' shite.

Last edited:
This is the very essence of window-dressing and diminishing returns. How can anyone possibly dress the 'album's performance as anything other than an uncollected wheelie-bin? I think this must be clause 6:5 in the contract: "No matter what happens, wait a few weeks and declare victory"

Wow I bet you are a real buzzkill at Christmas functions.

I think its a great record. So do my friends. Well okay only one of my friends likes Moz but he loves it :D
Your comment about the uncollected wheelie bin is funny but is disposable trash and I hope nobody here tries to recycle it. Better to just put a lid on it before it starts attracting flies o_O

Last edited:
It does seem a little hyperbolic but then it's his job to talk it up. You've got to hand it to Korda and BMG, they really haven't put a foot wrong. Despite Morrissey's best efforts to derail the campaign, they've done pretty well. Makes you wonder what they could have achieved with a real barnstorming album and a more compliant artist.

Well done Moz

I think its a great record. So do my friends. Well okay only one of my friends likes Moz but he loves it :D
Your comment about the uncollected wheelie bin is funny but is disposable trash and I hope nobody here tries to recycle it. Better to just put a lid on it before it starts attracting flies.

You may think so. I promise you, history will judge otherwise.

I am right.

would love to know the actual numbers up till now,first week uk was 24k,us was 19k,2nd week uk was 4k.thats decent numbers,how many people would have bought this as a xmas present,i would say a few thousand at least.far east sales with someone like hideo kojima punting it on twitter would be another few thousand or more.

Nice!

As I said before outselling the previous one was no mean feat considering the bad press and general slip of sales.
Moz is back in a big way and the upcoming UK and World Tour will only further demonstrate that.

Last edited:
Uncleskinny is right as usual you know. Morrissey really has changed and not for the better. His voice isn’t better than ever, and his lyrics certainly aren’t. He doesn’t sing about relatable things. He makes muppet sounds on stage and awkwardly moves around whipping a microphone cord. He dresses terribly when he used to start trends and styles. He picks terrible setlists. His interviews aren’t very witty. It’s all very predictable nowadays. Of course there are exceptions as with a couple songs on this new album BUT for the most part, if all of you Moz fans that have been fans longer than since YATQ came out, would dig deep in your inner being - you have to admit this is true.
I promise I’m not trying to be mean or judge mental. It takes guts to be truthful

Uncleskinny is right as usual you know. Morrissey really has changed and not for the better. His voice isn’t better than ever, and his lyrics certainly aren’t. He doesn’t sing about relatable things. He makes muppet sounds on stage and awkwardly moves around whipping a microphone cord. He dresses terribly when he used to start trends and styles. He picks terrible setlists. His interviews aren’t very witty. It’s all very predictable nowadays. Of course there are exceptions as with a couple songs on this new album BUT for the most part, if all of you Moz fans that have been fans longer than since YATQ came out, would dig deep in your inner being - you have to admit this is true.
I promise I’m not trying to be mean or judge mental. It takes guts to be truthful

I would pretty much agree with that, apart from the voice, which does sound good to my ears.

:thumb::thumb:This is a great statement. It points out the positive.. the album is doing better than expected during a extra competitive time of year( I hadn't even thought of this).

I am still mixed on LIHS as a complete album. I liked World Peace better as a whole but it didn't have any favorite songs, for me...at least a few years on. I'll say LIHS has a few excellent songs that stand with his best. I think if an artist can produce an album 35 years into his career that has 3 or 4 amazing songs that's phenomenal. :rock:

Nope sorry Eric, been a fan since '86, didn't much care for YATQ but love, love, love the new album. For ME (and I can only speak for me) it is a masterpiece. And trust me I'm not fighting some type of inner turmoil saying that.

My Love I'd Do Anything For You is a cracking opener fit to match the urgency and energy of IBEH, Home is a torch ballad that could be a beautiful sister to Camden, All The Young People has the same type of jaunty singalong chorus to rival Crashing Bores and Israel is a stunning closer. In between, songs such as Jacky, Who Will Protect Us and STDIB compare favorably to anything in the middle parts of Quarry. Plus there is nothing even close on YATQ to the experimental nature of I Bury The Living, a song I first foolishly dismissed but have come to appreciate in a new light.

All-in-all, as the great Tony Horton may say, 'Low In High School kicks the panties off YATQ.'

Have to agree about the style side though, those baggy jeans that he seems festooned to make him look like he's got the legs of a dwarf :lbf:

You may think so. I promise you, history will judge otherwise.

I am right.
Fek I was just trying to be funny but the wheels came off. As for history.... well I prefer the here and now (sometimes the past, but rarely the future), and I'm happy with the new album and am glad there is one. Not all the songs are great but some are, imho. I don't care what any retrospective thinks.

History hasn’t judged Kill Uncle or Maladjusted all that well or fairly, but I still rather rate them, and Low is certainly above them in terms of craftmanship, or profile.

LIHS is still a mixed bag to me, the main thing that has me going back to this album is how great Morrissey's singing is, wish the lyrics were better though

Well, I'm proud that I paid for this album. And I listened too (several times over !)

Which is more than some folks did or do.

Hazard
x

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom