Morrissey Central "BORN SORRY" (August 19, 2020)

The text is dated 17 August.

"BORN SORRY
August 19, 2020

full

I thought perhaps I’d expressed enough defective needle gratitude for the flowers arriving at the house and adorning the gates and walls for my mother’s terrible, terrible death. I find I must say more - because they keep coming … from all over the world … Israel, Brazil, Peru, Argentina, Poland, Italy … communicating, in their way, a whole sense of truth, one that perhaps tells us that there is no reasonable explanation how love comes and goes.
The death of our mothers somehow tend to clear the ground for some form of reconstruction. Although technically past adolescence, this does not apply to me. See, the sea wants to take me, and let that be the boy’s traditional right, for we all have no interest in hanging around in order to be overtaxed, or to be repeatedly bashed about the head by the Idiot Culture that now rules England with an iron rod.
Had my mother been the mother of some politely antiseptic Hell-given pop star, her passing would be known to all and she would light up the New York Film Festival of 2020. But, no.

However, Love is all that matters, and those who resist it are the losers.

Morrissey
17 August 2020"

To use the word "bizarre" when describing another person's grief process is kind of bizarre. There is no standard way. Everybody's process is different. Especially in the modern age, people have all kinds of outlets for expression. If they believe it helps them, then let it help them. í don't believe M. is sitting there all day formulating MC posts and fulminating at the NYFF. There are family and friends around. This is one element of the process. When my Mum died í wanted the world to weep in that first fortnight of loss. But they didn't. í wanted to play Morrissey's "Moonriver" at the service to make the place awash with tears {wiser heads prevailed, and Audrey was played}. You rage against other people not feeling more, to avoid you having to feel anything real.

In terms of other pop star's parents, í remember in 2001 it was widely known that Bono's Dad was at death's door, but that was principally due to the fact that U2 were touring Europe at the time, and it affected the schedule. Bono would fly back and forth to the Dublin hospice inbetween concerts, they never cancelled. Saw them in Glasgow three days after he buried his Dad and Bono was on some other plane.

My friend's zoom memorial (we'll have the real thing when we can) was glorious bathos - it was funny & sad & we miss him & he'll always be with us. And we were singing along to these. He'll be on a cloud somewhere complaining that the Olivias (sic) didn't have a tribute to him.

My dear Morrissey,

The image and the reflections on you post somehow reminded me of this poem:

When I Heard the Learn’d Astronomer
BY WALT WHITMAN

When I heard the learn’d astronomer,
When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me,
When I was shown the charts and diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them,
When I sitting heard the astronomer where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
How soon unaccountable I became tired and sick,
Till rising and gliding out I wander’d off by myself,
In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars.

He probably feels guilty that she spent the last years of her life reading the worst publicity he's ever had. And that he wasn't the cheery showbiz type. She read everything about him.
I was at the Palladium on Mothers Day 2018 and it was very special, and a proud moment for them both. I don't think guilt comes into it. Like all mothers, she loved her child, knowing him better than anyone.
If they were in Ireland the funeral would be over by now. Instead they're in limbo,"with no interest in hanging around" due to restrictions which keep changing daily. Who knows what red tape they have to go through in order to bring her back to Ireland, or how long they will have to wait.
It makes a sad situation worse. The kindness of all the people who have been sending flowers must be a comfort and a reminder.
His statement shows he misses his mother, it's as simple as that. And it doesn't matter what age you are when you lose your mother, you still feel like an orphan. It's that 4 o'clock in the morning feeling, when you first wake up and in that split second realise nothing is ever going to be the same again.
No one else can tell you how to grieve or when your grief should be over. It's not about anyone else. It's too personal.
My heart goes out to him.

I was at the Palladium on Mothers Day 2018 and it was very special, and a proud moment for them both. I don't think guilt comes into it. Like all mothers, she loved her child, knowing him better than anyone.
If they were in Ireland the funeral would be over by now. Instead they're in limbo,"with no interest in hanging around" due to restrictions which keep changing daily. Who knows what red tape they have to go through in order to bring her back to Ireland, or how long they will have to wait.
It makes a sad situation worse. The kindness of all the people who have been sending flowers must be a comfort and a reminder.
His statement shows he misses his mother, it's as simple as that. And it doesn't matter what age you are when you lose your mother, you still feel like an orphan. It's that 4 o'clock in the morning feeling, when you first wake up and in that split second realise nothing is ever going to be the same again.
No one else can tell you how to grieve or when your grief should be over. It's not about anyone else. It's too personal.
My heart goes out to him.

(y) There is no more to say.

Oh dear, presumably Morrissey will have spent more than 183 days in the UK and so will have to pay tax to HMRC. :cry: What a punch in the guts.

He probably feels guilty that she spent the last years of her life reading the worst publicity he's ever had. And that he wasn't the cheery showbiz type. She read everything about him.
Or perhaps, rather, he feels guilty about spending the last years of his mother's life pro-actively supporting hateful far-right 'protect the rich' politics, and declaring that he prefers his own race, and (wrongly) that everyone else prefers their own race too. And that it was actually his own actions that led to the worst publicity he's ever had, a radio-station boycott in his home country, indie record shops, websites and nightclubs refusing to have anything to do with him, and one of the biggest mass desertions of a fan base in musical history.

She made a change earlier on which said, just to be clear Boz is fine, as a number of responses assumed Boz had passed away

* confirming my general assumption regarding most facebook users.

Apparently some panic over 'made the journey up North' which is an Americanism for death? The eternal optimism of Americans.
And the inability to imagine that English might be a foreign language to them.

Apparently some panic over 'made the journey up North' which is an Americanism for death? The eternal optimism of Americans.

It is...? I made a joke about that to myself when I read Surface's reply but didn't think anyone would actually use it in that sense... :squiffy:

It is...? I made a joke about that to myself when I read Surface's reply but didn't think anyone would actually use it in that sense... :squiffy:

Someone said it on facebook, so it must be true. Never heard of it myself.

Boz has now posted a recent pic of himself outside a pub, reassuring all Americans.

It's not an American phrase. But as an American, we probably guessed it was a Britishism. You know, like Cockney rhyming slang or something.

Or perhaps, rather, he feels guilty about spending the last years of his mother's life pro-actively supporting hateful far-right 'protect the rich' politics, and declaring that he prefers his own race, and (wrongly) that everyone else prefers their own race too. And that it was actually his own actions that led to the worst publicity he's ever had, a radio-station boycott in his home country, indie record shops, websites and nightclubs refusing to have anything to do with him, and one of the biggest mass desertions of a fan base in musical history.

Oh, get lost.

You know nothing about politics or the press.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom