Episode 214: "Turned Out A Punk" - Billy Duffy (Morrissey mentions, 17 June, 2019)

Podcast description:

"Well, somethings in life are worth waiting for & this here is one of those things!
BILLY DUFFY IS ON THE SHOW THIS WEEK!
Listen in as the two start from the beginning & we learn just how this legendary guitarist found his way through punk to the metal explosion of the 80’s.
YOU CANT MISS THIS ONE!!!
CATCH BILLY ON TOUR WITH THE CULT THIS SUMMER!
Check listings.

Also Touched On:

Coming of age in the summer of a punk
Billy & Johnny: Best haircuts in town
The better guitarists in the neighbourhood
Football or Rock and Roll as the only ways out
Free & Thin Lizzy
Slaughter And The Dogs: Bowie freaks go punk
How amazing the Buzzcocks were
Seeing the Pistols for the first time at the 2nd Manchester gig
Five school friends enter & three leave
“All the heads were there”
Guitar heroes
Raw Power was a massive band in Wigan
Filling Vini Reilly’s shoes
Bringing along Morrissey
Opening for The Magazines
Throwing out candy to the crowd
The Nosebleeds
“The only reason they kept me around was because I was good at table tennis”
“She actually sang on a Johnny Thunder’s record?!?” The Lonesome No More
Getting into gretch guitars
rockabilly arrives
nothing would have happened without punk
& MUCH, MUCH MORE!!!!!!"

https://player.fm/series/turned-out...illy-duffy-the-cult-death-cult-the-nosebleeds
Or
https://audioboom.com/posts/7290432-episode-214-billy-duffy-the-cult-death-cult-the-nosebleeds

MP3 of the show (runs for 1hr 15):

https://www.sendspace.com/file/d3p3au

Regards,
FWD.

Thanks for lettin' me know about these shows FWD.
After listenin' to that Johnny one, I went back and listened to a bunch of'em.
One guy that I was surprised about was Craig Ferguson, cause I never knew the guy was into punk so much.
Craig also had Don Rickles on his show numerous times, so ya know the guy had his priorities straight in many ways.
His Don appearances weren't on the level of Dave and Johnny's, but it was still great anyways.

This was great, thanks for posting! I wonder if he really didn't remember the songs he wrote with Morrissey or if he was being polite.

Thanks for lettin' me know about these shows FWD.
After listenin' to that Johnny one, I went back and listened to a bunch of'em.
One guy that I was surprised about was Craig Ferguson, cause I never knew the guy was into punk so much.
Craig also had Don Rickles on his show numerous times, so ya know the guy had his priorities straight in many ways.
His Don appearances weren't on the level of Dave and Johnny's, but it was still great anyways.

Oh I love Don Rickles! I went to see him about 15 years ago in Las Vegas, he was probably in his 80s but still sharp as a tack!

Craig Ferguson was in a band with Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who) right? The talent in that band - but not for music apparently. :)

Anyway, that guy who does these podcasts is really knowledgeable and does his research, much respect for that!

On the subject of Billy's composing, there's too many great tunes. The Death Cult EP was just magnificent, the Love album, hugely undervalued, as was Dreamtime. Alain Whyte was and still is a huge fan of Love-era Cult, and has said he'd like to cover "Hollow Man". For me, though, this is the high-water-mark...

Oh I love Don Rickles! I went to see him about 15 years ago in Las Vegas, he was probably in his 80s but still sharp as a tack!

Craig Ferguson was in a band with Peter Capaldi (Doctor Who) right? The talent in that band - but not for music apparently. :)

Anyway, that guy who does these podcasts is really knowledgeable and does his research, much respect for that!

Must of been a heck of a experience to see Don live in his element in Vegas.
Only ever saw his live performances on DVD.
My favorite Don stuff is when he would be a guest on Dave or Johnny, since they both knew how to set him up so well.
Can't remember about Craig and Dr. Who, but I think Craig got into doin' comedy during breaks of his bands shows.
This is a great performance of Don at the Martin Scorsese honors.

On the subject of Billy's composing, there's too many great tunes. The Death Cult EP was just magnificent, the Love album, hugely undervalued, as was Dreamtime. Alain Whyte was and still is a huge fan of Love-era Cult, and has said he'd like to cover "Hollow Man". For me, though, this is the high-water-mark...

Kinda interestin' that Billy wrote some songs with Moz and then didn't really write anymore until he met up with Ian.
He just started out writin' out of necessity and then realized he had a heck of a knack for it.

Must of been a heck of a experience to see Don live in his element in Vegas.
Only ever saw his live performances on DVD.
My favorite Don stuff is when he would be a guest on Dave or Johnny, since they both knew how to set him up so well.
Can't remember about Craig and Dr. Who, but I think Craig got into doin' comedy during breaks of his bands shows.
This is a great performance of Don at the Martin Scorsese honors.

He's hilarious! My only regret was that I wasn't sat close enough to be insulted by Don Rickles!

Oh, I dunno, wasn't he with Kirk Brandon for a while?

What are we playin' stump the Turkey or somethin'?
Ya got me there Skinny, cause I don't even know who Kirk B is.
They just kept carryin' on in that interview about how Billy was in a bunch of bands but wasn't writin' any songs.

Oh, I dunno, wasn't he with Kirk Brandon for a while?

They just kept carryin' on in that interview about how Billy was in a bunch of bands but wasn't writin' any songs.

That's the singer from Theatre of Hate. Billy described him as "crazy" - I don't think they got along. He also said all the songs were written before he joined them to play live.

In other trivia, Johnny Marr has covered "The Hop" by Theatre of Hate - a great song!

Spear of Destiny [the band with Kirk Brandon]- Mickey [wonderfull song dunno if the name is typed well

Spear of Destiny [the band with Kirk Brandon]- Mickey [wonderfull song dunno if the name is typed well

All Lil' Mickey wanted to do was have a lil' fun.
Kirk really put in some work and made a lot of music.
Hey, it's good to learn about some new music.
Thanks for the recommendations folks. :tiphat:

A love of music is the one thing we can all agree on here. I saw Thin Lizzy and this song came to mind. I like artists that paint with many different colors.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom