"Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views" - Aceshowbiz (April 18, 2020)

Brandon Flowers Bans His Kids From Listening To Morrissey's Songs Due To His Racist Views

Shoplifterromo sends the NME article indicating the original interview from The Times:

Shoplifterromo also sends the link:

Brandon Flowers Admits It’s ‘Difficult’ to Separate Morrissey’s Politics and Music - SPIN

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, the headline is a bit of a cheat. 'Ban' is not the same as 'doesn't plan to convince,' which is the term used in the article.

""It is difficult to separate it (the band) from him, and I'm not going around playing the music in front of my kids." => That is not excatly the same as "bans his kids from listening". Very few kids are actually even very interested in the music their parents play to them.

Edit: like Radis Noir just posted.

Christ, in a period when there's no news except corona news, someone writes this grab-line bilge to fill the gaps.

"Flowers previously said he still regarded Morrissey as "a king" because of his musical achievements, but confessed to having forgotten about the controversy over his comments supporting the far-right For Britain party and other comments on race. "

So what's Flowers doing here? ...retro-arse covering owing to an alleged 'memory lapse', but Moz is still "a king"?
The far-right & race nonsense couldn't have been very important to Flowers then if he'd simply 'forgotten' about it.

Very few kids are actually even very interested in the music their parents play to them.

Kids will listen to what they want, be that slurpy love song stuff, or gun toting killing & stabbing people & drug taking type raps. Maybe Flowers would prefer his kids to listen to the latter type of stuff? I doubt Morrissey or The Smiths would even be on their radar, however.
A non-article in desperate times.

Full segment from the interview.

In the encore, which turned things up to 11, Johnny Marr popped on stage to play guitar on This Charming Man. Flowers is a lifelong fan of the Smiths — so much so that he kept a teacup Morrissey drank from when the singer visited a Vegas café that Flowers once worked at. Many think Morrissey is racist. Did Flowers take that into consideration when covering one of his songs?
“I don’t think Marr should be held back because of Morrissey, so I don’t regret it,” he says. Separating the art from the artist is a perennial poser, though — what is the take of a super-devotee? “It is difficult to separate it from him, and I’m not going around playing the music in front of my kids, but...”
He stumbles a bit. “Pick a song! Pick What She Said. If What She Said came on the radio with my kids, I wouldn’t change it. It’s still an amazing song, so I’m not that serious, where I would change the station. I don’t agree with him, but I’m not going to burn my CDs by the Smiths or anything.”

Christ, in a period when there's no news except corona news, someone writes this grab-line bilge to fill the gaps.

"Flowers previously said he still regarded Morrissey as "a king" because of his musical achievements, but confessed to having forgotten about the controversy over his comments supporting the far-right For Britain party and other comments on race. "

So what's Flowers doing here? ...retro-arse covering owing to an alleged 'memory lapse', but Moz is still "a king"?
The far-right & race nonsense couldn't have been very important to Flowers then if he'd simply 'forgotten' about it.

Yeah. Desperately retro-arse covering. Bit gutless. But that's modern fame for you.

Yeah. Desperately retro-arse covering. Bit gutless. But that's modern fame for you.

Maybe he got this put out pronto yesterday knowing full well he'd be appearing on the web as part of the corona concert stream thing, from the homes of the 'stars' & didn't want his appearance smeared? Gutless tit.

No, it's just more lock-jawed pop-stars
Thicker than pig-shit
Nothing to convey
So scared to show intelligence
It might smear their lovely career

Indeed.

:crazy:

Mad daddy.

Banning anything from kids just makes it more attractive to them.

:sleeping:

Johnny's the support on their US tour (if it goes ahead) if Brandons kids go on tour with them, they will hear a few Smith songs.

We listened to a bit of Viva Hate in the car last year at one point and when "Bengali in Platforms" came on, our 11 yr old said "What does he mean by that, that life is hard enough when you belong here?" We ended up having a really interesting chat about different cultures and immigration and why some grown-ups might be scared of people from other parts of the world coming to their country. (The 11 yr old thought that was stupid, to be scared.)

Brandon Flowers And His Golden Showers...now there's a character for the Viz Comic if ever I heard one.

hes changed his tune since last summer.would you throw somebody you have admired under a bus just to play the music business game.

We listened to a bit of Viva Hate in the car last year at one point and when "Bengali in Platforms" came on, our 11 yr old said "What does he mean by that, that life is hard enough when you belong here?" We ended up having a really interesting chat about different cultures and immigration and why some grown-ups might be scared of people from other parts of the world coming to their country. (The 11 yr old thought that was stupid, to be scared.)
It's very perceptive of them to pick up on that and nice that it was a topic for discussion. It doesn't sound like you tried to make them think one thing or another but used it to discuss how different people think. Excellent communication and you should be proud.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom