Far-right group invoke Morrissey's name

Just around 6 am again
No life at all.

wife and kids think you’re a loon ball. Sat there in the corner of the room day and night, arguing with yourself, whilst your poor wife further detaches herself from you.

doing a T-shirt - anyone fancy one?
I might even name drop Simon Goddard in the process.
👀🙄

R SOLE,he should be locked up and his laptop removed from the premises.

dnftt.JPG

I'm wondering what they are trying to achieve by invoking Morrissey? Are they referring to his pro-right-wing party comments? Are they perhaps taunting people who stopped listening to him when he started saying racist and anti-immigration things? Is it a reference to Bengali in Platforms?

I'm wondering what they are trying to achieve by invoking Morrissey? Are they referring to his pro-right-wing party comments? Are they perhaps taunting people who stopped listening to him when he started saying racist and anti-immigration things? Is it a reference to Bengali in Platforms?

They do it to get attention.

And he has never once called for immigration to be stopped, reduced or reversed.

They do it to get attention.

And he has never once called for immigration to be stopped, reduced or reversed.

No he hasn't but he did say this, which wasn't very pleasant. "With the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because, although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears," he said. "If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

No he hasn't but he did say this, which wasn't very pleasant. "With the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because, although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England the more the British identity disappears," he said. "If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent."

It was actually fine in the context of everything else he moans about - American television programmes, clear telephone boxes, Manchester having new buildings.

It's London's most expensive street & London is a nightmare to buy in because so much property is owned by billionaires who spend about 3 weeks a year in their flats & houses. He's basically complaining about gentrification. And the NME deliberately highlighted it to get tabloid coverage where it was conflated with their agenda.

Telling it like it is.

Just around 6 am again
No life at all.

wife and kids think you’re a loon ball. Sat there in the corner of the room day and night, arguing with yourself, whilst your poor wife further detaches herself from you.

doing a T-shirt - anyone fancy one?
I might even name drop Simon Goddard in the process.
👀🙄
:rolleyes:
fam is:turban:
again lack of basic knowledge:hammer:

Considering that they can't even spell his name right, I don't think it's worth any time to consider their motivation.

Morrissey also said "the floodgates have been opened" and "floodgates" in relation to immigration is an idea with some historical precedent. (Hint: @Nerak It wasn't about gentrification.) I think it's done intentionally to provide an attention-getting quote, much the way that "subspecies" was used.

And, pleasant or not, you'd be correct in interpreting that statement as concerning itself with demographic and cultural replacism, not gentrification.

Left-leaning Morrissey fans who are still with him need to be honest. That's not tantamount to suggesting they should start clutching their pearls, giving away their Smiths records and loudly renouncing their fandom, but they should acknowledge the obvious when it's before them. After expressing the views quoted above, he doesn't need to make an explicit statement that mass migration should be reduced or reversed, because it stands to reason, it's easily inferred, self-explanatory. What else would anyone be suggesting, when speaking ill of a proliferation of foreign brogues and a disappearing "British identity"? Morrissey, at the very least, opposes twenty-first century mass migration into European nation states and the steady demographic and cultural replacement that is accompanying it*. There isn't really much wiggle room to credibly argue otherwise.

It's perfectly fine (or it should be perfectly fine) to enjoy an artist and yet disagree with (some or all of) his positions. More than being fine, it makes things interesting. People should be open to being challenged by an artist. Renouncing art which one previously enjoyed, on account of some subsequent offense caused by the artist, is intellectual cowardice. But rationalizing the artist's offending utterances so that one can go on enjoying his art with a clear conscience is intellectual disingenuity, and is somewhat timorous in its own way, perhaps even moreso.

Then again, The Manson Family Sings the Songs of Charles Manson is one of my favorite albums and I love Jud Süß, so maybe I'm not the guy to talk to about distancing oneself from offensive artists or art.

*It's worth noting that to refer to this steady demographic and cultural replacement will be received by the dominant culture as an act of utmost hostility or paranoid lunacy only if your words and tone are critical to any degree — otherwise, so long as you're rejoicing in it and stating that European cities becoming minority white is a source of our strength or something along those lines, it's quite acceptable to make even strong, explicit reference to replacism (e.g. the remarks of Joe Biden at a White House summit in February of 2015, which was ostensibly called to address "violent extremism").

Back
Top Bottom