Emo and music closely related...

ForgetMe

Somebody's Luckless Son
I'm pretty sure there are people here on this board that are into late eighties, early to mid nineties emo. Looking mostly at the kids into hardcore and punk. Lately I've been really into:

Elliott
American Football
Cap'n Jazz
The Appleseed Cast (Would you consider them emo? Either way, so good)
Knapsack

Anyone else???

I'm pretty sure there are people here on this board that are into late eighties, early to mid nineties emo. Looking mostly at the kids into hardcore and punk. Lately I've been really into:

Elliott
American Football
Cap'n Jazz
Knapsack

Anyone else???
Knapsack are one of my favorite. Have you heard Jealous Sound? Blair formed this band after Knapsack.
I also fancy Jawbreaker, Rites Of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Promise Ring, Braid, Rainer Maria, early Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, Joan Of Arc..etc

I wish I had some Appleseed Cast albums. I heard them first years ago and was impressed, and depressed of course.

Mineral and Sunny Day are definitely two of my favorite emo bands. I recently downloaded The Jealous Sound, but have yet to give them a substantial listen. I'll do so at work today. Jawbreaker and Promise Ring are also up there for me. I just got Joan of Arc and for Braid, Rainer Maria, and Jimmy Eat World, like The Jealous Sound, I've never really taken the time to sit down and just listen to them despite of the good things I've heard. I'll have to change that.

Here is a link to a blog that has Appleseed Cast albums if you wanted to dl them:

http://itwillbeheard.blogspot.com/2009/05/appleseed-cast.html

I used to listen to Elliott and Mineral back in my super emo-fied days when I thought it was cool to go to the salvation army and buy grandpa clothes...like cabbie hats and plaid pants. :o

I still love Jimmy Eat World though. :thumb:

Elliott
American Football
Cap'n Jazz
Knapsack

Anyone else???

Knapsack are one of my favorite. Have you heard Jealous Sound? Blair formed this band after Knapsack.
I also fancy Jawbreaker, Rites Of Spring, Sunny Day Real Estate, Promise Ring, Braid, Rainer Maria, early Jimmy Eat World, Mineral, Joan Of Arc..etc

I adore Jawbreaker. Rites of Spring, Braid and American Football are pretty great too.

emo should be labeled in waves like ska is.

anyways, here are some i like:
indian summer
julia
moss icon
september
still life
policy of 3
swing kids
ivich
frail
cap n jazz
spirit of versailles
moonraker
portraits of past
current

check out 'thorns of life'(new jawbreaker) and 'current'(sounds just like ros...discography on council records)

Yeah, I've been following the videos that have been put up on youtube and blogs but none have really been good enough quality to tell how the songs will turn out. I have high hopes though, even though I didn't care much for Jets to Brazil. His voice does sound quite different now

I'll definitely check out Current. Thanks :)

emo?:ha-no:

sorry nugz, i gotta be an elitist jerk every once in awhile...;):D

you be quiet. i was a sheltered child, and this was during my jr year of college, and i went to a CHRISTIAN college in CENTRAL PA. that was our version of "emo." :o:p

people i know in rl say i am emo, but i do not think they mean my music :eek:
regardless, i decided to look up what "emo music" is technically
33.gif

now its seems in emo's beginning it had something to do with Ian MacKaye
which is something i vaguely remember, also, the Smiths seem to seen as "emo" by many
then there is bands like Jawbreaker who i saw live more than once since i was an early follower of Nirvana, but does that make Nirvana emo
06.gif

once again, i think Kurt was an emo dude, but i dont think their music was :straightface:
moving on to the mid 90s:
finally a band i love which i guess clearly had an emo phase:
Weezer :guitar:
and then here near the end of the article it says something about Joy Division and the Cure being emoIsh
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo
:rolleyes:
and i play a lot of them, but i would never relegate them such a label as emo :cool:

Yeah, I've been following the videos that have been put up on youtube and blogs but none have really been good enough quality to tell how the songs will turn out. I have high hopes though, even though I didn't care much for Jets to Brazil. His voice does sound quite different now

I'll definitely check out Current. Thanks :)
i got to see them in at a house show before i heard any of the internet stuff... so i was blown away. closest thing i'll get to seeing jawbreaker. i think the full length will be very good.

you be quiet. i was a sheltered child, and this was during my jr year of college, and i went to a CHRISTIAN college in CENTRAL PA. that was our version of "emo." :o:p
i know... just pullin yr leg.

[/QUOTE]

and robby, some of ian's bands(fugazi, embrace, egg hunt) were sort of emo as were jawbreaker, but everything else you listed has nothing to do with the genre.

I heard Thorns of Life broke up already. I couldn't find anything on their myspace, but I didn't really look very hard. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

The emo wiki page I just looked at doesn't seem to be too far off. It does mention how people these days call bands like My Chemical Romance and stuff like that as emo, which I definitely wouldn't call emo. Like most music sub genres, when it hits the mainstream, it becomes distorted and misrepresented. But I kinda just scanned it, so I could be wrong.

If you were interested in listening to emo, I would presonally suggest starting off with Mineral and Sunny Day Real Estate. Maybe that's cause those were the first two emo bands I ever heard and I was hooked ever since. Check out Cap'n Jazz too! Or pretty much any band previously mentioned.

emo should be labeled in waves like ska is.

anyways, here are some i like:
indian summer
julia
moss icon
september
still life
policy of 3
swing kids
ivich
frail
cap n jazz
spirit of versailles
moonraker
portraits of past
current

Great list!

i'd add:
evergreen
texas is the reason
ordination of aaron
ethel meserve
boilermaker
shotmaker
mineral
falling forward
four hundred years
sleepytime trio
hal al shedad
hoover
bob tilton

I'm definitely going to check out some of these bands. There are a bunch I haven't heard.

I met this 15 year old kid today at work named Justin Bogart. He told me that emo was his favorite kind of music. His favorite bands were My Chemical Romance, AFI (only new, particularly December Underground and Sing the Sorrow) and A Static Lullaby. He told me I was the only person he knew who has ever heard of A Static Lullaby. I was playing some Cap'n Jazz and he asked me what I was listening to. I told him. I then made him a list of what I think are some good, real, emo bands to start off listening to. He seems so lost. Poor Justin Bogart...

Back
Top Bottom