First look at 'Shoplifters of the World' film - Variety

46127_shoplifters_first_look.jpg

Oops

First Look at The Smiths-Infused Comedy-Drama ‘Shoplifters of the World’ (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

London-based sales agent WestEnd Films has released the first-look image for The Smiths-infused comedy-drama “Shoplifters of the World,” which Variety is publishing exclusively. WestEnd is screening footage to buyers at Berlin’s European Film Market.

Based on an urban legend, the film is set over the course of one night in the lives of four friends in Denver, who are reeling from the news of the split up of iconic British band The Smiths. The local radio station is hijacked by an impassioned Smiths fan with a gun, who makes the DJ play nothing but Smiths tracks for the entire night.

The still shows Ellar Coltrane (“Boyhood”), who plays the hijacker. Joe Manganiello (“Magic Mike,” “True Blood”) plays the DJ. The cast also includes Helena Howard, Elena Kampouris, Nick Krause, and James Bloor. The film, written and directed by Stephen Kijak (“Scott Walker – 30 Century Man”), will feature 20 tracks by The Smiths.

The movie is produced by Untitled Entertainment’s Laura Rister, 3:59’s Joe and Nick Manganiello, Piccadilly Pictures’ Christopher Figg. Also producing are Phil Hoelting, Adam Schoon and Lorianne Hall. Robert Whitehouse and Dawn Bierschwal, from Piccadilly Pictures, are exec producing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems a long time in the making.

Morrissey’s only comment on it (via Sopitas interview, March, 2017):
"S: This year we will see the debut of the movie Shoplifters of the World , and the actor Joe Manganiello asked for your permission to participate in it. How was the approach? Have you seen any breakthroughs? Do you expect anything special about the movie?

M: I do not know anything about it, but I'd be interested to see it."

Joe Manganiello (cited via Pitchfork, May 2016):
"It's written by this writer/director named Stephen Kijak. He had a previous relationship with Morrissey, and Morrissey agreed to give us the catalogue for a nice, affordable fee. Well, it's not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination, but we have Morrissey's blessing to move forward with a the Smiths project. I'm a huge the Smiths fan. It’s just really great to be afforded the opportunity to go out and tell stories that I’m really excited and passionate about, like that one."

Related:
https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...punk-rock-group-the-smiths-showbiz411.137355/

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...-the-world-unite-by-stephen-kijak-thr.138141/

https://www.spotlightnews.com/towns...to-film-shoplifters-of-the-world-w-slideshow/

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...as-needed-upstate-ny-mid-nov.143048/#comments

Plot synopsis:
“Denver, summer 1987. A group of quirky and confused teenagers are about to have their lives changed forever over the course of one night when the news hits them that their heroes, iconic British band The Smiths, are splitting.
Young and feisty Cleo doesn’t know what to do with her life and dreams of running away to Paris. Ryan, who works in the local record store, has a huge crush on her but doesn’t know how to tell her.
As Cleo and her friends start a night of hard partying to mourn their musical loss, Ryan is driven to a more daring and dangerous form of tribute: he decides to hold up the local radio station at gunpoint and make the DJ play nothing but Smiths tracks for the entire night. And with the radio at full blast, the group of friends will go on a journey of self-discovery that will transform them forever.
Inspired by true events, Shoplifters of the World is a spirited and moving comedy, that celebrates youth and the power of music to change people’s lives, showcasing the iconic sound and style of England’s greatest 80s band: The Smiths.”

Regards,
FWD.

"England is Mine" was a huge disappointment so I'm not holding out for this to be anything great, but it's interesting that Moz appears to back it. Perhaps it might get he and Johnny talking, if nothing else.

"England is Mine" was a huge disappointment so I'm not holding out for this to be anything great, but it's interesting that Moz appears to back it. Perhaps it might get he and Johnny talking, if nothing else.

At least it means they both agreed on something!

At least it means they both agreed on something!

I wonder - can Moz approve them to use the music without JM? Surely he'd have to agree it too?

I wonder - can Moz approve them to use the music without JM? Surely he'd have to agree it too?

Johnny must have agreed, he's still the composer, along with Morrissey of the Smiths catalogue, another issue is do they benefit, do they still get royalties [thought it was sold for the US allready]

Anyway hope it makes the way tothe cinema's

Will be interesting to see which songs are included and whether there will be a soundtrack release.

The star looks like a young Gary Newman, can also pet shop boys album amongst all the smiths goodies can’t wait for this to shatter all box office records, I’ll be first in the line

I hope this is good. However I can’t see how this anecdote could feasibly be stretched over 90 minutes. Are they going to invent sub plots to keep things going?

I hope this is good. However I can’t see how this anecdote could feasibly be stretched over 90 minutes. Are they going to invent sub plots to keep things going?
theres four of them so it will probably have each of their back stories to stretch it out to its running time and there will be a love interest,there always is.

There’s some interesting things in that picture alone. I can see a poster for The Jams sound affects album, Melody Maker with Michael Stipe on the cover and news that The Smiths have split, a poster for New Orders Movement album above his head behind the photos, looks like they have replicated the era well at least.

I haven't bothered to watch England Is Mine. Will do whenever I stumble upon it on free TV some winters night.

This taking histoage story that has been related since the late 1980s and early 1990s but we need to see a police report from 1987 or a scan of an article published in the local paper of that town in 1987 to proove that such a thing really happened.

I noticed the circle around the "Ask" advertsisement, but if you were circling The Smiths items you also missed the various cassettes and t-shirt. ;)
I think this will be worth the watch. At the very least for The Smiths compilation soundtrack.

F438D54F-12C7-4E9C-B962-C03F13B1F318.jpeg
I noticed the circle around the "Ask" advertsisement, but if you were circling The Smiths items you also missed the various cassettes and t-shirt. ;)
I think this will be worth the watch. At the very least for The Smiths compilation soundtrack.
I drew it to highlight that that is not the cover for “Ask” which featured Yootha Joyce on it, it is the cover of “Shelia”

Tags
shoplifters movie

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom