Far Out: "A track-by-track guide to The Smiths' 'The Queen is Dead' from Morrissey and Marr" (June 16, 2021)

smiths-queen-is-dead.png

On 16th June 1986, The Smiths would release their near faultless third album, The Queen Is Dead, which, for Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce, would confirm themselves as being the most important voices of a generation. Now, 35 years later, the album still pulses with the same power and the stories behind the songs all the more important.

The album is widely considered to be The Smiths finest work out of the four records that they made during their time together and encapsulates everything that was great about them. Morrissey’s dark lyricism was juxtaposed alongside Johnny Marr’s sunny guitars, allowing the duality of modern living to come to the fore. The record would become the perfect soundtrack to the 1980s.

A collation of comments track-by-track .
Happy 35th The Queen Is Dead.
Regards,
FWD.

(External image used).

🤒
FH Mike practicing should The Cure need a drummer for Live Aid 2022:handpointdown:

anigif_sub-buzz-16379-1523566572-9.gif

Isn't this the case with any artist who made their name when they were young?

When McCartney dies, it's The Beatles he'll be remembered for, not Wings or his solo records.

When Springsteen goes, the radio will play Born to Run, not anything he's put out in the last 20 years.

In Morrissey's case, you could actually argue that songs such as "Suedehead", "Everyday Is Like Sunday" and even 21st century offerings such as "First of the Gang to Die" come to mind when people think of his voice just as often as anything he recorded as part of The Smiths.
You could
In the UK , I would really only say the toss up would be between Smiths and Suedehead MAYBE Irish blood English Heart ,
It will never be First of the gang ( i know you were talking about era as apposed to actual songs)

The brits dont seem that impressed with the Mexian fan base. in fact i know loads who hate it he went that way , which is now tagged as a fertile market of also of interest with Noel and Liam G. - both been seen with Mexico on items to say " hey we are like you " give us your money

Its been said on here a few times. The Mexican fan base actually killed him to a degree, artistically HIs word play went down hill right at the time he actively chased that base.

A real shame.
He would never have got Jesse if it were not for that market either.

Still, I agree . Morrissey has done what many many artists only dream of , he is an icon for the ages ,not just the 80s

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom