Morrissey Central "ENNIO MORRICONE" / "MORRICONE & MORRISSEY IN ROMA" (July 6, 2020)

images_hsqmlt.jpg

"Ennio Morricone, the exalted and revered Italian composer, has died aged 91 in Rome. Morricone and his orchestra played on Morrissey's album "Ringleader Of The Tormentors"."

Unknown_copy_22_klt2n6.jpg

"I was aware that Morricone had said no to U2, no to David Bowie, and no to Robbie Williams, so I was thrilled when he said Yes to me. His contributions to my 'Ringleader Of The Tormentors' album are, naturally, completely dismissed by the jargon jugglers, but they burst and thrive in my heart forever. In reflection of the happiest days imaginable, I say the temporary parting of ar'ri've'der'ci to he who gave all to the greatness of Italia."

MORRISSEY
6 July 2020

FWD.

UPDATE July 7:

Link posted by joe frady:

ENNIO MORRICONE…
….CONDUCTS MORRISSEY'S 'DEAR GOD, PLEASE HELP ME' IN ROMA

https://t.co/7JKy5EkYnW

Our thanks to Alice Gahan.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 3 sentences & a photo got chopped in the States (subsequently restored in later publications):

-- "I am photographed for Creem magazine with my head resting on Jake's exposed belly."

-- "Indulgently Jake and I test how far each of us can go before 'being dwelt in' causes cries of intolerable struggle, but our closeness transcends such visitations."

-- "'Well,' said the woman in the British Airways lounge, 'You're either very close brothers or lovers.' 'Can't brothers be lovers?' I impudently reply."

Further/source:

Regards,
FWD.

í thought it was more than the 3 lines that got snipped. My memory is of whole paragraphs that were oddly skipped {talking of the difference between Classic and Glossy Hard}. But it's been a while.

í thought it was more than the 3 lines that got snipped. My memory is of whole paragraphs that were oddly skipped {talking of the difference between Classic and Glossy Hard}. But it's been a while.

It was more than 3 sentences and it wasn't only in the states. Above is the fancy Penguin hardcover special edition that has Moz in the pool shot by Jake on the cover, below the unedited Penguin Classics paperback.

received_2711901305515876.jpeg

The whole part about their time in Dublin is also missing and when he talks about the episode with the little dog in the British Flag pub only Chrissie is mentioned while in the uncensored version he's there with Chrissie and Jake.

The Epub I shared recently is the UK unabridged 'classics' version (28 references to Jake).
I've have the US physical copy, but won't be sitting down anytime soon to compare :)
The media reporting at the time alluded to 'lots' of changes, but the sentences cited above are the ones people have noticed - if anyone's got more, it would be useful to know for the Wiki.

Earliest article with your own observation:
Comments on the Billboard article:

Regards,
FWD.

It was more than 3 sentences and it wasn't only in the states. Above is the fancy Penguin hardcover special edition that has Moz in the pool shot by Jake on the cover, below the unedited Penguin Classics paperback.

View attachment 57559

The whole part about their time in Dublin is also missing and when he talks about the episode with the little dog in the British Flag pub only Chrissie is mentioned while in the uncensored version he's there with Chrissie and Jake.

Thanks for making an old swot happy.

í think the Dublin bit was my favourite. Wonder if it was a permanent expulsion or returned in the 'Modern Classics' edition!

Thanks for making an old swot happy.

í think the Dublin bit was my favourite. Wonder if it was a permanent expulsion or returned in the 'Modern Classics' edition!

I don't own the Modern Classics version. As far as I can see, the changes I mentioned above are the same in the Putnam hardcover and the Penguin hardcover special edition.

Perhaps I should have said '3 lines snipped...' as asserted by Billboard if that'd help.
On that note, I could go listen to the 'unabridged' audio, as it's yet to be confirmed if that was chopped too.
Nah, not today.
FWD.

To go on an even broader tangent (from Morricone's death to Autobiography via ice cream) does anyone remember any specific reasons for the removal of the Jake bits besides Morrissey's vague allusion to him being pestered by the media?

I'm referring to this quote from an interview in La Repubblica specifically:

Were you ok with the parts of the book that disappeared in the American version?

«Jake (Walters) was being pestered by the press, so his bit was removed. It remains in the UK edition, though, so there wasn’t much point chopping it out of the American. But there we are».

This will shock Steve but I never read the autobio. I was just too busy. But I really loved the fiction thing he put out in 2015. LOVED IT. Laughed out loud while reading it.

This will shock Steve but I never read the autobio. I was just too busy. But I really loved the fiction thing he put out in 2015. LOVED IT. Laughed out loud while reading it.

I'll be honest, I didn't get List Of The Lost until I read it the second time.
The first time I kept waiting for an actual plot to appear - silly me.

But yeah, once I let that idea go I loved it, too. It's hilarious and in a way it's almost like a companion book to Autobiography because it explores some of the wilder ideas in more detail.

It's also one of the strangest books I've ever read.

Just had a quick check of the audiobook and David M. does indeed read the snipped version; no I became we, bathtime tea, lover brothers, black Saab adventures or Dublin Doctors. And cut from the British Flag pub too. Shame.

Some of the omissions are very neat though, such as when he's describing the hell hot house on Delresto. Jake's acerbic presence there is excised completely, and to cover for that each 'we' and 'us' in the following Arnold Stiefel house episode is changed to 'I' and 'me'. And yet a short while later, Jake does reappear, for his exit, amidst Alan bennet at the kitchen table.

í can't lay my hands on one of the pile of 'Modern Classics' í ended up buying, so can't say what's what in that.

ps ~ David M does the worst Bennett impression. Sounds more like Frank Gallagher...

Just had a quick check of the audiobook and David M. does indeed read the snipped version; no I became we, bathtime tea, lover brothers, black Saab adventures or Dublin Doctors. And cut from the British Flag pub too. Shame.

Some of the omissions are very neat though, such as when he's describing the hell hot house on Delresto. Jake's acerbic presence there is excised completely, and to cover for that each 'we' and 'us' in the following Arnold Stiefel house episode is changed to 'I' and 'me'. And yet a short while later, Jake does reappear, for his exit, amidst Alan bennet at the kitchen table.

í can't lay my hands on one of the pile of 'Modern Classics' í ended up buying, so can't say what's what in that.

ps ~ David M does the worst Bennett impression. Sounds more like Frank Gallagher...

I never realised that the Irish psychiatrist was erased along with Jake. Interesting.

I'll be honest, I didn't get List Of The Lost until I read it the second time.
The first time I kept waiting for an actual plot to appear - silly me.

But yeah, once I let that idea go I loved it, too. It's hilarious and in a way it's almost like a companion book to Autobiography because it explores some of the wilder ideas in more detail.

It's also one of the strangest books I've ever read.

I think it's brilliant - I like surrealism though, so I've read even weirder novels.

I never realised that the Irish psychiatrist was erased along with Jake. Interesting.

Maybe removing the Jake stuff was a cover for removing the psychiatrist stuff? He might have had a wobble about the world knowing his mental health issues were ongoing.

I'm wondering if he does have a diagnosis even though he implies he doesn't.

Maybe removing the Jake stuff was a cover for removing the psychiatrist stuff? He might have had a wobble about the world knowing his mental health issues were ongoing.

I'm wondering if he does have a diagnosis even though he implies he doesn't.
No, he's always been straightforward about his struggles with depression, he actually took some pride in being so open about it.

In more recent years (like, the last decade or so) he usually says he doesn't take any medication because it doesn't help, but the bit in Autobiography was from the 90s, there's no point in trying to cover that up.
It just happens to be in the same sections as the Jake stuff.

No, he's always been straightforward about his struggles with depression, he actually took some pride in being so open about it.

In more recent years (like, the last decade or so) he usually says he doesn't take any medication because it doesn't help, but the bit in Autobiography was from the 90s, there's no point in trying to cover that up.
It just happens to be in the same sections as the Jake stuff.

I don't know, looking at it I think there's a bit of minimizing going on. It's not provable though, I'm just suspicious.

I don't know, looking at it I think there's a bit of minimizing going on. It's not provable though, I'm just suspicious.
I never said that I believe everything he said about it or that depression is the only possible diagnosis, I only said that I don't think he would have the psychiatrist removed on purpose because it's no secret that he went to see a couple of shrinks over the years, ever since he was a teenager.

í think the removal of the Anthony Clare stuff was probably a necessity once (some of) the Jake stuff was excised, as he was so knotted into the whole Dublin Shelbourne trip that it would have been easier and quicker to just lop off that whole section. Other Jake bits could be sliced off more easily, or with some blind stitching. í don't know how quickly these edits had to be done at the time.

í would love to have heard Morrissey expound further on Dr Clare. í used to love his radio work, but í can see how he could come across as pretty fearsome and unyielding. But "just a man" all the same, as Sinéad advised {another cut}.

A favourite in my Stamp collection is this Dublin encounter with Dr Clare from around '93 {mis-labelled here as '88}. He doesn't seem to 'get' Terence very well..?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom