Damien Dempsey and Moz duet

cossy

irish blood dublin heart
I first came across Damien Dempsey when he opened for Moz in Dublin in 2004 as Moz was launching You are the Quarry . Unfortunately it will be remembered for Alains last appearence in the live Morrissey band . But Damien Dempsey really blew me away. I was unaware of him and yet he came from my hometown. I was hooked.
Unusually for Morrissey Damo and himself remained very good friends and they meet up regularly when Moz is in town. Damo even got a favourable nod in Autobiography . So it was with delight when I read this article in the summer that they would duet together on Damiens upcoming album

https://www.irishtimes.com/special-...with-a-little-help-from-his-friends-1.3543211

Morrissey
The former Smiths singer was so impressed by Dempsey’s unvarnished style that he invited the Dubliner to support him on tour, and also signed him to his label Attack for the US market. While Damo’s social conscience has always been clear, Morrissey has courted controversy with some decidedly dodgy political views. Still, we’re looking forward to hearing Damo and the Mozzer together on Dempsey’s upcoming duets album.

I remember reading on social media the duet happened in London during the summer. Alas I now read that the duet didn't make the cut for Damien's new album released the end of the month

https://www.imro.ie/member-news/damien-dempsey-shares-new-single-apple-of-my-eye/

Anyone have any further info on this? I wonder will it ever see the light of day or remain on the cutting floor

cossy

I first came across Damien Dempsey when he opened for Moz in Dublin in 2004 as Moz was launching You are the Quarry . Unfortunately it will be remembered for Alains last appearence in the live Morrissey band . But Damien Dempsey really blew me away. I was unaware of him and yet he came from my hometown. I was hooked.
Unusually for Morrissey Damo and himself remained very good friends and they meet up regularly when Moz is in town. Damo even got a favourable nod in Autobiography . So it was with delight when I read this article in the summer that they would duet together on Damiens upcoming album

https://www.irishtimes.com/special-...with-a-little-help-from-his-friends-1.3543211

Morrissey
The former Smiths singer was so impressed by Dempsey’s unvarnished style that he invited the Dubliner to support him on tour, and also signed him to his label Attack for the US market. While Damo’s social conscience has always been clear, Morrissey has courted controversy with some decidedly dodgy political views. Still, we’re looking forward to hearing Damo and the Mozzer together on Dempsey’s upcoming duets album.

I remember reading on social media the duet happened in London during the summer. Alas I now read that the duet didn't make the cut for Damien's new album released the end of the month

https://www.imro.ie/member-news/damien-dempsey-shares-new-single-apple-of-my-eye/

Anyone have any further info on this? I wonder will it ever see the light of day or remain on the cutting floor

cossy
Interesting. Suggests that maybe a) Social media reports were wrong; or b) Moz hated the finished track and wouldn't let him use it. I would tend to put my money on a), since it's so rare for him to work with anyone else, let alone duet. I remember reading that piece at the time and thinking, that could be good... if it ever actually happens.

Ye reckon the California Son and John Frusciante have been down at Sunset Sound a lot. Me reckon first we thought it was Uncle Steve getting guitar lessons from John, but they are there a lot. Reckon it would be so top mental ace if they were recording for a duet inn nnn nn n nn n n din't n i t mate.

snip... Damo even got a favourable nod in Autobiography . So it was with delight when I read this article in the summer that they would duet together on Damiens upcoming album... snip.
Yes, this was an interesting one.
He mentioned Morrissey and then was pictured with Mando.
See below thread for information discussion at the time (Feb '18).
Yes, started by Dempsey mentioning a duet in an interview.
(Discussed here: www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/damien-dempsey-interview-mentions-morrissey-duet.141799/).
Then Mando posted the following less than a week later:

View attachment 45319
Regards,
FWD.
Picture quoted:
42204_farkomalarco15185626741714150433202040789_418366473.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom