"California Son" track listing posted on Morrissey Central

The Morrissey Covers Album - Morrissey Central
December 5, 2018

The track-list for Morrissey's California Son recording:

MORNING STARSHIP (Jobriath)
DON'T INTERRUPT THE SORROW (Joni Mitchell)
ONLY A PAWN IN THEIR GAME (Bob Dylan)
SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN (Buffy Sainte Marie)
DAYS OF DECISION (Phil Ochs)
IT'S OVER (Roy Orbison)
WEDDING BELL BLUES (Laura Nyro)
LONELINESS REMEMBERS WHAT HAPPINESS FORGETS (Dionne Warwick)
LADY WILLPOWER (Gary Puckett & the Union Gap)
WHEN YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES (Carly Simon)
LENNY'S TUNE (Tim Hardin)
SOME SAY I GOT DEVIL (Melanie)

The album is produced by Joe Chiccarelli and will be released by BMG.

Cheers for this. Listening now - it does actually make an interesting collection of songs and a great Spotify playlist.

I love the last 3 tracks none of which which I was overly familiar with.

Also the Spotify radio playlist after this has been a treat. I salute you

If he wanted to appeal to the mainstream he would’ve just accepted the gorillaz collaboration offer or the Noel ghallager one of any number of other offers. Or reformed the smiths when Johnny wanted to etc. sure it’s important to him and probably enjoyable to see his music become popular but obviously not as important as following his muse

he should have covered a roy Hamilton song,what a voice,this is the guy responsible for elvis vocal style.

Well, it depends on how you define mainstream.

Morrissey like any artist desires to have their
voice heard, but he has always attempted it on his own terms, Morrissey in the mainstream charts is more of an infiltration and not so welcomed by those who have bought their way into those same charts.

And considering this, he’s doing very well.
Can you really say that Kiss Me A Lot was Morrissey-esque? That's why it grated me so hard. It sounded nothing like him. Maybe he wanted to make a crass pop number? God knows he's a weirdo like that.

Can you really say that Kiss Me A Lot was Morrissey-esque? That's why it grated me so hard. It sounded nothing like him. Maybe he wanted to make a crass pop number? God knows he's a weirdo like that.
Don’t even start me on that appalling video, unbelievable

I have brought everything this man has ever done, been to every tour that I could, have a tattoo dedicated to his words. For the first time, I think, I’m meeting this record with utter indifference. I hope to be pleasantly surprised but I truly think many of these songs really won’t suit his style or voice and aren’t necessarily very good songs to begin with.

Guess we define mainstream differently.
If Kiss me a lot was like any of this musically or
lyrically then I’d agree with you...

And maybe the reason why his music isn’t side by side with that crap, is because even Kiss me a lot is not crap. It’s still art it’s too unique, but having said that ... any big :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:record company can make something a hit if the ‘artist’ is subservient enough, and that’s the truth, just look at the crap that people listen to
because it’s pushed in their face and safe so it must be good.

:cool:

It sounded like Ricky Martin for f***'s sake. I know you'll always have his back, but that was bad.
And I'm not even bringing the video into it. :lbf:

The fact completely rational post is getting “troll” flagged speaks volumes about the level of cognitive ability among Morrissey’s current fan base. These daft wee twats will accept the lowest common denominator if it dribbles from Fat-Elvis’ anus.

Bunch of low expectation-having douche bags is what you are. Grow the f*** up.

It may not be what you're saying, but how you're saying it.

You silly f***ing c***.

I reckon me really reckon that this album can win a Grammy for "best covers album". It's going to be that good mate inn n nn n in nn it. The California Son really made a masterpiece.

Well, it depends on how you define mainstream.

Morrissey like any artist desires to have their
voice heard, but he has always attempted it on his own terms, Morrissey in the mainstream charts is more of an infiltration and not so welcomed by those who have bought their way into those same charts.

I agree to a point. Morrissey has always craved success, but he has swerved most trends: he has never gone electronic or dance, he hasn't let his tracks to be remixes (the exceptions are very few), he has said no to potentially successful collaborations while courting Charles Aznavour and so on.

But on the other hand he is clearly baffled why his own way hasn't made him universally loved. He fails to see that you can't say controversial statements like comparing meat-eaters to paedophiles and expect universal approval. He has every right to do and say and think what he wants, but on the other hand he should realize that things like that alienate most people. You can't openly loathe the masses and expect their love at the same time.

I agree to a point. Morrissey has always craved success, but he has swerved most trends: he has never gone electronic or dance, he hasn't let his tracks to be remixes (the exceptions are very few), he has said no to potentially successful collaborations while courting Charles Aznavour and so on.

But on the other hand he is clearly baffled why his own way hasn't made him universally loved. He fails to see that you can't say controversial statements like comparing meat-eaters to paedophiles and expect universal approval. He has every right to do and say and think what he wants, but on the other hand he should realize that things like that alienate most people. You can't openly loathe the masses and expect their love at the same time.

Born to baffle?

:lbf: It’s true ! I agree with you, his ‘I hate you,why don’t you love me?’ perspective I find charming quirky and it makes me giggle a bit. It’s hard to explain, maybe because it resonates with how I feel too in my relationship between me and the rest of the world. I guess the damaged me has always gravitated to the damaged others. It’s us against the world, but still needing to be loved just like everybody else does.

:)

It sounded like Ricky Martin for f***'s sake. I know you'll always have his back, but that was bad.

What’s bad ? My opinion? Kiss me a lot is a Morrissey pop song on his own terms. He will never be subservient to the music industry which explains why he will never achieve that world wide chart success he pervertedly desires. But in the back of his mind, I’m sure (or I hope) that he’s content with the success he has achieved on his own terms, and being as strange as he is, that is quite an achievement.

:rolleyes:

FFS you dont like Kiss Me A Lot just like you dont like any Moz song, who are
you kidding? You are just negative towards all except for:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: and thats
only because hes negative towards Moz which makes it a double negative.:drama:

Also because in reality hes also :oldman:

I perfectly understand what Moz tried to with Kiss Me A Lot: he wanted to write an untypical frivolous pop song, which would get an extra flavour from the fact that it's him singing it. Pet Shop Boys have done something similar many times -- Neil Tennant has spoken of the need to write a "moronic" pure pop song with no catch in it from time to time. But Kiss Me A Lot fails, because the music in the song is so weak, both the composition and the way it's played. You need a killer tune to make a song and a lyric like that to work.

I perfectly understand what Moz tried to with Kiss Me A Lot: he wanted to write an untypical frivolous pop song, which would get an extra flavour from the fact that it's him singing it. Pet Shop Boys have done something similar many times -- Neil Tennant has spoken of the need to write a "moronic" pure pop song with no catch in it from time to time. But Kiss Me A Lot fails, because the music in the song is so weak, both the composition and the way it's played. You need a killer tune to make a song and a lyric like that to work.

The arrangement is good and the verse melody is fine but the chorus melody is rubbish.
Totally unmemorable/hummable.

watch DramaJohnny shortly announce with all due solemnity that he is putting out
a covers album. He will deny being a monkey see monkey do instead asserting that he
is motivated by a desire to test his new ivories.:handpointright::D:handpointleft:

just watch.o_O a very solemn announcement, accompanied with dysltopia comment, at a pub near you shortly. guaranteed to be dramatic.

I ye I reckon John Maher is going to have to come out with "The Oregon Son" now with obscure covers of overrated guitarists. I reckon there will be a photo shoot with pics of him jogging around Portland so he can compete with Air Morrissey's pics of him playing basketball at the Malibu YMCA. Dude, stop pretending you have a Nike contract like Air Morrissey mate pisser tit c*** thick tossey inn nn nn nn nn n din't in nn n n it.

john maher marathon.png

‘It’s Over’ LP guess she may back him up on this ...

I ye I reckon John Maher is going to have to come out with "The Oregon Son" now with obscure covers of overrated guitarists. I reckon there will be a photo shoot with pics of him jogging around Portland so he can compete with Air Morrissey's pics of him playing basketball at the Malibu YMCA. Dude, stop pretending you have a Nike contract like Air Morrissey mate pisser tit c*** thick tossey inn nn nn nn nn n din't in nn n n it.

View attachment 46736

That's Johnny Marr running in the NY Marathon which he completed in less than 4 hours! Respect! I doubt that the Mozzer could run to the end of the block even if there was a cheese on toast waiting for him!

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom