"California Son" slips down to number 33 in second week on the UK Official Albums Chart

Official Albums Chart Top 100

Not too bad, it'll no doubt be out of the top 40 next week.
Screenshot_20190607-231329_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are definitely not. I have reserved my comments about this album since the first songs leaked out, and what I keep thinking is what a missed opportunity.

Songs like Wedding Bell Blues is one of a number of songs that just don't capture the Morrissey aesthetic. He obviously chose these songs for a reason, but I wish he would have given more consideration to how the lyrical impact of his wonderful voice and phrasing is equally if not more important than the music itself.

The great band of his earlier solo years has been disbanded so all that is left is his voice and his ability to connect the lyrics of a song to the listener. This en-devour just missed the mark for me.

Too many memories of his earlier masterwork perhaps, but that is both the blessing and the curse of being exposed to his greatness at such a tender age.
are you a closet guardian reporter,everybody is an expert after the fact.

Not true, but what would you expect.
Low in High School dropped from 5-48 in its second week.
Also Maladjusted dropped out of the top 30 in its second week.
But it is maybe best to compare to other novelty records he put out.
Beethoven dropped 13-42 in its second week, Earls Court 18-45.

So for a Morrissey-album this is standard procedure :)

You’ve just shit on your own point there by comparing it to Low In High School, (his worst ever), Malad (a commercial flop), and 2 live LPs.

Not true, but what would you expect.
Low in High School dropped from 5-48 in its second week.
Also Maladjusted dropped out of the top 30 in its second week.
But it is maybe best to compare to other novelty records he put out.
Beethoven dropped 13-42 in its second week, Earls Court 18-45.

So for a Morrissey-album this is standard procedure :)
well said,everybody knows his fans would have bought in the first weekend,a drop off is standard practice in music and film unless your marvel or ed Sheeran.

You’ve just shit on your own point there by comparing it to Low In High School, (his worst ever), Malad (a commercial flop), and 2 live LPs.
Well, you compare it to his best ever albums then (although you just said you don’t consider it to be a proper Moz-album...). Even those albums plummeted in their second week.
Even Smiths-albums did.

well said,everybody knows his fans would have bought in the first weekend,a drop off is standard practice in music and film unless your marvel or ed Sheeran.

Comparing an album you claim to be a success. Against one of his worst works, one of his worst flops, and two live LPs, is not well said.

Well, you compare it to his best ever albums then (although you just said you don’t consider it to be his 12th studio album), even those albums plummeted in their second week.
Even Smiths-albums did.

Look Thewlis, man! You think it’s good, I don’t. You think his standards haven’t dropped, I do. You think he’s popular as ever and still making great music, I don’t, I don’t. Get over it.

are you a closet guardian reporter,everybody is an expert after the fact.

No. Just a long time fan of his musical sensibilities that have faded to dust. I have never considered his politics, sexual orientation (or disorientation), or his views on what would "Make England Great Again" when it comes to the music. You can beg to differ, and it is a beggar's banquet these days.

Look Thewlis, man! You think it’s good, I don’t. You think his standards haven’t dropped, I do. You think he’s popular as ever and still making great music, I don’t, I don’t. Get over it.
No. I’m just stating facts here, you don’t.

No. I’m just stating facts here, you don’t.

Facts are, Viva Hate spent 20 weeks on the charts, Vauxhall nearly 2 months, Quarry about 3 months, Ringleader 11 weeks. Your arsenal well over a month. I use his best work as a yardstick. Not his worst.

CS will vanish after 2 weeks. But yeah, great success.

Facts are, Viva Hate spent 20 weeks on the charts, Vauxhall nearly 2 months, Quarry about 3 months, Ringleader 11 weeks. Your arsenal well over a month. I use his best work as a yardstick. Not his worst.

Contradicting yourself within an hour.
‘It’s not a Moz-album proper’ but ‘Yes, I will compare it to his very best studio-albums just to make my very vague point’.
Makes no sense.

Contradicting yourself within an hour.
‘It’s not a Moz-album proper’ but ‘Yes, I will compare it to his very best studio-albums just to make my very vague point’.
Makes no sense.

Just giving you the facts you so craved. Still not happy?

We look at things from a differnt perspective, you went and searched his lowest performing albums. I searched his best. I will always hold anyone up to their highest standards.

For you to say CS is a success and on the level with everything else Morrissey has done, just because Beethoven was Deaf feel out the charts quickly, just shows how much you’re reaching to make your delusion make sense.

Let the hell fire rain down, but there are others who have pulled off excellent cover versions of popular songs extremely well. Two come immediately to mind.

Johnny Cash's Hurt and Tom Jones' Kiss. Both songs fit the persona of the singer and their interpretations were spot on and filled with their individualistic spirit. The lyrics matched their own style perfectly and their interpretations were a complement to the original versions.

Morrissey's choice of songs for his covers album leaves me perplexed, although others find them pleasing. This will be another addition to the ardent fans collection of releases and nothing more.

Just giving you the facts you so craved. Still not happy?

We look at things from a differnt perspective, you went and searched his lowest performing albums. I searched his best. I will always hold anyone up to their highest standards.

For you to say CS is a success and on the level with everything else Morrissey has done, just because Beethoven was Deaf feel out the charts quickly, just shows how much you’re reaching to make your delusion make sense.
You’ve not given me any fact, I supplied them.
To compare a record of Nico, Melanie and Jobriath-covers to his best ever original albums is beyond silly, and you know it. You just said it an hour ago, just look back at what you wrote.

So why use double standards?

You’ve not given me any fact, I supplied them.
To compare a record of Nico, Melanie and Jobriath-covers to his best ever original albums is beyond silly, and you know it. You just said it an hour ago, just look back at what you wrote.

So why use double standards?

You’re a twat. The end.

Yes, the insult to top it all off, when you run out of arguments. So predictable.

You’re tying to make a point that it’s a success by comparing it to his biggest flops.
I’m making a point it’s a flop by comparing it to his biggest successes.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom