Damon Albarn asked Morrissey and Sade to appear on new Gorillaz album, but was turned down

Damon Albarn has 40-45 Gorillaz songs still to be released, plus there’s a TV series in the works - Consequence Of Sound
Albarn also reveals plans for a Chicago Demon Dayz Festival and reveals that Morrissey passed up an opportunity to collaborate on Humanz

Excerpt:

Though Humanz is chock full of all-star collaborators, including Grace Jones, Carly Simon, Mavis Staples, Noel Gallagher, and De La Soul, a few others passed up on the opportunity. Among them: Morrissey (lol!), Sade, and Dionne Warwick, “who passed for the second time because the lyrics conflicted with her religious sensibilities,” according to Q.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have loved to have heard these two collaborate, but based off the most recent Gorillaz singles I can 100% understand why Morrissey turned him down, not his style at all.

I would have loved to have heard these two collaborate, but based off the most recent Gorillaz singles I can 100% understand why Morrissey turned him down, not his style at all.

It's his privilege.

Damon Albarn is unbearable. Blur were in the right place at the right time. There were so many more better bands than them. Gorillaz should be banned for crimes against music. Sade has just gone up immeasurably in my estimation.

Yeah it'd be hard to see morrissey on a gorillaz album. Damon was for sure unbeatable during blue but I've liked his interview since the bands original break. He seems honest and very straight forward these days and I'm only a so so fan of blur. Gorillaz is alright. I like the concept and Jamie is fantastic as I've long been a fan of his but the music is hit or miss for me which makes it hard to enjoy the albums though I like songs here and there like Clint Eastwood and feel good inc. It's a stylistic grab bag a lot of the time and I'm not to keen on the style a lot of the time

Reckon Uncle Steve would never collaborate with Sade "all reggae is vile". It's too bad his dream of collaborating with Aunt Nancy's dad never happened.

Yeah it'd be hard to see morrissey on a gorillaz album. Damon was for sure unbeatable during blue but I've liked his interview since the bands original break. He seems honest and very straight forward these days and I'm only a so so fan of blur. Gorillaz is alright. I like the concept and Jamie is fantastic as I've long been a fan of his but the music is hit or miss for me which makes it hard to enjoy the albums though I like songs here and there like Clint Eastwood and feel good inc. It's a stylistic grab bag a lot of the time and I'm not to keen on the style a lot of the time

Sorry supposed to read unbearable during blur.

It's not like he has got 'owt better to do though

Has he ever guested on anyone else's records but his own?
Damon should have known better.

Well kudos to Damon for trying. Yes it's hard to imagine Morrissey guesting on anyone else's album. It's too bad he and Bowie never recorded anything together while the love affair lasted. I had the privilege of being at the 1991 LA show when Morrissey and Bowie sang Cosmic Dancer together.

Frankly, I would love to hear Morrissey break out of his current (actually decades long) musical shackles and partner with someone more experimental, but it aint gonna happen. There was talk a few years back that Thievery Corporation had remixed a Morrissey song and were trying to get permission. Nothing ever materialized - would love to hear what it was.

BTW, on the subject of Sade, the "Soldier of Love" album is pretty damn good.

Has Morrissey EVER participated on anyone else's recording? I sure can't think of one.

See, that's the thing with collaboration in music. Wonderful, magical things can happen when you throw caution to the wind. Steve-O doesn't have the balls or wherewithal to pony up for a project like that. He's into safe. Same shite band playing garbage Marr, Rourke and Joyce covers, plus whatever pap he's written since he was the last of the famous. RIP.

maybe hes getting shyer as he gets older and the thought of spending hours in a studio has put him off,for all we know he would love to do these sorts of things but this is holding him back.

The rumour was that Damon Albarn in Blur wrote 'The Charmless Man' about Morrissey. If that is true then of course Moz would never collaborate with him. Anyway Albarn would be far too lager loutish for Moz. That said, Albarn is a damn fine singer and has worked very well with Stephen Street down through the years.
Moz's biggest mistake was ending the Street collab just because the poor guy had the balls to ask to be paid.

Damon Albarn is unbearable. Blur were in the right place at the right time. There were so many more better bands than them. Gorillaz should be banned for crimes against music. Sade has just gone up immeasurably in my estimation.

You should be banned for crimes against English: "more better"?

Cock.

The rumour was that Damon Albarn in Blur wrote 'The Charmless Man' about Morrissey. If that is true then of course Moz would never collaborate with him. Anyway Albarn would be far too lager loutish for Moz. That said, Albarn is a damn fine singer and has worked very well with Stephen Street down through the years.
Moz's biggest mistake was ending the Street collab just because the poor guy had the balls to ask to be paid.

That's not true at all. Charmless Man was a nod to the Smiths. Morrissey actually said he liked the song back in the 90s. The character described is obviously nothing like him. A public-school educated toff who gets through life thanks to family connections.
Albarn's Britpop persona was a bit laddish but it was all an act. He's written a ton of melancholic songs - probably his best genre. Damon actually formed Blur as a response to Morrissey declaring that pop music was dying (in a South Bank Show in 87). Real shame that Moz said 'no' to this (possibly due to his feelings for rap music). Would love to see the emails they exchanged.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom