Fights, tights and late nights

Unlikely One

Wondering if anyone can illuminate on what went on.
42ndSt Manc Club afterparty was ok, music was good, but only odds and ends Moz/Smiths tunes despite ad. Taxi drivers first words were........you know its a young persons place (amused). Bar was easy and bar girls very pleasant. Indeed young people were there and good to talk to, always interesting to hear how younger folk got into the Smiths/Moz. But quite a few bouncers knocking around........kinda distracting when you are trying to enjoy you just haven’t earned it yet baby. Hey ho.
Saw a few old faces knocking around and all seemed well. Popped out for a fag and was having a chat when (i am not sure how this goes down on here these days so excuse any meanderings) the guy that used to be freeyourself on solo and fronted the tribute band ambitious outsiders walked out. I know theres been issues here previously about him but thats all I know really, never read anything etc. Ive bumped into him a few times over the years, Brickhouse(RIP), Liverpool, London and had a chat in passing and he always was ok with me. My wife spent a good 20 mins reminiscing with him at the Liverpool after gig party (which was class) after the pint throwing shambles and he was a perfect gentleman..
Anyway, I saw him walk out of the door as though he was going to have a fag or something and my first thought was I might pop over and say hows it going. Just as that thought was in my mind he turned and gave a big bouncer a perfect right hook. There were 4 bouncers there at the door and they had been fine with me, chit chat etc, but the response was heavy handed and the guy ended up pretty bloodied up, broken nose I assume etc. The cops came a few mins later and off they all went.
I had about another 4 fags in a row considering to go back in, bit concerned that anyone in smiths/moz tees (which are dwindling by the day....bring back Wolverhampton entry rules) might be seen as a problem. Popped back had a beer but the good feeling had gone so buggered off.
It just seemed such a bizarre scenario I am wondering if anyone can say if there had been problems earlier or what caused this situation – I’d not seen anything although the vibe was nowhere near the quarry nights or Liverpool, for example.
Back to hotel in Portland St and looking out the window it was like Brit Cops live. Four fights in two hours, gang of lads all in black and hooded slipping here and there, folk clearly being followed and targeted. Girls staggering on their own (girls ffs look after yourselves), CCTV van pitched up once but I never saw any police.
My pals and me have been in some bizarre places afterdark over the years (always with our smiths and moz cds and in some places with tapes!)....Minsk, Chisinau, Tirana, Bucharest, Yerevan, Tblisi, Kiev, blah blah blah. We’ve had some beautiful moments, we’ve introduced people to the smiths and had seriously fantastic times, the breakup of the USSR created some unbelievably anarchic, chaotic situations, but you could stick there is a light on anywhere and it was heaven.and people might look at you a bit funny but they joined in and embraced it because to them it was representative of freedom......and any music they just wanted it loud. Hey Ho Lets Go.....thats an international language right there.

And then I am at the MEN(warehouse – appropriate for the MIM video) and then at 42ndSt(?) and then at Portland St and I am thinking they don’t have this palaver at JLS, Jessie J, Tiny Tempah, David Guetta (sorry was just sick)....urghhhhhhhh.
Anyway, the poetic question.....what kicked off, whatsthatallabout? First time in years glad to leave Mancfester.....didnt want to be stuckinf***inchickentown.
Respect(as the young kids said)

I had high hopes with that thread title

then I clicked on it and was treated to a long, meandering block of utter nonsense and shit you made ZERO case for explaining. It was like walking into the middle of a movie and expecting to know what all the fuss is about

Hehe amusing. David Lynch movie it seemed. 42nd St though not Mulholland Drive.

Any updates? Anyone any ideas what kicked off or why?

I had high hopes with that thread title

then I clicked on it and was treated to a long, meandering block of utter nonsense and shit you made ZERO case for explaining. It was like walking into the middle of a movie and expecting to know what all the fuss is about

Why did you post that eh? What's the point?

Unlikely One, sounds like a weird but wonderful night. So the Smiths tribute band singer got into a fight with a bouncer? He must have been bitter about something. Is he still in the band?

Why did you post that eh? What's the point?

Unlikely One, sounds like a weird but wonderful night. So the Smiths tribute band singer got into a fight with a bouncer? He must have been bitter about something. Is he still in the band?

I really dont know tbh - I dont know him per se. Was just such a weird scene and as lots of soloers end up at after partys and he is a well known face I thought someone would know more (its not like we are all teenagers!).

Back
Top Bottom