English/British identity in the 21st Century

lainey

I posted this on Strange/unexpected Moz references thread but I wasn't sure how many of you read that thread.

On Newsnight review (The review show) with Billy Bragg.... they reviewed Jez Butterworth's play JERUSALEM. The play explores the new ideas of Englishness and what English identity in the 21st century can mean. Jez Butterworth's mentions that all they had at school was the BNP and The Smiths.

This programme was very interesting...please watch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ow_12_02_2010/

Also Ian McMillan take on Britishness at the People's History Museum in Manchester. The importance of regions
and Young, Angry and White which is about an A level student who may join the BNP.

Watch Billy Bragg telling us to embrace the Union Jack, why didn't he defend Morrissey 18 years ago.
I love Billy though and always will.

This explains the show better....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qcp6t

Be proud of your identity or don't be, it's your choice. Personally, where I come from doesn't matter a damn to me.

Exactly. I'm more concerned about my own identity to be bothered with English / British identities. Time to look forward rather than ''It just wasn't like the old days anymore....'

As Ian Brown one said ''It's not where you're from, it's where you're at:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Exactly. I'm more concerned about my own identity to be bothered with English / British identities. Time to look forward rather than ''It just wasn't like the old days anymore....'

As Ian Brown one said ''It's not where you're from, it's where you're at:cool:

Jukebox Jury

Spike Island, Widnes.
I just though it was a good review show that's all, Telly's crap these days and Billy Bragg is interesting.

Spike Island, Widnes.
I just though it was a good review show that's all, Telly's crap these days and Billy Bragg is interesting.

I was there lainey:thumb:

Apologies lainey, yes it was a good article, my comments were not directed at you (as a fellow Widnesian:bow:)

Jukebox Jury

Spike Island, Widnes.
I agree. It was actually a very illuminating discussion. I liked the part where B.Bragg said Britishness to him meant 'Antiques Roadshow'. I agreed with him that people construct their own identities, at a very personal level, not national. Britishness can be a construct used and abused by those in power, or those trying to get power. Enjoyed it, despite the presence of Kirtsy Wart and Pat 'Tit' Kane. He was a tosser back in the Hue and Cry days and he is a tosser still. Overeducated supercilious smug wanker. I don't know how Matthew D'Ancona didn't lamp him, and I thought Bragg was giving him 'cock' looks. Don't let him fool you with all that guff about The Scottish Cultural Renaissance Since Glorious Devolution; this aint no utopia up here. :mad:

Personally, where I come from doesn't matter a damn to me.
This.
Which is lucky, seeing as how I come from Glasgow. Which is a shitehole.

This.
Which is lucky, seeing as how I come from Glasgow. Which is a shitehole.

Last time I was in Glesgae was for Moz and I had a great weekend. :thumb:

Mind you, on the walk back from The Academy, myself and my mate were about to enter a pub and we were told by a kindly woman smoking outside that it wouldn't be wise to have more than one pint in the pub we were about to enter with our accents.

We didnae go in!

Back
Top Bottom