"California Son" enters at #4 in UK album charts; #1 in UK vinyl album charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/char...number-1-on-the-official-albums-chart__26457/

Excerpt:
Morrissey claims this week’s highest new entry with his covers album California Son at Number 4, his 14th Top 10 album as a solo artist.

The Motion Picture Cast Recording of Elton John biopic Rocketman makes a Top 5 debut at Number 5, just ahead of Elton’s Diamonds greatest hits album, which leaps nine spots to Number 6. The Amazons’ second album Future Dust becomes their second Top 10 effort, debuting at Number 9.

All 14 of them:
Viva Hate: 1
Bona Drag: 9
Kill Uncle: 8
Your Arsenal: 4
Vauxhall: 1
Southpaw: 4
Maladjusted: 8
Quarry: 2
Ringleader: 1
Greatest Hits: 5
Refusal: 3
World Peace: 2
Low in High School: 5
California Son: 4

So the same position as Your Arsenal and Southpaw Grammar, not bad at all.

UPDATE 9:50AM PT:

Posted by Alexi:

Number 1 in the vinyl charts

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/vinyl-albums-chart/

Added by Thewlis:

Additional info from Music Week:

"Morrissey’s first album release as a sexagenarian (he was 60 on 22 May) is his 12th solo studio set and first ever covers album, California Son, which debuts at No.4 (8,340 sales). It comprises entirely of remakes of songs written and originally recorded by North American (US and Canadian) acts between 1964 and 1975. Morrissey’s fanbase being what it is, it is no surprise that the album performs poorly on sales-equivalent streams (311 units) but very well physically, where its 7,132 sales include 1,951 on vinyl, in which format chart it debuts at No.1.

All of Morrissey’s solo studio albums have made the Top 10, a run that started in 1988 when his first post-Smiths release, Viva Hate debuted at No.1, becoming the first of his three No.1 solo albums. Including his Smiths’ albums, Morrissey has had 24 Top 10 albums, and reached No.1 five times."

Last edited by a moderator:
It'll interesting to see who'll be churning out the excuses when 'California Son' tumbles out of the Top 20 albums in a month or so, given that Morrissey's not toured Europe since "logistical issues" (poor ticket sales) caused by his errant gob in 2018. What will be said this time in the face of the obvious, eh?

As I said to Thewlis - finished with them. Their return on investment in him is shocking.

Of course he’ll be finished with them,
record companies come and go, but Morrissey remains as always the winner, even if he released another record or not.

Sting's new studio album 2937 sales at #27

Not surprising. Nobody 'new to this' knows who Sting is anymore, trust me.

Sting's masterpiece was 'the Dream of the Blue Turtles'. Absolutely amazing album. He didn't have a more coherent and complete album after that, and THAT was his FIRST solo release, some 35 years ago. 'Dream...Turtles' is ACE though. Listen to 'We Work the Black Seam'.

:brows:

sold more copies in one week than :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: sucko Comet album has had in 2-3 years:clapping:

Poor cometic twat.:constructionworker:

:brows:

sold more copies in one week than :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: sucko Comet album has had in 2-3 years:clapping:

Poor cometic twat.:constructionworker:

You poor thick, f***ing pathetic mong, Call The Comet has only been out for 11 months and sold 8700 copies in its first week compared to Morrissey's 8300 for Californian Son.

What a complete embarrassment you f***ing are.

At least you can have a laugh at my comments. @Thewlis is still there trolling everything I post!
Only the ones that are truly trolling. You do say something worthwhile every once in a while, and then I 'like' them. That's what this system is for, I didn't invent it.

This one is off-topic or redundant, I get that.

At least you can have a laugh at my comments. @Thewlis is still there trolling everything I post! Seriously thewlis get a life man, your so wet. Bet your wife resents you for chewing your food too loud.

I usually only down vote a user if they down vote me. Tit for tat, though it’s really not one of my favorite of pastimes.

You poor thick, f***ing pathetic mong, Call The Comet has only been out for 11 months and sold 8700 copies in its first week compared to Morrissey's 8300 for Californian Son.

What a complete embarrassment you f***ing are.

Not to mention it’s just a much better album full stop. It’s a very solid record. And unanimously recognised as such. Better Metacritic rating that any of Morrisseys last 3 albums too.

A1CA3D2F-A506-464B-B5DB-1BD8C5D048D1.jpeg

Great job! Especially in the face of all-out destruction campaign by the Guardian, etc all, coinciding with the UK elections is also interesting.

Not to mention it’s just a much better album full stop. It’s a very solid record. And unanimously recognised as such. Better Metacritic rating that any of Morrisseys last 3 albums too.

View attachment 50045
I gave it a few listens when it came out, while it was pleasant and inoffensive, it is completely forgettable.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom