Hello

Gurl-Afraid

Hi guys :) I'm really glad to be part of this community.
My name is Léa or Leah, whatever ! I'm French. I'm 25 and I'm an English Teacher in France.

I'm going to try to answer to the questions I could copy somewhere:

Are you a Stereotyped Morrissey fans ?

Does that really exist ? What is it then ? I want to know, 'cause as far as I'm concerned I dunno if I'm one ! haha

The moment you fell under his spell ?

I listened to the Smiths and I discovered what he looked like, how he danced... I was kinda hypnotised ! Then I watched 80s interviews and I thought he was fascinating.

How did you become a Morrissey / Smiths fan ?

How ? Naturally. Weird question haha. I'm a Britpop fan since I'm a teenager. The Smiths are just the basis of all this and Moz the continuity.

Is your other-half a Smiths / Morrissey fan?

Don't have another half... I'm half a person myself ;)

How and when have you discovered Smiths / Moz music?

I've discovered the Smiths, I was a bit old. I've lived a whole year in England and spent a lot of time in Manchester, that was in 2013, I was 21. I felt like I had failed somewhere not having known them before. Since then, I've caught up :)

what do you really love about the man?

Everything. I mean he is a complex personality and an interesting one. Moreover, I love him for more personal reasons, in the sense that I can identify with him - as we all do here, to a certain degree. Well, I pretty identify with 25 years old Moz than with 59 yo Mozzer, he is now too adult, more at ease, less socially awkward (hopefully for him haha!!)

What your friends and family make of your adoration of Morrissey?

I don't speak about it all the time. I live in a country where, if people are not like really fond of music, especially of Brit music, no one would know who Morrissey is. Most of people in France know the name of the band the Smiths but don't actually know one single song, which is quite sad I think.
Some of my friends listen to them, but no one really knows Morrissey as a solo artist. Plus, as I'm annoying regarding music in general, I can be annoying talking about Moz all the time, people would say "she talks about music AGAIN", instead of "Morrissey AGAIN !!" or "Can't bear the Smiths anymore !!"

Well, that's me, a random Moz fan (or maybe a stereotyped one haha) !

Thank you both for your warm welcoming :)

I got the questions from there: https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/welcome-to-morrissey-solo.113211/
and I thought it would be nice and funny to answer them in one go.

How do I manage to identify ? Well, maybe the word "identify" is a bit strong. It's quite difficult to explain. I first got really interested in him as being part of the Smiths and then in his early career (from Viva Hate to Your Arsenal). Maybe because musically it was more my jam. And textually, I can refer to what he says (especially in the Smiths). He tackles subjects that touch me personally. The lyrics were probably more "adultescent" than they are today. I don't know if it makes sense, because I'm not even sure it does really for me hahaha. Maybe I'm wrong, it's mainly a question of feeling to be fair, that's why it is so difficult for me to explain ;) But thanks for asking the question, it makes think a bit on the subject :)

One thing is sure - he is a complete artist in the sense that he could evolve and grow up with his music and lyrics for all those years, that surely why I'm more touched by 25/30 year old Moz (at least today, as a young adult).

Abandon all hope all ye who enter here

i see what you mean with regard to the "identification" thing. thanks for taking time to get into that. also like the word "adultescent", didnt know it before. thats one of the reasons why i'm here, posting, it is the only interesting way of practicing english for me at the moment, and you can pick up all sorts of strange words in this forum. which is also true for morrisseys lyrics, i have to say.
have you been to any of his concerts? i'm more the concert going sort of fan, for me thats probably the only "authentic" way of relating to music, as it is also physical. now that the european gigs were all cancelled, i am really pissed, i must say, especially because i found the explanation from the management very impersonal and insipid. but i guess thats what the music business is about after all.

More than an English word, "adultescent" is a philosophical concept from the late 60s if I remember well.
I do agree, it's a good way to practice English being on forums and stuff. Where are you from ?
Unfortunately I have not have the occasion to see Moz so far... Have you ? As you said, the European tour of this year was cancelled plus, there was no date planned in France anyway :'(
I like concerts and gigs as well, it is more real. There is no production or modification whatsoever, like when a disc is made. It's live performance with its hazards - which is much more interesting and true :)

i see what you mean with regard to the "identification" thing. thanks for taking time to get into that. also like the word "adultescent", didnt know it before. thats one of the reasons why i'm here, posting, it is the only interesting way of practicing english for me at the moment, and you can pick up all sorts of strange words in this forum. which is also true for morrisseys lyrics, i have to say.
have you been to any of his concerts? i'm more the concert going sort of fan, for me thats probably the only "authentic" way of relating to music, as it is also physical. now that the european gigs were all cancelled, i am really pissed, i must say, especially because i found the explanation from the management very impersonal and insipid. but i guess thats what the music business is about after all.
hi,leah,im glad somebody is actually using their real name on here,dont see the point of these made up names.i thought you were german for some reason.good luck with the football on sunday night.was it you that posted about quando being unwell,is there any update on him,tell him I send him my best wishes.

so there is even a philosophy behind the word adultescent and it is reaching back to the 60s? who would have thought that? anyways, thanks for that, i'm goin to use it from now on. yeah, looks like the european tour had been planned as a miniature one. only one concert in germany, berlin, thats where i wanted to go to. when was the last time that he toured in france? i can only remember this awkward tv performance from last year when he had to sing in a kitchen of sorts. maybe you recognize the other characters from french tv:

the best concert i ever went to was an open-air patti smith gig nearby, i mean, she really kicks the shit out of her audience, i was high for about two weeks afterwards. during the concert i had been able to move forward to the second row and when she later came down to shake some hands, she was just a few feet away from me. she wouldnt shake my hand but looked at me with probing eyes and said something like, if i remember correctly, now there is some mental strength or so, her face expressing irritation. not 100% sure and then, why would she say such a thing? whatever, these things do not happen when listening to music at home...

The last time he came was in October 2014, it's been a while now ;)
Oh I know this TV show yes. It's the kind of boring middle-of-the-afternoon show watched by housewives haha. It definitely looks very cheap !
Wooow Patti Smith, that's a thing. Also, what you describe here is really impressive.

hi,leah,im glad somebody is actually using their real name on here,dont see the point of these made up names.i thought you were german for some reason.good luck with the football on sunday night.was it you that posted about quando being unwell,is there any update on him,tell him I send him my best wishes.

Did you think I was German because of my English ? Well, I'm glad because German people have a good people have a good reputation whereas French "speak English like Spanish cows" (French expression).
Thanks for the football team and for the rest of my mates who support them. Well, I'm not a football person, I don't understand the passion, the enthusiasm for it. Please don't slap me !!! haha.
I wasn't the one who posted about Quando. Hope he's going to recover fast.

Back
Top Bottom