California son - how do you rate it?

5/10, today i received my CD and the last time i'm planning to play that album, kind of boring.

morning starship // 9.5
dont interrupt the sorrow // 9
only a pawn in their game // 8.5
suffer the little children // 8.5
days of decision // 10
its over // 10
wedding bell blues // 9
loneliness remembers what happiness forgets // 9
lady willpower // 9
when you close your eyes // 8
Lenny's Tune // 7
some say i got devil // 10

8.95/10

So many 9/10’s. So, Don’t interrupt the sorrow, Lennys tune, wedding bell blues, are amongst morrisseys best ever songs? Up therewith Everyday Is Like Sunday, Suedehead, Now My Heart Is Full, etc etc ??
9’s are not 10’s. Great Morrissey songs are 10s and everything else falls in degrees short. That said, I’d rather listen to every one of these songs than to any of the songs on World Peace or to any except one of the songs on Low In High-School.

9’s are not 10’s. Great Morrissey songs are 10s and everything else falls in degrees short. That said, I’d rather listen to every one of these songs than to any of the songs on World Peace or to any except one of the songs on Low In High-School.

I like the originals and I love morrisseys voice. It's a win win for me.

I like the originals and I love morrisseys voice. It's a win win for me.
I do not like either the Buffy St Marie or the Jobriath originals. At all. As with “Trash,”
back in 1991, Morrissey has made accessible songs I would never have given a second listen.

he gets a full 10 points for choosing and introducing these relatively unknown gems of the 60s to us.
i listen to the a-side in the morning, and the b-side in the late afternoon, incessantly. how about a CS part 2, or a cover album with psychedelic 70s songs? i mean, he seems to have all those lists apparantly.

I enjoy the covers album more than WPINOYB and LIHS. His vocals on the new album aren’t as bombastic and brash. They seem more gentle, and he seems to be singing more than just doing his talking while singing thing that he’s done for most songs on the previous two albums.

My favorites from the new album are:

Morning Starship
A Pawn In Their Game
Days of Decision
It’s Over
Lenny’s Tune (such a sad song)
Some Say I Got Devil (very dark song)

My least favorites are:

Wedding Bell Blues (fun song but not the type of fun song that I prefer)
Suffer The Little Children (too camp for my taste)

It’s nice to know that Roger Manning is back on board for this album.

Matthew Walker’s drumming and drum programming are wonderful on this album. Some of the drum patterns remind me of some songs on YATQ, like America Is Not The World and Let Me Kiss You.

When I first heard of the news that Morrissey would release a covers album with songs and with some artists that I never even heard of, I didn’t expect much from the album and wasn’t really excited to listen to it, but I’m glad that I gave it a chance.

Plus, Brow Of The Beloved is wonderful, in my opinion. I think that it’s much better than most of the songs from the previous two albums. He sings so sweetly, and I love the acoustic guitars and strings. I wish that he made more songs in this vein for this previous two albums.

8/10 . Great song selection and Morrissey's voice has aged like wine. Highlights for me are Morning Starship, Only A Pawn In Their Game, It's Over, Wedding Bell Blues, Lady Willpower, Lenny's Tune, Some Say I Got The Devil. Honestly i rank the rest of the songs as being very good. Good summer soundtrack

Back
Top Bottom