Could this woman be the 'Girl least likely to'

M

Mr. Man

The writer Jessica Berens. She interviewed Moz for Spin magazine in the 80s and it was a somewhat contentious write up. She went on to become an author just like the character in the song is promising to do. Link to her obit and her Moz interview below. What do you think?

Jessica Berens became an author after the song was written & recorded.

Someone closer to home perhaps:
"In a 1998 interview to KCXX radio, he was asked if the song was about a particular person, and answered "Yes there is and it was quite terrible for me because this person listened to the song and immediately knew and a terrible fight ensued. But that was many years ago and... but still... quite interesting. I wish I'd been a bit more secretive though. But what the hell! You know...""

FWD.

The writer Jessica Berens. She interviewed Moz for Spin magazine in the 80s and it was a somewhat contentious write up. She went on to become an author just like the character in the song is promising to do. Link to her obit and her Moz interview below. What do you think?

She seems fabulous.

I think it must be someone he was friends with in Manchester though - if he was reading their work before they had a publisher (if they ever found a publisher).

I wonder if it was Annalisa Jablonska?

"In a 1998 interview to KCXX radio, he was asked if the song was about a particular person, and answered "Yes there is and it was quite terrible for me because this person listened to the song and immediately knew and a terrible fight ensued. But that was many years ago and... but still... quite interesting. I wish I'd been a bit more secretive though. But what the hell! You know...""

FWD.
Well, yes, I know. That's literally why he says in the song, "There's a publisher," she said, "...in the new year"
(It's never in this year)
which means her book hadn't been published yet just as you indicated. So this woman absolutely could be the one who the song is about. She meets all of the qualifications that I can see. She's spent provable time with him, she was an aspiring writer at the time of the interview, and it was a less than stellar write up that he surely wouldn't have approved of. And when you say perhaps "someone closer to home" I guess you assumed since the piece was in Spin magazine that she was American when she was actually British. She gets my vote until someone can find better.

FWD.
Oh, I just realized what you meant by 'closer to home'. Must be a British-ism because I'd never heard it used that way before. Sorry. Hmmmm...I wonder if he might have known this Jessica better than we are aware. I mean, we don't have a complete list of all his aquaitances. Never know...

She seems fabulous.

I think it must be someone he was friends with in Manchester though - if he was reading their work before they had a publisher (if they ever found a publisher).

I wonder if it was Annalisa Jablonska?

That's a really great suggestion. Looking closer at the lyrics the person does appear to be a singer who writes their own songs. I can't find anything on her though. Like a ghost. Just like her laugh on suffer little children. You may be right. Thanks.

Well, yes, I know. That's literally why he says in the song, "There's a publisher," she said, "...in the new year"
(It's never in this year)
which means her book hadn't been published yet just as you indicated. So this woman absolutely could be the one who the song is about. She meets all of the qualifications that I can see. She's spent provable time with him, she was an aspiring writer at the time of the interview, and it was a less than stellar write up that he surely wouldn't have approved of. And when you say perhaps "someone closer to home" I guess you assumed since the piece was in Spin magazine that she was American when she was actually British. She gets my vote until someone can find better.
A one page interview with a mildly caustic tone in 1986. Nothing else. The song was written in 1990 and her first book was released in 1993. There are zero historical references to link her in any way to Morrissey other than that 1 interview.
'Provable time' (1 apartment interview) is a reach when there were many other people who interviewed him on more than one occasion over the years and have better links.
I fail to see how that would provoke a song and comments implying a closeness that was never seen or documented - especially during a heavily documented part of Morrissey's life. People don't tend to have terrible fights ensue if they've only been met once. Further, 'she was an aspiring...' is conjecture and, again, isn't evidence as there's no indication that her book writing desire was expressed to Morrissey at the one time they were known to have met.
Jablonska, well... good luck with that. Certainly had more contact, but as someone who archives & documents information daily for years, the information surrounding this person is beyond vague. A conveniently delphic character reduced to a sentence in Autobiography - well it's possible I guess.
Best of luck with it all.
FWD.

For anyone interested, the full KCXX radio transcript (a long, fan-lead interview) with Girl Least... quote:

Last edited:
Has no one ever tracked Annalisa down for an interview?

A one page interview with a mildly caustic tone in 1986. Nothing else. The song was written in 1990 and her first book was released in 1993. There are zero historical references to link her in any way to Morrissey other than that 1 interview.
'Provable time' (1 apartment interview) is a reach when there were many other people who interviewed him on more than one occasion over the years and have better links.
I fail to see how that would provoke a song and comments implying a closeness that was never seen or documented - especially during a heavily documented part of Morrissey's life. People don't tend to have terrible fights ensue if they've only been met once. Further, 'she was an aspiring...' is conjecture and, again, isn't evidence as there's no indication that her book writing desire was expressed to Morrissey at the one time they were known to have met.
Jablonska, well... good luck with that. Certainly had more contact, but as someone who archives & documents information daily for years, the information surrounding this person is beyond vague. A conveniently delphic character reduced to a sentence in Autobiography - well it's possible I guess.
Best of luck with it all.
FWD.

For anyone interested, the full KCXX radio transcript (a long, fan-lead interview) with Girl Least... quote:
Okay, first of all, why do you keep pointing out that her book was published in 1993 after the song was recorded, as if that makes my line of reasoning implausible? Also, you have no idea WHEN the song was WRITTEN. It was recorded in 1990 and released in 1990 but it could have been written at any point prior to that not necessarily IN 1990 as you say. "Provable time' just meant that she had indeed MET Moz and that this was clearly evident by the interview that was published. People who write books generally are 'aspiring writers' to begin with. That's hardly conjecture on my part. As for the rest, I had already conceded in my post above to Nerak that Annalisa was a more likely candidate in that she was a singer and in my estimation the character in the song is a singer as well as a writer. This was my sole purpose of asking this question to begin with. To see if anyone else thought this was her and hopefully get some other possibilities. I suppose you don't have any ideas of your own about who it may be because you haven't offered any but you certainly are interested in fastidiously negating other peoples thoughts. I'm wrong, it's not her. You win. Satisfied?

Julie Burchill?

No. She bashed out the kind of trashy bestseller she always wanted to. And they're not friends.

In the 80s she did lament that she'd met the gay man of her dreams but he didn't like her & I wonder if it was Moz?

No. She bashed out the kind of trashy bestseller she always wanted to. And they're not friends.

In the 80s she did lament that she'd met the gay man of her dreams but he didn't like her & I wonder if it was Moz?

believe we both agree..

From Morrissey’s comment, it seems to be a friend, someone that he actually hung out with.

Julie Burchill?
This is a really good suggestion. Her original piece on Moz where he doorstepped her with Murray Chalmers in tow was a very interesting read and to me not anywhere near as scandalous as many say. However, I am certain now that this person must have had goals of being a singer as well as a writer because of how I view the specific lyrics about "songs". Some think these are referring to Morrissey but I think he is singing about HER songs that she has written in hopes of becoming a star just like Moz and these songs are derivative of HIS work. The Queen and Shops with thieves.

Back
Top Bottom