"California Son" enters at #4 in UK album charts; #1 in UK vinyl album charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/char...number-1-on-the-official-albums-chart__26457/

Excerpt:
Morrissey claims this week’s highest new entry with his covers album California Son at Number 4, his 14th Top 10 album as a solo artist.

The Motion Picture Cast Recording of Elton John biopic Rocketman makes a Top 5 debut at Number 5, just ahead of Elton’s Diamonds greatest hits album, which leaps nine spots to Number 6. The Amazons’ second album Future Dust becomes their second Top 10 effort, debuting at Number 9.

All 14 of them:
Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Vauxhall: 1
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5
California Son: 4

So the same position as Your Arsenal and Southpaw Grammar, not bad at all.

UPDATE 9:50AM PT:

Posted by Alexi:

Number 1 in the vinyl charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-albums-chart/

Added by Thewlis:

Additional info from Music Week:

"Morrissey’s first album release as a sexagenarian (he was 60 on 22 May) is his 12th solo studio set and first ever covers album, California Son, which debuts at No.4 (8,340 sales). It comprises entirely of remakes of songs written and originally recorded by North American (US and Canadian) acts between 1964 and 1975. Morrissey’s fanbase being what it is, it is no surprise that the album performs poorly on sales-equivalent streams (311 units) but very well physically, where its 7,132 sales include 1,951 on vinyl, in which format chart it debuts at No.1.

All of Morrissey’s solo studio albums have made the Top 10, a run that started in 1988 when his first post-Smiths release, Viva Hate debuted at No.1, becoming the first of his three No.1 solo albums. Including his Smiths’ albums, Morrissey has had 24 Top 10 albums, and reached No.1 five times."

Last edited by a moderator:
How have I been humbled when I said anything but #2 was a flop lol, and it’s his worst selling solo record ever! Ever! Let that sink in. I don’t even care for the charts, I care for good music. Doesn’t matter if this is #1 or #41, I still don’t like. I’m glad it’s made you happy tho :thumb:
Why do u waste time airing your dislikes on a site devoted to an artist?Noeffingbody cares what u think or say or write or vomit or pass.

Please stop spreading lies. What popular artists are you talking about? Lewis Capaldi, Ed Sheeran or Take That?
You should compare Moz to contemporaries like The Cure, New Order or Echo and the Bunnymen. He's outperforming them, and he is on his own :)

outperforming The Cure? haha. get down from your Moz cloud please

How do you work out that he's out performing New Order?
Some of their albums didn't make top 10, and surely they don't have 12 top-10 albums straight.
The Cure's last 3 albums were 14, 8 and 33.
Bunnymen haven't even made the top-10 this century I think.

I like all three of these bands, and they still do quite well, but Moz still outperforms them in the album charts, which if anything is a sure testament to his devoted fanbase.

Why do u waste time airing your dislikes on a site devoted to an artist?Noeffingbody cares what u think or say or write or vomit or pass.

you forgot that this site is rather critical to an artist. so are the readers of it

How do you work out that he's out performing New Order?
Bit of a stretch to compare the two, seeing since NO have released like three studio albums during this millennium. Two of them when the record industry was still breathing (2001 and 2005). Their last one was certified silver in the U.K., I noticed.

I’ve dedicated enough time to praising and introducing Morrissey to numerous friends and family over the years, spent thousands on his records, he’s my all time favourite artist, and the smiths are my all time favourite band. And you’re denying me an opinion? GTFOH

Some of their albums didn't make top 10, and surely they don't have 12 top-10 albums straight.
The Cure's last 3 albums were 14, 8 and 33.
Bunnymen haven't even made the top-10 this century I think.

I like all three of these bands, and they still do quite well, but Moz still outperforms them in the album charts, which if anything is a sure testament to his devoted fanbase.

New Orders last album charted at number 2 and reached silver status, which means it sold over 60k, they sell our arenas worldwide including the Uk and to this day hold the record for the biggest selling 12 inch single ever.

New Orders last album charted at number 2 and reached silver status, which means it sold over 60k, they sell our arenas worldwide including the Uk and to this day hold the record for the biggest selling 12 inch single ever.
Yes, they are amazing, and like Moz, still do very well to this day, as I said.
But even they don't have 12 straight top-10 albums (16 if you count The Smiths), or three number 1's.
So it will be difficult to find any artist from the 1980s that performs better in the album charts than Moz, over such a long period of time.
U2 probably, but even their last album only entered at number 5 I think.

But even they don't have 12 straight top-10 albums (16 if you count The Smiths), or three number 1's.
So it will be difficult to find any artist from the 1980s that performs better in the album charts than Moz, over such a long period of time.

Umm, last New Order album sales over 60k, non of Morrissey last 3 albums got anywhere near that. Morrissey may have had a more prolific career over the years (New Order have been by their own admission lazy) but nowadays I’m pretty sure New Order are the more respected artist.

^
Amazing!

HATE campaigns in Germany successful: the man didn't make it into the top 100 album charts!

Umm, last New Order album sales over 60k, non of Morrissey last 3 albums got anywhere near that. Morrissey may have had a more prolific career over the years (New Order have been by their own admission lazy) but nowadays I’m pretty sure New Order are the more respected artist.
I think that’s a lot to do with Joy Division. They’re even more influential on today’s (ie these past 15 years or so) alternative music scene. The Smiths might trump both of them, though.

Well, tha
I think that’s a lot to do with Joy Division. They’re even more influential on today’s (ie these past 15 years or so) alternative music scene. The Smiths might trump both of them, though.
The Smiths have 4M monthly listeners on Spotify, NO have 3,8M so it is pretty close. Joy Division have 2,6M.

Wonder how much they will make after they have paid all the writers of the tracks? 80k isn't going to go far.

^:rolleyes:

Stop deflecting, you’re just bummed that it reached number 4.

Anyway, when has Morrissey ever paid anyone?

:lbf:;)

Well, tha

The Smiths have 4M monthly listeners on Spotify, NO have 3,8M so it is pretty close. Joy Division have 2,6M.
What numbers do you get for NO if you exclude Blue Monday? Neither Moz/Smiths nor JD have had a hit of that magnitude.

What numbers do you get for NO if you exclude Blue Monday? Neither Moz/Smiths nor JD have had a hit of that magnitude.

Blue Monday has had 107 million listens on Spotify. Morrissey is a fair way off New Orders top 3 on Spotify as well.

Yes, that's by far their biggest hit, but funnily enough time does set things straight.
Because The Smiths' two biggest hits now on Spotify - There Is a Light and This Charming Man - are bigger hits than Blue Monday.
138M and 112M to BM's 107M.
Also interesting that Love Will Tear Us Apart is a bigger hit now than Blue Monday.

Yes, that's by far their biggest hit, but funnily enough time does set things straight.
Because The Smiths' two biggest hits now on Spotify - There Is a Light and This Charming Man - are bigger hits than Blue Monday.
138M and 112M to BM's 107M.
Also interesting that Love Will Tear Us Apart is a bigger hit now than Blue Monday.
Only fair that TIALTNGO and LWTUA are bigger. Two of the most gorgeous pieces of music ever recorded. Utterly and completely immortal. Perfection.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom