Does Moz attract a yobbish element?

I'm 50/50 on this as I've been to four Morrissey gigs and had problems at two of them. No pattern to it either.

Wembley Arena in 2006 and Killarney 2009 - both times nearly got into a ruck with people who wanted to throw their weight around (literally in the case of Killarney, if you were there you probably remember the guy pushing his way through to the front and then nearly pulling Morrissey off the stage).

Oxford 2006 and Alexandra Palace last week - lovely gigs in terms of the people around us.

Having said that I went to see OMD at the Hammersmith Apollo (last year?) and there was a fight in the stalls, so who knows.

Moz gigs have always had an undertone of potential violence to them. He writes (or has written) about violence, football hooligans, and other aspects of menace...I think some fans project these subjects onto themselves to somehow identify themselves personally with him.
On the other hand, groups of lads having too much beer is always going to be a problem, and concerts can be a big release for people...remember there is certain anonymity in a gig crowd which is not present at football matches for example. Some long time fans have also had families/responsible jobs as they have gotten older, and these gigs are such a release from routine that people do things they otherwise wouldn't dream of doing in another environment.
Just my 2p's worth

Fantastic post - and a really good thread raised by Rachel. And there's definitely an element in each Morrissey gig I go to of 30/40-something men who have been let off the family leash for the night.

Hah! Tell me about it! At Ally Pally on Thursday he threw his shirt and it landed, thankfully, a few feet away from me - I've never seen a reaction quite like it; it was as if he'd thrown a steak to a pack of malnourished wolves. I've been to countless concerts but have never experienced the level of aggression I've seen at Morrissey shows. I love seeing him perform but nerves of steel are definitely required, at least if you want to be close to the stage.

Exactly, I was there as the shirt went in and someone got thrown back into me, elbowing me in the chest (completely by accident) but I was winded and it hurt all the next day. People couldn't really give a shit as long as they get the shirt; I've already got a bit of shirt and it's not worth hurting someone for.

I'm going to put this on a t-shirt. :clap:
Do you mind?

Go right ahead. I think a picture of Moz's hairy arse on the back would really make it a lovely statement. ;)

Quality post that

Thanks.

The funny thing is that these guys were a bunch of yobbish NYC punks. :rolleyes: They would have given anyone a hard time, but Morrissey seemed like an especially good target (they couldn't get over the whole celibacy thing).

The fact that Moz totally outmanned them just warms the cockles of my heart every time I think about it.

E People couldn't really give a shit as long as they get the shirt; I've already got a bit of shirt and it's not worth hurting someone for.

Agree with you there. I hate the shirt throwing fights.
Also,in my experience,it has been the women that have been the most rabidly aggressive in the fights.

Three questions:

Does Moz particularly attract a yobbish element?

Has this always been the case?

If he does attract yobs, why?

I'm not trying to start an argument - just mulling things over and thinking out loud - and I'm definitely not saying that all Morrissey fans are yobs (I'm obviously a fan myself and the Liverpool show was ruined by *one* person out of 8000, most of whom had come along to enjoy a great show and not cause any trouble).

I know there are worse audiences (I've heard from people who've been to Oasis concerts and - even if their music were better - nothing
would convince me to go to one of their shows.) However, out of the bands/singers that I'm fans of, the Morrissey audience is definitely
the most yobbish.

I'm not sure to what extent this has always been the case - When I started going to Moz gigs in about '95, it was definitely rough in the sense of crowd movement and surging forward - and after a tour, you'd usually have horizontal bruises across your body, marking the barrier height at each of the different venues but (while I may be remembering it through rose-tinted glasses) I don't remember as much drunken thuggery. You'd get some thuggish security guards but there weren't as many scuffles between security
and the fans - although that's probably simply because fans were allowed up on stage to hug Moz, whereas now this has, understandably, been stopped. Maybe, since this change, some people go into the gig with the idea that they need to use violence and force to get to Morrissey and that mentality affects the way they behave throughout the gig?

On the one hand, I can remember an early Moz quote where he said that Smiths audiences didn't spit but brought flowers instead, seeing that rejection of thuggishness as a positive thing. However, his lyrics have always contained an attraction to violence, even in the Smiths era (although he's perhaps embraced it more openly in the post-Smiths era). Do you think this affects the audience he attracts and/or the way his audience behave during a gig?

There's also the idea of there being a particularly passionate relationship between Moz and his fans which I think some parts of the audience believe justifies them in doing anything to express that passion i.e. using violence to push and punch their way to the barrier (even though they obviously weren't passionate enough to queue up all day like the people they are attacking...).

I don't want to single out any particular part of the audience as there are good and bad in all groups but do you think the Moz revival (ie Quarry onwards, where it was suddenly cool to like Moz again) has changed the atmosphere at Moz concerts?

The biggest change I've noticed in terms of the audience demographic is the return of former Smiths fans. I've met a lot of (mainly nice) people who liked the Smiths, hadn't been to a Moz concert or really followed his career since the Smiths split but now that a) he's playing quite a few Smiths songs and b) it's acceptable to like him again, they are coming to his solo shows. Greater popularity/media attention (compared to the wilderness years after Maladjusted) has probably also attracted more casual audience members (particularly to a show like Liverpool which wasn't sold out and, where I believe touts were selling tickets at low prices). What effect do you think casual and nostalgia concert-goers are having on the audience? Is it significant that Moz had a missile lobbed at him when he switched from playing a well-known, Smiths hit to a recent album track? (i.e. Did someone get bored and fed up with a track they didn't know?)

Thank you for starting this thread. It is a breath of fresh air!
I do feel that this 'element' has become more prevalent in recent years. Talk of this being his possible last tour (something I have heard EVERY year since 2001) and a retained reputation as a performer who can (sometimes) produce a heart-wrenching 80 minutes has definitely increased the curious 'casual observer' demographic.
But, this boorish element is not entirely limited to Morrissey! I stopped going to see Bloc Party. Because, once they became better-known, I was absolutely appalled at having to argue and stand my ground with an increasing number of staggering-drunk, coked-up cocky little pricks. I do not relish, and will NEVER accept being actually physically shoved out of the way by someone (who is half my age) every ten minutes, because he wants to load his nose with a narcotic that's inevitably going to make him even more of a wanker.
In my opinion, in recent years, gigs have become the new 'clubbing'. I, very curtly, told a very young 'fashionista' to "f*** right off" at The Roundhouse last year because she was bellowing down her phone (merely inches from my face) for several minutes whilst Morrissey was playing 'Something is Squeezing My Skull'. She obviously knew very little of the material and, being bored, felt that her time would be better spent telling her friend that she was at a Morrissey gig, rather than actually experiencing the said event....
I believe that the 'Celebrity' of Morrissey is now becoming as important to these Casual Observers as the music. If not more so....People are becoming more obsessed with picking up a signed vinyl, catching a thrown shirt, or shaking the man's hand than actually hearing him sing 'The More You Ignore Me' or 'Satan Rejected My Soul' again!
I feel my heart sink whenever people arrive at close to 9pm and steadfastly begin aggressively shoving their way to the front. And it now happens every single bloody time that I see Morrissey. He has become something akin to a Sideshow spectacle for some people.... I AM aware that these things have always happened. But, they used to be a rare occurrence. NOT something that happens every time I venture out to see a band play live.
I have seen The Pixies play several times since their reunion in 2003. Having loved them since a friend brought back a copy of 'Surfer Rosa/Come On Pilgrim', I relish seeing them play. But, NOTHING prepared me for the joyous amusement I felt when I saw them at Alexandra Palace. Witnessing several audience members fleeing speedily in droves when they launched into 'Vamos'. Pain etched on their little white faces... But, I find audience members courteous and friendly at those gigs. People seem to be more enamoured with the music than with anything else...The Kings Of Leon are another band where people will listen to the only track they know ('Sex On Fire') and talk through the rest...I am ever-bemused that people will spend up to £42 on a ticket and talk throughout the performance!!!
But, there could be several reasons for this missile being thrown in Liverpool. I have been drenched several times at gigs over the years. The last time at the first resheduled Morrissey Brixton night in June. I sincerely believe that the (beered-up) perpetrator of my soaking was just simply over-excited. His reflex was to launch his beverage when Morrissey walked on stage. Not AT anyone. He wasn't aggressive. Just unable to hold his alcohol....As for this guy...Was he reacting to a similar-style soaking? With the intention of getting revenge on the person who drenched him? Did he mis-judge and hit Morrissey? We will never know. I do, however feel deeply sorry for everyone who missed out on what promised to be a great night. The ethics of whether he should have played on will always be mere conjecture. I don't claim to have an answer. I was very disappointed when he postponed The Troxy and the three Brixton nights. But, I loved every second of them when he finally played them.
However, I suspect that I will not be attending my usual six or seven Morrissey gigs per year from now on. The shine is fading for me. Plus, there are only so many Smiths songs, that I hold dear, that I can stand to hear murdered night after night....But, that's just my humble opinion!!!

Last edited:
Yes, but I think it's a minority that's always been there since The Smiths at their peak. I went to Smiths gigs that were absolutely wild, almost violent. I was at the recent Sheffield gig and there were two lads in front of me that were so pissed, they could hardly stand up. They were throwing bottles randomly into the crowd and smoking. I've been at the front at dozens of gigs since 91 and some you just thought that it was all going to kick off at any moment. It comes with popularity, I guess.

I'm by no means a veteran of old, but I've been to about 25 shows since the Boxers tour in 95...my feeling is that there has always been a rough element. I remember the London Forum shows in 1999...nearly getting trampled on three nights running by latecomers making for the barrier.

Problem is now though, the fact that Morrissey is playing places which hold 10,000ish people instead of 3000-4000 is that there are a lot of people who are turning up who are indifferent, and a minority within who can spoil things for others, due to either general ignorance or just boredom.

Part of me wonders if Morrissey would have walked off at the Echo if the recent crowds had been more enthusiatic. I mean, compare the footage of the standing area at RAH or Liverpool against the standing area as it was, let's say, at Battersea Power Station in 1997. It's like comparing a pond rippled by a skimming stone against North Devon surf in Winter.

I guess that in order to get a label, Morrissey had to court a mass-appeal...as a result, the audience has become mainstream as well...bringing mainstream oikish tendencies with it. Whilst I really enjoyed the three shows I got to this year, I know that none of shows from Quarry onwards has eclipsed let's say Brixton 2002 or the Forum gigs (ok, maybe MEN 2004 was better than Aylesbury Civic Centre!).

Anyway, what happenned at the weekend is really saddenning, I considered going but fortunately called it a day at Ally Pally...I only hope the tour picks up tonight in Holland and passes off with the only thing of note being the performance. Without wishing to be chastised or abused for saying it, I really hope Morrissey closes his touring career on a higher note than this, The Year of Bemusal.

Some cracking posts here and I defo agree that going to concerts is the new clubbing, more and more casual 'one song' loving twats getting in the way at all concerts which is shitty on proper fans.

This is not a new problem. As stated by others it was the same with The Smiths.

The gig at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1986 was total carnage - people jumping on stage, bouncers punching and kicking people.

To be fair it happens at lots of gigs and is a pain in the backside.

Back
Top Bottom