Fellow vegetarians/vegans: Do you cook meat for others?

Mr. Tibbles

I became a vegetarian last April, and I have been refusing to cook meat for my husband and friends because I just don't want to be involved in that. Do others feel the same?

I've been a vegetarian for just about 11 years and at this juncture I refuse to even open a package containing dead animals. For anyone.

Funny, I was just talking about this moments ago somewhere else...I became veg over 3 years ago, but my kids didn't. So what was I going to do, force that change on them, make them fend for themselves (ages 12 and 8 at the time), or make meat dishes for them? I did the last one. My older daughter, however, converted for the new year, so that makes things way easier. The only meat containing stuff I've made this year has been tuna salad for my younger one.

I've been a vegetarian for so long that I don't cook anything anymore for anybody. All I ever serve at home are The Greatest Hits: hummus sandwich, cereal/soy yogurt/fruit, various salads, veggie burger type things, and nuts. That's it. Don't come over hungry.

No I do not. Although, I think I technically did a few months ago, a friend asked me to make a batch of jello pudding for her while we were pressed for time to get to a wedding we were both helping with and she had to get dressed and so I cooked it. I'm pretty sure it has gelatin in it. I wouldn't stand over a barbeque and cook a steak or anything, nor has anyone asked me to so far. I'm a newer vegetarian, everyone is respectful of it.

I can see the argument still I cling makes as being justifiable.

Similar to Still I Cling, my son has always been vegetarian but I cook chicken about once a month for my daughter - as she wants some (she just turned 9) so I'm trying to not be too hard on her. It is difficult though, in cooking meat but she is going longer without.

I give my dog meat now that I think about it. Every day I hand him a meat snack. I guess that isn't cooking, but I'm touching a dead somethingoranother. I guess I take solace in assuming it's the extra parts not gone to waste that humans wouldn't otherwise eat.

In general I wouldn't dream of cooking meat for anyone. My partner was veggie when we met and we are bringing our daughter up as a veggie - she's 5 and as strong as an ox.

My in-laws came to stay for xmas a few years back - we made them bring their own roasting tray and they cooked a chicken / turkey for themselves. They haven't been back for xmas since :D

When our cat was diagnosed with a thyroid problem a few years back, we had to put him on a plain chicken diet. For a brief period I was buying free range organic chicken breasts (it was costing me a small fortune) and a friend at work took them home to cook them and brought them back to work the next day for me. Thankfully his diet is under control now and the only meat I have in the house is dried cat food.

On a related note; Imelda May was on 'Something for the Weekend' on Sunday, she said she was a veggie, but her husband wasn't and that she cooks meat for him - if she didn't "he'd starve" :confused:

Dave

i dont/wont cook meat, ive been veggie since 1987 and my 11 yr old daughter has never eaten any meat, but my partner of 8 yrs does eat chicken & fish mostly, cooked by himself!!! i have my own meat free fridge & freezer and would love to have a separate oven, ( will buy a double oven when we need a new one), i dont buy meat products for him, if he wants it he can go shopping and get it himself!!!
visitors are told any meals will be veggie, like it or lump it !!!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone. It's interesting to read of your experiences. We do have 3 cats (one of whom is named Morrissey!), and I do give them canned food. I know cats are 100% carnivore and aren't supposed to eat carbs (although they do love their kibble). That doesn't bother me so much, but I refuse to touch meat intended for our consumption. My husband is Pakistani, and if he wants a korma or qeema or chicken tikka, he's most welcome to make it for himself!

Back
Top Bottom