First time with Morrissey

He brought her back for 7 years after she said he gave good head in front of members of his family...I don't think something like a cold is really going to make a difference.

Yeah, they probably caught a matinee of How To Train You Dragon 2 this afternoon and are enjoying a quiet stroll in Central Park hand-in-hand eating ice cream cones now.

He brought her back for 7 years after she said he gave good head in front of members of his family...I don't think something like a cold is really going to make a difference.

His family was there? Oh lord.

Yeah, they probably caught a matinee of How To Train You Dragon 2 this afternoon and are enjoying a quiet stroll in Central Park hand-in-hand eating ice cream cones now.

Oh, I bet they are. I hear Morrissey gives good cone and is partial to banana splits. After they're done, he and Kristeen like to spoon-feed each other the leftover syrup.

November last year. I was going through a phase where I was obsessed with folk music from the 60s and 70s. I was very interested in Tim Buckley's work which eventually lead me to Jeff Buckley who did a cover of 'I Know It's Over' which I fell in love with. Someone on YouTube mentioned that it was a Smiths' song so I had a listen and almost cried at the lyrical and musical magnificence.

I really fell in love when I heard the opening line of 'How Soon Is Now' ("I am the sun and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar"). Soon I began listening to Smiths quite obsessively, and it was the first time I gaffawed at the words of a lyricist because they described situations/feelings that were VERY close to home - and frighteningly so!

If I had discovered Morrissey/the Smiths during my early teens, the years to follow would have been much easier to cope with.

My wife made this same comment just a few minutes ago when in the midst of almost finishing his Autobiography. I got her into the Smiths/Moz when we started dating almost a decade ago. Turns out she knew the song “Asleep” but didn’t know it was the Smiths until much later. Now he’s her favorite artist of all time. :)

it was in 1987, I was 14 and my friend lent me two or three homemade tapes of the first three albums, and an actual cassette tape of strangeways with the lyrics inside. (she made fun of me for listening to it while reading the lyrics which I thought was strange because it seemed like a perfectly normal thing to do?)

random things :

I remember sitting at school by my locker reading the words and thinking how amazing and funny they were. my friends were vegetarians and they would sing meat is murder when we would eat hamburgers at lunchtime.

my older brother told me that the guitar player was called johnny marr and said he was the best guitar player. viva hate came out in march of 1988 just before my birthday. I woke up on my birthday morning and on my desk there was a cassette tape of viva hate, a gift from my brother.

I was seeing this school counselor type lady once a week and she asked me to bring in a tape of the kind of music I listened to so I brought her the smiths and morrissey and some other stuff but when "asleep" came on she was like 'oh my god' and I think after that they gave me medication. haha.

and that was the beginning of my 27 year obsession

my scrapbook 1988ish ~

MORRISSEY1.jpg

These stories are wonderful and thanks. I get it, in a big way what is being said.

Now the first time I heard Morrissey. When viva hate came out, I went to the record store and bought all the albums and cassettes because I did not want anyone else in my town to have it (I know that is pointless). But he was mine and I was not sharing. For Pete's sake I was 17. Viva hate was awesome. I sang that whole album with my Walkman on non stop for about six months. Morrissey and smiths songs beg to be sung along with out loud. I have made a fool of myself quit a few times without realizing I am being watched. Oh well.

October/November 1983, Janice Long played This Charming Man. I recorded it onto cassette tape, listened to it many times before I was able to get to the shop and buy it. The 7" was 1.29gbp or thereabouts the 12" 1.89gbp. I had about 2.00gbp and needed to buy chips for lunch and get home again on the bus. I didn't fancy walking so I bought the 7" and regretted it for many years as the 12" ended up being hard to get hold of, it took me 6 or 7 years and cost me 30gbp.

It's still my favourite song.

Spring of 1988 - driving around in my boyfriends convertible and listening to Louder Than Bombs. He told me about Morrissey and Johnny Marr...and that he was pretty sure that Morrissey was gay.
When I got home that evening, my brother was listening to The Queen is Dead. Someone had just given him the cassette.

For me it was the Jononthan Ross show, 2004. I knew of the Smiths but I couldn't really name any of their songs and I didn't know anything about Morrissey. He sang IBEH, which I quite liked but it was the interview that really triggered something in me. I found him fascinating and I couldn't get him out of my head. So I bought YATQ and completely fell in love with it. It was so different from anything I was listening to at the time. I loved his voice and that I could hear and understand every lyric, which I still think is quite unique. And of course he was saying everything to me about my life. I then spent the rest of that year and my student loan buying Morrissey and the Smiths back catalogue. The best year of my life.

It was around the summer of 1986 when I first heard "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" being played on the German radio. This is the first song I vividly remember of the Smiths. It had a direct impact on me, because it was very different from everything in music I had heard before. I liked it a lot and I more or less directly purchased my vinyl copy of The Queen Is Dead. The second buy was the 7" of Panic.

1983. Lying on my bed. John Peel plays Hand in Glove.

It sounded like nothing before yet strangely familiar. I was transported. It was as if they were playing my thoughts and feelings. It felt like they were mine and I was theirs. I remember the hairs on my neck and arms standing up. I raved on about it to friends the next day to little if any response. It didn't matter; I somehow knew something special had happened and hoped the band of my life had arrived. They had.

1983. Lying on my bed. John Peel plays Hand in Glove.

It sounded like nothing before yet strangely familiar. I was transported. It was as if they were playing my thoughts and feelings. It felt like they were mine and I was theirs. I remember the hairs on my neck and arms standing up. I raved on about it to friends the next day to little if any response. It didn't matter; I somehow knew something special had happened and hoped the band of my life had arrived. They had.

wonderfully written, like some book excerpt from the eighties, time when people knew how to use words...

having reading this made me feel nostalgic.

p.s. apologies for youngers

When I was 12 years old on Sunday June 13 or 20 2010 cant remember which day it was Me and my family were on our way to The Country Fair in Medford NY http://www.countryfairpark.com/ to celebrate my cousins birthday and do miniature golf and ride on go-carts my dad put in and played The Smiths The Smiths cassette in our 2004 KIA Sedona EX on the way to Country Fair park and I heard Reel Around the Fountain and I really liked Morrisseys voice and I drove the go-cart by myself for the very first time and while I was driving the go cart reel around the fountain was stuck on my head and I drove the go cart really well and since then Ive been hooked!

Last edited:
It’s so interesting reading these and seeing how almost no one can really say they’re a “casual” fan of Moz/Smiths. Once you’re in, you’re IN. Even now, it’s rare I’ll just listen to one Moz/Smiths album. Usually it will be a bunch in a row. For the past near month it’s been 95% of what I’ve listened to. Sadly my mom passed away in May and for some reason his music has provided me with such comfort that I can never thank him enough.

I was in 7th grade, probably early 1985 or so. A kid in my class wore a William It Was Really Nothing t-shirt to school. That's the first time I heard the name The Smiths and so I learned a little about them from him. Shortly after that I either heard How Soon is Now? on KROQ or I saw the video on MTV. I remember the first time I heard it, I didn't quite get it at that young age. The guitar effect just seemed weird or jarring to me I guess. But then I heard it again shortly after, maybe a month later but I can't remember exactly how long after. And I liked it a lot the second time I heard it. Not much after that, I saw the Meat is Murder LP at the record store. The tacky badge saying that it included How Soon is Now? probably convinced me to buy it fortunately. I bought the album and listened to it so much. Before long, I also bought The Smiths and Hatful of Hollow (at Licorice Pizza for those that remember that store). I've bought everything since and been to around 28 shows (unfortunately no Smiths shows although my only friend who liked them at the time talked about going to the show in 1986 but we were 14 and it just didn't happen for us. I had no clue that'd be my last chance to get to see them and they'd still be my favorite band all these years later).

Back
Top Bottom