Discussion about journalism and racism (based around Siouxsie & Morrissey)

GirlAfraidWillNeverLearn

Morrissey and Siouxsie wearing Lynx shirts.

MozLynx.png
SiouxsieLynx.jpeg

They will always be a dream duo in my mind, I mean Interlude is so beautiful...

Too bad they ceased contact, reportedly after some political, nationalism-related disagreement

"Nationalism-related disagreement" :lbf:

According to her it was because Morrissey wanted a bulldog in the video. She was scared because in 1976 she got cancelled for wearing a swastika for fun.

According to him, she wanted a video where she was throwing stones at him in a park.

She tried to get in contact with him again afterwards, but failed. He still kept praising the Banshees and as of March 2020 still plays them as part of his pre-show videos.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

"Nationalism-related disagreement" :lbf:

According to her it was because Morrissey wanted a bulldog in the video. She was scared because in 1976 she got cancelled for wearing a swastika for fun.

According to him, she wanted a video where she was throwing stones at him in a park.

She tried to get in contact with him again afterwards, but failed. He still kept praising the Banshees and as of March 2020 still plays them as part of his pre-show videos.

The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

I was looking her up for a thing & came across a journalist accepting she wasn't being racist because she was upset by skinheads....

IMG_20210131_225702.jpg

20210131_225848.jpg

And an old Julie Burchill review with this:

20210131_232344.jpg

Moz would be buried at the crossroads.

Hong Kong Garden (coincidentally also produced by Lillywhite) is deliberately 'offensive'. That's the whole point of the song. It's satire.

Hong Kong Garden (coincidentally also produced by Lillywhite) is deliberately 'offensive'. That's the whole point of the song. It's satire.

Yes, you can make a case for it being satire - but the idea it isn't racist because of an anecdote recalled years later is a reach.

Also the NME at the time thought it was vivid snapshots from a Japanese train.

20210201_004130.jpg

It's just interesting the way that there's genuinely problematic things that don't bother the music press but they actually make lists for Morrissey with any old unmitigated crap on it.

It's just interesting the way that there's genuinely problematic things that don't bother the music press but they actually make lists for Morrissey with any old unmitigated crap on it.

Well, Siouxsie isn’t gay.

Yes, you can make a case for it being satire - but the idea it isn't racist because of an anecdote recalled years later is a reach.

Also the NME at the time thought it was vivid snapshots from a Japanese train.

View attachment 68123

I'm not disagreeing with your main point, but you probably know the reasons why they're treating him differently just as well as I do.

Calling Hong Kong Garden a racist song is, in my opinion, ridiculous though. Its confrontational aspects are part of what makes it great. It's punk.
It's like people getting upset about The Cure's Killing An Arab, solely based on the use of the word "Arab" (and people's laziness).

What about Iggy's and Bowie's China Girl, which is actually about a Vietnamese woman...

Well, Siouxsie isn’t gay.
Well, she's bi, but it's never been an integral part of her work and not really on people's radar since she was with Budgie for 25 years.

I'm not disagreeing with your main point, but you probably know the reasons why they're treating him differently just as well as I do.

Calling Hong Kong Garden a racist song is, in my opinion, ridiculous though. Its confrontational aspects are part of what makes it great. It's punk.
It's like people getting upset about The Cure's Killing An Arab, solely based on the use of the word "Arab" (and people's laziness).

What about Iggy's and Bowie's China Girl, which is actually about a Vietnamese woman...

I haven't given it much thought, I'd probably agree with you - I'm just constantly aghast that these debates are out there & YET no one feels the need to entirely demonise, caveat or erase these artists.

I haven't given it much thought, I'd probably agree with you - I'm just constantly aghast that these debates are out there & YET no one feels the need to entirely demonise, caveat or erase these artists.
That's how it's always been though.

Personally I'm glad there aren't MORE artists being treated this way, it would mean an end to creative freedom. Few people are as stubborn and enduring as Morrissey.

Well, she's bi, but it's never been an integral part of her work and not really on people's radar since she was with Budgie for 25 years.
didn’t know that. Well in that case I will try to find something wrong with her political views! :lbf:

But seriously though, it’s more difficult to be punk these days than it was in 77, impossible really. Poor Mozzy.

Nerak just wants equal opportunity public flogging! :lbf:;)

didn’t know that. Well in that case I will try to find something wrong with her political views! :lbf:
I think I've read exactly one interview where she said she was "neither lesbian nor hetero", or something along those lines. And I think there might have been a thing between her and Pam Hogg.

I think I've read exactly one interview where she said she was "neither lesbian nor hetero", or something along those lines. And I think there might have been a thing between her and Pam Hogg.

You mean that there once was a time when both Morrissey and Siouxsie could have gone out on double dates together and both of them could of had a Hogg on their arm?!

:ahhh: ;)

Trouble is none of them has said and done quite as much bad (or at least questionable) stuff as Morrissey has, though, over such a prolonged period of time. We're not talking about the odd remark here.
I found this thread on Twitter the other day.

Trouble is none of them has said and done quite as much bad (or at least questionable) stuff as Morrissey has, though, over such a prolonged period of time. We're not talking about the odd remark here.

If anything, he's much more positive about black music and black culture these days. Frequently endorses James Baldwin, plays songs by black acts on pre-show videos, duet with Thelma H etc.. However, in the eyes of the commentariat, it's just too little too late.

That's actually bollocks - I've been through everything terrible Morrissey is supposed to have said & it's never been the way it's portrayed.

He wasn't singling out black music - some music journalists have always had an issue with him & not only have they worked it up into a narrative - they've written out their own endless homophobic jibes at him.

This is Frank Owen's lead up to Morrissey's reggae comment... It doesn't include exactly what question he asks but it's clearly loaded & Morrissey is trying to answer it... Pete Paphides can go f*ck himself.

20210201_233156.jpg

Moz said:

20210201_233957.jpg

& ended with:

20210201_233938.jpg

Does anyone have a source for Green Gartside's accusation that Panic was racist?

Back
Top Bottom