Elvis Costello slates Morrissey in Queens

Elvis Costello slated Morrissey tonight. He was saying something about how he wished the main, primary Elvis hadn't died because he would have made a killing covering 80s songs. But, he said, he couldn't imagine him covering Morrissey songs; he'd do better with Duran Duran, and he sang a bit of an impression of Presley singing a bit of "Rio." Such scorn.

Morrissey plays the same venue (well, maybe) 7 September. It'll be okay, you really can't smell the hotdog stand from the front rows.

UPDATE July 25:

Posted by docinwestchester:

I was there. Fun night:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well he doesn't really slate Morrissey at all, at least I don't see it that way, it was quite funny actually. If anything, it just makes me think of how big Morrissey is in the US, I'd say probably more popular than ever.

You are right but most people on here are thick

Hardly a damning indictment of Morrissey! Hardly says anything about Morrissey but indicates Costello hasn't the vocal range to cover Morrissey's songs, finding Duran Duran easier.

Course it’s a dig. He’s always took shots at morrisseys music. What was it he said, “Morrissey writes great song titles, but forgets to write the song”

Oh not that scouse clown as well and how in the hell did he end up with a career in music?

These third rate artists now sees a chance for a final pay day before they do the honorable thing and die.

I hope it is pain.

It's always strikes me how Elvis Costello who now bows and serves the Monarchy can sleep at night let alone string a sentence of words that merely highlights his lack of talent and integrity. Never rated him, his Father is more famous in my world. Singing R Whites Lemonade.

Elvis Costello slated Morrissey tonight. He was saying something about how he wished the main, primary Elvis hadn't died because he would have made a killing covering 80s songs. But, he said, he couldn't imagine him covering Morrissey songs; he'd do better with Duran Duran, and he sang a bit of an impression of Presley singing a bit of "Rio." Such scorn.

Morrissey plays the same venue (well, maybe) 7 September. It'll be okay, you really can't smell the hotdog stand from the front rows.

UPDATE July 25:

Posted by docinwestchester:

I was there. Fun night:

I'll rephrase: I can feasibly imagine Elvis singing most songs. The thought of him singing most Smiths songs just seems weird to me. I guess because we never got to experience Elvis performing in the post-punk/new wave era.
In the past, I would have come to the same conclusion as well. But, like yourself, I have come to the point that I can see Elvis singing most songs and, really, anything (as another post had pointed out). He had ventured into every genre, for the most part, prior to his death. It would not surprise me in the least that opera was not far behind Elvis, let alone the post-punk/new wave era of opportunity. Elvis was a great interpreter of music and Morrissey a craftsman of his music. Nevertheless, I have realized that the more I have listened to both of these artists through the years (as I am a fan of both), it is not so much that they sound similar (in the general sense) but it is the way they both sing that makes the two comparable (along with the incredible stage presence of both, of course) . The song "You'll Be Gone" is a perfect illustration of both. Early Morrissey (via The Smiths) is comparable to Early Elvis. Vocally, compare the song, "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" to "Tomorrow Night," for example. In fact, alternate a track listing of an Elvis and Morrissey/Smiths song and you would be quite surprised. I have done that with my own home made collection with different pictures of both artists on the cover of each one. Very cool looking.

Here is a sample listing: 1) Sister I'm a Poet (Live Version) - Morrissey then 2) (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame - Elvis; then 3) Well I Wonder - The Smiths; then 4) Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be) - Elvis; then 5) Suedehead - Morrissey. Another example, Ask - The Smiths then Such A Night - Elvis. Another example, (You're The) Devil in Disguise - Elvis and then Sing Your Life - Morrissey; then Follow That Dream - Elvis, and so on. Slow songs: Seasick, Yet Still Docked - Morrissey then That's Someone You Never Forget - Elvis then I've Changed My Plea To Guilty - Morrissey, then Indescribably Blue - Elvis then I'd Love To - Morrissey, etc., etc. You get the idea. I have a track listing that covers at least 10 cds at the least, I would imagine, on its own merit. It is not difficult, although, most of solo Morrissey is early Morrissey (before '00s). After that, one has to be very selective -- very minimal for the crossover of the two to work. Elvis had far more material to work with. Otherwise, the years go from '50s, '60s and some '70s Elvis to '80s, '90s and very minimal '00s Morrissey. So, yes, the two are far more comparable then one might be lead to believe otherwise. Elvis' "Blue Moon" is very, very Morrissey-ish, if you will, is another example. It is closest to the brooding of Morrissey as Elvis usually offsets this brooding, heh-heh, but in his own way. Elvis is not immune though. Now, Morrissey's song selection of present is closer to Elvis prior to his death and not a bad thing. In any case, all of this is a good topic of discussion. I could write a book (though a very thin one, mind you, unfortunately) on this topic of these two great artists alone. Haha. Hey, you take care now. -- Eric

In the past, I would have come to the same conclusion as well. But, like yourself, I have come to the point that I can see Elvis singing most songs and, really, anything (as another post had pointed out). He had ventured into every genre, for the most part, prior to his death. It would not surprise me in the least that opera was not far behind Elvis, let alone the post-punk/new wave era of opportunity. Elvis was a great interpreter of music and Morrissey a craftsman of his music. Nevertheless, I have realized that the more I have listened to both of these artists through the years (as I am a fan of both), it is not so much that they sound similar (in the general sense) but it is the way they both sing that makes the two comparable (along with the incredible stage presence of both, of course) . The song "You'll Be Gone" is a perfect illustration of both. Early Morrissey (via The Smiths) is comparable to Early Elvis. Vocally, compare the song, "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" to "Tomorrow Night," for example. In fact, alternate a track listing of an Elvis and Morrissey/Smiths song and you would be quite surprised. I have done that with my own home made collection with different pictures of both artists on the cover of each one. Very cool looking.

Here is a sample listing: 1) Sister I'm a Poet (Live Version) - Morrissey then 2) (Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame - Elvis; then 3) Well I Wonder - The Smiths; then 4) Any Way You Want Me (That's How I Will Be) - Elvis; then 5) Suedehead - Morrissey. Another example, Ask - The Smiths then Such A Night - Elvis. Another example, (You're The) Devil in Disguise - Elvis and then Sing Your Life - Morrissey; then Follow That Dream - Elvis, and so on. Slow songs: Seasick, Yet Still Docked - Morrissey then That's Someone You Never Forget - Elvis then I've Changed My Plea To Guilty - Morrissey, then Indescribably Blue - Elvis then I'd Love To - Morrissey, etc., etc. You get the idea. I have a track listing that covers at least 10 cds at the least, I would imagine, on its own merit. It is not difficult, although, most of solo Morrissey is early Morrissey (before '00s). After that, one has to be very selective -- very minimal for the crossover of the two to work. Elvis had far more material to work with. Otherwise, the years go from '50s, '60s and some '70s Elvis to '80s, '90s and very minimal '00s Morrissey. So, yes, the two are far more comparable then one might be lead to believe otherwise. Elvis' "Blue Moon" is very, very Morrissey-ish, if you will, is another example. It is closest to the brooding of Morrissey as Elvis usually offsets this brooding, heh-heh, but in his own way. Elvis is not immune though. Now, Morrissey's song selection of present is closer to Elvis prior to his death and not a bad thing. In any case, all of this is a good topic of discussion. I could write a book (though a very thin one, mind you, unfortunately) on this topic of these two great artists alone. Haha. Hey, you take care now. -- Eric
By the way, to add further comments to this Elvis-Morrissey thread (alas Elvissey)...there is one significant area where the two were/are 360 degrees apart in that Elvis was a God-fearing man whereas Morrissey is not, unfortunately. Elvis certainly related to every single of life's problems or issues as speedily as Morrissey had written it all up. We know Morrissey, yes, but today (without question), Elvis' direction would look something like this and a wise choice (in spite of my desire to hear this individual sing a few Morrissey/Smiths songs otherwise). This choice is far better and wiser indeed:

-- Eric

By the way, to add further comments to this Elvis-Morrissey thread (alas Elvissey)...there is one significant area where the two were/are 360 degrees apart in that Elvis was a God-fearing man whereas Morrissey is not, unfortunately. Elvis certainly related to every single of life's problems or issues as speedily as Morrissey had written it all up. We know Morrissey, yes, but today (without question), Elvis' direction would look something like this and a wise choice (in spite of my desire to hear this individual sing a few Morrissey/Smiths songs otherwise). This choice is far better and wiser indeed:

-- Eric

Morrissey is now a Christian

Wow...I was not aware of that. Throwing all facetiousness aside (characteristic of boards and comments all over the Internet, sadly), I will just say this...only God can judge the heart...human nature, by and large, is very good at doing just that -- deceiving. Nothing more and nothing less. There are degrees of sin, yes? A 'sin' nature. But, ultimately, what can truly change the heart? I come from a city where 22 people were recently killed in a mass shooting and 24 wounded. Have you heard about that? From a local Walmart right alongside I-10? No matter how small or great the sin (from whomever), "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jeremiah 17:9, NKJV). Personally, I would keep a very weary eye on those 'globalist elites' in play and in hand at this point to tell you the truth. Gun control is not going to reform nor change the human heart nor this country (or any other country for that matter). Perhaps outwardly, but it isn't going to fool anyone down the line. Black, white, brown, red, etc. -- it doesn't matter. Someone could injury someone with a paper clip if they so desire or not (facetious or not). You get the point (no pun intended). Such naivety coming from these folks who think gun control will solve the problem will only make matters worse. Law enforcement will always have guns, the black market will always have guns. Worse yet, they will always be available to criminals and those who seek them out. Specifically, will criminals gleefully turn in their guns out of the goodness of their heart? Globalism is certainly not the answer. It is both sad and interesting that El Paso, Texas was the ideal location and target of this 'international' scheme, mind you (involving Mexico). Read the following link and tell me you disagree:

http://studygrowknowblog.com/2019/08/06/gun-control-red-flag-laws-and-potus/

I still remember this famous quote from a spare tire cover on the back of a white van, and so true it is, that stated simply, "Blaming guns for Columbine is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell being fat."

From a Mexican-American who was born in this country and my father before me and his father before him...
America is my country. In fact, Burt Reynolds in 'Navajo Joe' couldn't have said this any better himself either.
You take care now.

-- Eric

Wow! I didn't know that Morrissey has become a Christian. This is such wonderful news if it is true. Do you know when he became a Christian?

I knew that Morrissey had been brought up in the Roman Catholic Church. Do you know which Christian denomination he is these days?

I was saved in 2011 that was when I came to know Lord Jesus Christ and came to faith. Jesus is my Lord and Saviour and also my best friend. I'm a born-again, Bible-believing Christian. I guess people would call me a Protestant but I'm not a Calvinist though or into the Arminianism doctrine.

We call people who are not Christians, non-believers, not saved who have yet to come to faith the "lost" as in poor "lost souls" who are lost in their sin.

It is wonderful if Morrissey is now a brother in Christ he could use his celebrity to help with spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ what we call the "good news". The gospel just means the "good news".

The famous 1960s English singer Helen Shapiro is now a Christian she spreads the gospel and she has no interest in fame and fortune anymore. Helen Shapiro was brought up in the Jewish faith she is now a Messianic Jew.

God bless you brother for posting this really good news! :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom