Damon Albarn Irish Times interview mentions Morrissey

Damon Albarn: ‘Brexit has revealed terrible truths about the mental health of the English’ - The Irish Times
The Blur frontman on ‘Merrie Land’, Britpop, Oasis, Morrissey and John Lydon

Excerpt:

When The South Bank Show profiled Blur in 1999, Albarn revealed that when Morrissey claimed there will never be another important British band after The Smiths, his teenage self wanted to prove Morrissey wrong, while also harbouring the fantasy to say the exact same thing when he got to be on The South Bank Show himself.

“Oh, I was absolutely mortified that he said that,” Albarn howls in horror at his younger, cockier self. “You can’t do that! I’ve adored The Smiths and Morrissey my whole life.”

Recently, Morrissey endorsed a far-right fringe party, For Britain. “I don’t understand it at all,” Albarn says. “I think you have to talk to the individual to understand what they’re trying to say, but he’s a tricky fellow. My only communication with him was a series of hilarious emails when I tried to get him on the Gorillaz album, Humanz. I’d a great tune for him called Circle of Friends, but I couldn’t convince him, so he was one of those that got away. I don’t agree with his politics at all, but it doesn’t mean that when a Smiths song comes on that it doesn’t move me.”

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice interview. His comment about "I don’t agree with his politics at all, but it doesn’t mean that when a Smiths song comes on that it doesn’t move me" is exactly the way I feel. He must have known Moz would never sing on a Gorillaz album so I'd say Damon wasn't too shocked.
With that said, I don't often listen to Blur as I find their music just doesn't do it for me. Although some of the songs on Parklife (This Is A Low, To The End) are ace.

It's great that Albarn still has a lot of respect for Morrissey despite their political differences.

If only more people could be as sensible...

It's great that Albarn still has a lot of respect for Morrissey despite their political differences.

If only more people could be as sensible...

Read it again, f***-knuckle. In your defend-at-all-costs stance you've missed him not actually saying he has a lot of respect for Morrissey.

In fairness, I agree with him. Morrissey is a disgraceful racist, but Hatful Of Hollow is a masterpiece.

And as far as Blur go, Leisure is a product of it's time, but still wonderful, viz Sing and She's So High.

Last edited:
It would have been a good career move, had Morrissey guested on a Gorrilaz track. Diversification of sound would go a long way for the man, and not in the cheesy Girl from Tel Aviv kind of way, but something bold and ballsy.

Read it again, f***-knuckle. In your defend-at-all-costs stance you've missed him not actually saying he has a lot of respect for Morrissey.

In fairness, I agree with him. Morrissey is a disgraceful racist, but Hatful Of Hollow is a masterpiece.

And as far as Blur go, Leisure is a product of it's time, but still wonderful, viz Sing and She's So High.

Maybe you should read it again, Unclefatty. You've accused reelfountain of putting words in his mouth, but so did you in your virtue-signaling, erotic fervor. Nowhere does he say that Morrissey is a disgraceful racist. He refers to their email exchange as "hilarious". He suggests that chatting with him might make clear his true intent. I might not go as far as to say Albarn respects M (maybe he does respect Moz for his musical output if that's what reel meant), but speaking of Morrissey, Albarn, for the most part, seems to have a friendly tone.
This might shock you: some people are tolerant enough to like a person despite disagreeing with their political views.

It would have been a good career move, had Morrissey guested on a Gorrilaz track. Diversification of sound would go a long way for the man, and not in the cheesy Girl from Tel Aviv kind of way, but something bold and ballsy.

He only gets “bold and ballsy” when it comes to Damon Anacreonte’s circle of frenzy, methinks :ahhh::whip:

I like Him, I don't like Him, I like Him, I don't like Him....................., who gives a f*** anyway, does Morrissey like Him?? Who cares? f*** Skinny, silly old f***er, :rofl:

You're so very petulant, but then 'f***-knuckle' is the best insult I've heard in a while

Next to Morrissey, Damon's voice moves me most. Loved the three tracks here, and am going to buy the album. He seems to be like David Bowie, flitting between projects, and quite arty. Funnily enough, I hated his singing in early Blur releases. I found his vocals quite cold then....but he warmed up as they progressed, I think.

could blurs charmless man be a nod to this charming man.they were decent in their time and really captured the mood of the nineties.

Read it again please. Nowhere does he use the words you have put in his mouth "disgraceful racist". The worst he says is that Morrissey is a "tricky fellow" in the context of his politics.
Further on in the same interview he makes it clear he doesn't like John lydon and calls him bitter
He's very clear in his feelings when talking about people and his overall tone towards Morrissey's in the interview is one of respect.
And yes Hatful of Hollow is a masterpiece amongst other smiths and Solo work.

could blurs charmless man be a nod to this charming man.they were decent in their time and really captured the mood of the nineties.
I thought it was pretty obvious about Charmless Man.

"I think he'd like to have been Ronnie Kray
But then nature didn't make him that way"

In your attack-at - all - costs stance you've missed him not actually saying that Morrissey is a "disgraceful racist" but yes Hatful of Hollow is a masterpiece. I won't call you any names as I have manners.

I liked Blur and saw quite a few of the early gigs, as Damon was living in Colchester at the time and went to our local pub. They were our local band that made it big. Modern Life is Rubbish was a great album and the image was cool but it was middle-class boys pretending to be something they weren't. Not that long ago he described the town in the 80's as "hideously white". Well it was certainly white, unlike today. He got the multi-cultural shit-hole he wanted in the end.

It was rumoured to be about Brett Anderson at the time.
not according to g23 who is the resident know it all on here,because it contined a line about Ronnie kray,cheers orson.

not according to g23 who is the resident know it all on here,because it contined a line about Ronnie kray,cheers orson.
The only thing I know is you're being a bit of an asshole to me for reasons unknown. I merely interpreted it that way when I heard it between the title and several of the lyrics.

That's a bit rich coming from our vile resident racist who claims Morrissey's career went downhill as soon as he started song-writing with a non-white guitarist (J Tobias). I abhor all racism but yours may be the worst.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom