Eddie Vedder re: Bonfire Of Teenagers: "some of the best Morrissey stuff I’d heard in years" / Andrew Watt confirmed as producer (January 14, 2022)

Eddie Vedder says new Morrissey record is "some of the best Morrissey stuff I've heard in years"

pearljamonline.it are quoting Vedder's Mojo interview (issue 340/March).

Other media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well whose else's opinion are you gonna give? Nothing wrong with your own one :)

Yes he has some weak albums but even they are stronger albums than the best of Marr's solo stuff.
Wow, set the bar low.
I hope Eddie Vedder tours with Morrissey and they sing "Jeremy/Teachers Are Afraid of the Pupils" for an encore.

I was thinking about this last night. I think Morrissey has 3 truly great albums: Viva Hate, Your Arsenal, and Vauxhall and I. For sure, I'd say YATQ is a very good but maybe not quite a great album. After that, it's a mixed bag of weak to OK albums. Just my opinion of course.
Let's get this straight. Quarry is not his second best solo album after Maladjusted. It is for me the best in the phase 2004 - 2020 and it could have been one of his best in general, with another producer. Therefore, everything by Morrissey in the 80s and 90s was still better. Even the freaks, joining the latter-day cult of Morrissey (2014 and beyond) will learn that someday.

Morrissey's albums I have more listened to:

Vauxhall and I
and then, with no order, Viva Hate, my own Bona Drag (All the singles and B sides in the publishing order), World Peace is None of Your Business.

Does it make them the best? I don't know, but they are sure my favorites.

Your favorites are the best to you, which is all that really matters.

Let's get this straight. Quarry is not his second best solo album after Maladjusted. It is for me the best in the phase 2004 - 2020 and it could have been one of his best in general, with another producer. Therefore, everything by Morrissey in the 80s and 90s was still better. Even the freaks, joining the latter-day cult of Morrissey (2014 and beyond) will learn that someday.
Quarry is so overrated I can't even begin...

Morrissey's albums I have more listened to:

Vauxhall and I
and then, with no order, Viva Hate, my own Bona Drag (All the singles and B sides in the publishing order), World Peace is None of Your Business.

Does it make them the best? I don't know, but they are sure my favorites.
I probably listen to Quarry the least out of all of them.

Quarry B sides is another story.

Quarry is so overrated I can't even begin...
I couldn't agree more Mr Marred.
An album full of largely muddled/foolish lyrics set to weak melodies. There's so much crap on it and only one genuinely great song (plus a couple more that are OK to listen to).
I generally agree with fan consensus when it comes to his stuff (i.e. Vauxhall, Arsenal and Viva are the three best albums) but how anyone can consider Quarry to be anywhere near the top end of his back catalogue is baffling. At least there's some consolation in the fact that he seems to agree with this now, as virtually none of the songs ever gets played live anymore.

Last edited:
Cuando cuando cuando

I couldn't agree more Mr Marred.
An album full of largely muddled/foolish lyrics set to weak melodies. There's so much crap on it and only one genuinely great song (plus a couple more that are OK to listen to).
I generally agree with fan consensus when it comes to his stuff (i.e. Vauxhall, Arsenal and Viva are the three best albums) but how anyone can consider Quarry to be anywhere near the top end of his back catalogue is baffling. At least there's some consolation in the fact that he seems to agree with this now, as virtually none of the songs ever gets played live anymore.
I play Quarry to hear - Come Back To Camden, I Like You, You Know I Couldn't Last and Irish Blood, English Heart. The rest I'll listen to but they do very little for me.

Apart from Daddy's Voice there's hardly a bad tune on the 2nd disc of the deluxe CD version.

Whether people love or like or loathe Quarry we all have to admit that America Is Not The World is the most cringe song of all time that he has penned. Musically it's not bad but lyrically it sounds as if a woke pink haired gender studies teen wrote it.

Last edited:
You Are the Quarry has its moments and it was an improvement over the two albums that preceded it. The four singles and Come Back to Camden saw to that.

The choice of producer was a much-needed change of direction and Morrissey had more purpose and confidence than on Maladjusted.

Under normal circumstances, it obviously would never have been quite that successful, though.

Criticising Maladjusted in this context is certainly not a nice move, lacks any basis and is far too short-sighted. It remains one of the misunderstood gems in his back catalogue and more I will not say.

I love America Is Not the World and making it the opening track is the most Morrissey thing he could have done. It was as if he thought, "this could really be a big record for me. How can I f that up?"

Criticising Maladjusted in this context is certainly not a nice move, lacks any basis and is far too short-sighted. It remains one of the misunderstood gems in his back catalogue and more I will not say.
Hardly that. It makes sense to discuss the release that came immediately before when discussing any album. Context.

Tags
bonfire of teenagers

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom