Elvis Costello slates Morrissey in Queens

Elvis Costello slated Morrissey tonight. He was saying something about how he wished the main, primary Elvis hadn't died because he would have made a killing covering 80s songs. But, he said, he couldn't imagine him covering Morrissey songs; he'd do better with Duran Duran, and he sang a bit of an impression of Presley singing a bit of "Rio." Such scorn.

Morrissey plays the same venue (well, maybe) 7 September. It'll be okay, you really can't smell the hotdog stand from the front rows.

UPDATE July 25:

Posted by docinwestchester:

I was there. Fun night:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty easy to imagine Elvis singing Morrissey songs. He's right, Elvis would have probably had the biggest comeback in history.

Umm... If that's all he said, I can't interpret that necessarily as a dig towards Moz. He might be just saying that Morrissey's songs can't be covered, because he sings them in such an original and inimitable manner.

I can't really imagine Elvis covering Smiths songs, for the most part. There are a few Morrissey solo songs I could see.

Elvis Costello slated Morrissey tonight. He was saying something about how he wished the main, primary Elvis hadn't died because he would have made a killing covering 80s songs. But, he said, he couldn't imagine him covering Morrissey songs; he'd do better with Duran Duran, and he sang a bit of an impression of Presley singing a bit of "Rio." Such scorn.

Morrissey plays the same venue (well, maybe) 7 September. It'll be okay, you really can't smell the hotdog stand from the front rows.
Hardly a damning indictment of Morrissey! Hardly says anything about Morrissey but indicates Costello hasn't the vocal range to cover Morrissey's songs, finding Duran Duran easier.

Speaking as a someone who will never see Morrissey again because of his stupid mouth of late, I have the following message to Elvis Costello (real name Declan McManus):-

You are a fraud. You accepted an honour from the Queen in the name of the British Empire. As a son of Ireland that is inexcusable. You think it an honour to be accepted for praise in the name of our old colonial masters, who starved our ancestors to death? And don’t hide behind your aged Mother. You have a brain in your head and have expressed views in the past that go entirely against what you’ve gone and done. Shame on you.

I don't take that as a dig at Morrissey but Costello is a short man so you never know
Me neither, just fancied slagging Costello off really... he hasn’t really been controversial since Oliver’s army , about 79 me thinks, when he used a certain word that” ahem” should never rear its face again in polite society.

Well done Elvis. Elvis C is a proper songwriter and not a winey old Git like Morrisey who only wrote a couple of reasonable tunes. Meat is Murder - so is listening to Morrisey

Me neither, just fancied slagging Costello off really... he hasn’t really been controversial since Oliver’s army , about 79 me thinks, when he used a certain word that” ahem” should never rear its face again in polite society.

Morrissey just needs to do an album with The Roots and all will be forgiving

I can't really imagine Elvis covering Smiths songs, for the most part. There are a few Morrissey solo songs I could see.
If Elvis can sing schmaltz like "In The Ghetto" he can sing "I Know It's Over." And if you can't hear him singing things like "Sheila, Take A Bow" in a rockabilly way, then you lack imagination.

If Elvis can sing schmaltz like "In The Ghetto" he can sing "I Know It's Over." And if you can't hear him singing things like "Sheila, Take A Bow" in a rockabilly way, then you lack imagination.

I'll rephrase: I can feasibly imagine Elvis singing most songs. The thought of him singing most Smiths songs just seems weird to me. I guess because we never got to experience Elvis performing in the post-punk/new wave era.

hes had digs on and off for years.wank.

I'll rephrase: I can feasibly imagine Elvis singing most songs. The thought of him singing most Smiths songs just seems weird to me. I guess because we never got to experience Elvis performing in the post-punk/new wave era.
the thing about elvis is that he could sing anything,from rock to gospel and soul to classics like my way and bridge over troubled waters being my personal favourites.ps I remember you is also fantastic.

Hound dog cryin all the time

Elvis singing trouble loves me would be pretty sweet and easy to imagine. This also isn’t really getting slated is it

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom