"California Son" enters at #4 in UK album charts; #1 in UK vinyl album charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/char...number-1-on-the-official-albums-chart__26457/

Excerpt:
Morrissey claims this week’s highest new entry with his covers album California Son at Number 4, his 14th Top 10 album as a solo artist.

The Motion Picture Cast Recording of Elton John biopic Rocketman makes a Top 5 debut at Number 5, just ahead of Elton’s Diamonds greatest hits album, which leaps nine spots to Number 6. The Amazons’ second album Future Dust becomes their second Top 10 effort, debuting at Number 9.

All 14 of them:
Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Vauxhall: 1
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5
California Son: 4

So the same position as Your Arsenal and Southpaw Grammar, not bad at all.

UPDATE 9:50AM PT:

Posted by Alexi:

Number 1 in the vinyl charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-albums-chart/

Added by Thewlis:

Additional info from Music Week:

"Morrissey’s first album release as a sexagenarian (he was 60 on 22 May) is his 12th solo studio set and first ever covers album, California Son, which debuts at No.4 (8,340 sales). It comprises entirely of remakes of songs written and originally recorded by North American (US and Canadian) acts between 1964 and 1975. Morrissey’s fanbase being what it is, it is no surprise that the album performs poorly on sales-equivalent streams (311 units) but very well physically, where its 7,132 sales include 1,951 on vinyl, in which format chart it debuts at No.1.

All of Morrissey’s solo studio albums have made the Top 10, a run that started in 1988 when his first post-Smiths release, Viva Hate debuted at No.1, becoming the first of his three No.1 solo albums. Including his Smiths’ albums, Morrissey has had 24 Top 10 albums, and reached No.1 five times."

Last edited by a moderator:
Additional info from Music Week:

"Morrissey’s first album release as a sexagenarian (he was 60 on 22 May) is his 12th solo studio set and first ever covers album, California Son, which debuts at No.4 (8,340 sales). It comprises entirely of remakes of songs written and originally recorded by North American (US and Canadian) acts between 1964 and 1975. Morrissey’s fanbase being what it is, it is no surprise that the album performs poorly on sales-equivalent streams (311 units) but very well physically, where its 7,132 sales include 1,951 on vinyl, in which format chart it debuts at No.1.

All of Morrissey’s solo studio albums have made the Top 10, a run that started in 1988 when his first post-Smiths release, Viva Hate debuted at No.1, becoming the first of his three No.1 solo albums. Including his Smiths’ albums, Morrissey has had 24 Top 10 albums, and reached No.1 five times."

So according to that philosophy...
Kill Uncle
Bona Drag
Your Arsenal
Southpaw Grammar
Malajusted
Years Of Refusal
Low In High School
Were all flops?
Worst selling? It's not even his original material, it's a fun gimmick album released in a climate of poor album sales, terrible press reviews and articles, barely any radio or TV exposure, allegations of racism and fascism, an artist in his twilight years... I mean, taking all that into consideration then it's nothing short of a miracle it reached the top 40. Top 5 album from any artist not called Queen or Micheal Jackson is a triumph.

You know fine well why i applied that logic here, it was due to a lack of competition, like I’ve said umpteen times. It didn’t even have sell 10k to get in the top 5. It should be pushing for #2 easy.

What was #2 & #3 anyway?

Worst selling? It's not even his original material, it's a fun gimmick album released in a climate of poor album sales, terrible press reviews and articles, barely any radio or TV exposure, allegations of racism and fascism, an artist in his twilight years... I mean, taking all that into consideration then it's nothing short of a miracle it reached the top 40. Top 5 album from any artist not called Queen or Micheal Jackson is a triumph.

Barely any radio? Other than the single being A-listed by the most popular station in Europe, and the album given 'album of the week' status.

Wonder how much they will make after they have paid all the writers of the tracks? 80k isn't going to go far.

You know fine well why i applied that logic here, it was due to a lack of competition, like I’ve said umpteen times. It didn’t even have sell 10k to get in the top 5. It should be pushing for #2 easy.

What was #2 & #3 anyway?
Define competition? You think Morrissey is hip with most music buyers? You've completely disregarded everything I've just written in my previous post.
I'll see you next Friday when you'll be gloating about how CS has dropped to number 42.

Wonder how much they will make after they have paid all the writers of the tracks? 80k isn't going to go far.
f*** me. Are you helplessly depressed? You're putting wet blankets on EVERYTHING.

Great chart position for a covers album.

No silly comments about it 'only' selling ~8000 copies please, that is the state of the charts / music sales nowadays, nothing to do with Morrissey, every artist is in the same boat.

Not bad for an album by a guy who is persona non grata to many (even amongst his former fanbase) and is also a horrifically uninspired plod through some source material that was dreary to start with.

No silly comments about it 'only' selling ~8000 copies please, that is the state of the charts / music sales nowadays, nothing to do with Morrissey, every artist is in the same boat.

Really? LG sold 100k, a lot of popular artists are still selling 50-60.

8k is shit. But it’s still good enough to get to number 4.

Just imagine if the material was good and Morrissey hadn’t alienated half his fan base by acting like a racist bigot. Could’ve easily got top 2.

Unless my maths is wrong, that would mean Morrissey has had a top 5 album in his 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and now 60s. Must be pretty small number of artists who can boast that.

Really? LG sold 100k, a lot of popular artists are still selling 50-60.

8k is shit. But it’s still good enough to get to number 4.

Just imagine if the material was good and Morrissey hadn’t alienated half his fan base by acting like a racist bigot. Could’ve easily got top 2.
Please stop spreading lies. What popular artists are you talking about? Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran or Take That?
You should compare Moz to contemporaries like The Cure, New Order or Echo and the Bunnymen. He's outperforming them, and he is on his own :)

Please stop spreading lies. What popular artists are you talking about? Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran or Take That?
You should compare Moz to contemporaries like The Cure, New Order or Echo and the Bunnymen. He's outperforming them, and he is on his own :)

Great. Now take your jar of lube and your California Son LP and enjoy your evening.

he wouldnt be in the Top5 last week (The National outsold him in their first week)

where can I find actual sales figures for this weeks top 100? Thanks

Exactly!

How do you work out that he's out performing New Order?

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom