Dream Pop and Shoegaze

Slowdive are back and here's their bootleg from their London gig this week!

Last edited by a moderator:
shoegaze is my absolute favorite subgenre of music. it's wondeful, the sounds made in the afterlife of your choosing.

slowdive reunited and is touring as we speak. swervedriver reunited a few uears ago, but I missed it, damn the misfortune. and also my bloody valentine played the same night as morrissey and we already had gotten our morrissey tickets. we sped to the other venue and got there as MBV was done. literally heard the last "duh duh."

A.R. Kane! "When you're sad" big fan here.

I consider the Chameleons (another of my favorite bands) more along the lines of the Smiths and Easterhouse than shoegaze. All 3 of those bands are unique and brilliant.

also check out

Felt
Chapterhouse
school of seven bells
Toy
Velochrome
cloudy busey
slow motion rider
mogwai
tears run rings
fleeting joys
soundpool
tripseat
space team electra
caiman
sigur ros

just my opinion, but beach house and mazzy star aren't shoegaze, are they? if they are, then what about silversun pickups? they dip into shoegaze at least once or twice on each album. black rebel motorcycle club? sonic youth? Low? Legendary Pink Dots? Fever Ray? Flaming Lips? the horrors? Ed Hale and the Transcendence? and what about recent Smashing Pumpkins? i think each of those bands, even interpol, release shoegaze tracks on otherwise not shoegaze releases. I could post shoedaze songs by each one of those bands.

swervedriver tops the lot in my humble abode. one of my favorite bands of any genre and nestled snug up against the cocteau twins, my bloody valentine and slowdive: my quadfecta of delicious shoegaze.

I agree. Beach House and Mazzy Star definitely aren't shoegaze. Wow, I've never heard many people liking Swervedriver. I'm not even sure if they are properly shoegaze. Felt isn't though.
Thanks for a list of those bands. I've heard of most of them, but I haven't listened to one or two.

Given Space Team Electra a listen and I like this currently! Thanks for the names. Are you happy about the Slowdive reunion?

I Love me some Shoegazey goodness ! some of my favorites / songs are :

Swallow - BLOW -(Album)

Adorable - Sunshine Smile

Medicine - time Baby III (featuring Elizabeth Fraiser)

Inspiral Carpets - This is How It Feels

SoundPool

Vitesse - Just for one Night

Felt - Primitive Painters

The Vanity Press (San Antonio Local)

The Musik Box (San Antonio Local)

Last edited:
so im gonna throw out an american band and album thats not really shoegaze in the identity terms you might know but if you like the guitar style this might float your boat. two guitars playing lead rhythm and rhythm lead respectfully :) in six eight time thats extremely euphorics. it is clean in its guitar tone but i think it has a lot of elements oif both shoegaze and dream pop though it not either really. this got pitchforks best new reissue a week ago if that matters at all to you

american football - never meant
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_DMGZ-JrY

they would both start together but make there repetitive looping guitar parts each be a different number of measures so that they would slowly slide out of synch and back again at certain times making it have this weird synchranicity/counter at the same time. hypnotically beautiful. sings about as strongly as the guy from ride though

A ghost just added Beach House to my Pandora list. :cool: Not bad...not bad at all...

I've only just gotten into Ariel Pink. This song is lovely and dreamy. I absolutely adore the video, it's very Lou and Andy of "Little Britain"

I've only just gotten into Ariel Pink. This song is lovely and dreamy. I absolutely adore the video, it's very Lou and Andy of "Little Britain"

Ariel is a genius. I went into his entire catalog recently. I've pared all my favorite tracks to down to 12 hours. You can listen to his more obscure haunted graffiti low-fi stuff on Spotify. Worn Copy, Lover Boy, and House Arrest are just as good as his recent higher fidelity albums, you just have to get past the recorded to an 80s boombox sound quality. He is Beck crossed with Zappa but more talented than both.

His friend John Maus is also kind of a genius as well. A hot and insane one at that. And the critics like him as well....http://www.metacritic.com/music/we-must-become-the-pitiless-censors-of-ourselves/john-maus

yeah hes great. early stuff is good as well. got into him and girls kinda at the same time

Ariel is a genius. I went into his entire catalog recently. I've pared all my favorite tracks to down to 12 hours. You can listen to his more obscure haunted graffiti low-fi stuff on Spotify. Worn Copy, Lover Boy, and House Arrest are just as good as his recent higher fidelity albums, you just have to get past the recorded to an 80s boombox sound quality. He is Beck crossed with Zappa but more talented than both.

His friend John Maus is also kind of a genius as well. A hot and insane one at that. And the critics like him as well....http://www.metacritic.com/music/we-must-become-the-pitiless-censors-of-ourselves/john-maus

Love both of these crazy mofos

Back
Top Bottom