How come not many teens listen to the Smiths/Morrissey?

A lot of teenagers do like Morrissey and The Smiths when/if they listen to a few of their songs. Its just not many people have actually done exactly that - listened.

Echoing a few points made earlier, it is oh so true that media saturation has resulted in a depressing gawging upon relative crap by this generation. But lets not romanticise the past too much, many great artists have failed to be given credit whereas a lot of garbage has thrived. It's the way of the world I spose.

I'm 18 incidentley and I find that if I recomend Moz or The Smiths to someone and lend them an album, they have always asked for another and another and another.

I'm 22, started listening to Moz when I was 17, so obviously theres a few of us around from what ive seen at live shows too:thumb:

I'm 16 and a huge Smiths/Morrissey fan.

:thumb:
Btw, a belated welcome. I noticed you've been here a couple months, but I like to welcome new users to the forums (despite Kewpie's bizarre disapproval of hospitality). Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask a question :)

you could equally ask, how come not many 20 somethings like Smiths/Moz, how come not many 30 somethings/40 somethings etc.

in the overall scheme of things, not many people listen to Moz/Smiths, full stop. there's no evidence to suggest he's disproportionately popular/unpopular with any particular demographic. having said that, there's probably a slightly higher number of 40 somethings but that's because they were teens/early 20's during the Smiths heyday, not because they have a greater propensity to listen to that kind of music.

Moz albums sell an average of about 100,000 each in the UK. there are tens of thousands of towns so in any average town there will only be a handful of people that like his music. simple as that!

:thumb:
Btw, a belated welcome. I noticed you've been here a couple months, but I like to welcome new users to the forums (despite Kewpie's bizarre disapproval of hospitality). Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask a question :)

Why, thank you :)

I'm 21 and I've been at least a demi-fan since I was 18 or so. ^^

The Smiths/Morrissey appeal only to a certain type of person. And as it gets older, it's harder to get exposed to them early if they haven't been exposed to them before. So it takes an interest in music history, a parent, friends or the internet to get them out there. But as shown by the last.fm stats, there are a great amount of fans around my age group.
It is awesome how they're able to keep such an amount of avid fans throughout their lives -- it's not just a young adult fad.

I'm 19, been a fan since 14. I've seen him live four times and I have every album, b-side, rarity. I'm dedicated. I know a fair amount of people who "appreciate" the Smiths/Morrissey as influential artists in the indie canon, but nobody my age who loves him as much as I do.

A lot of teenagers do like Morrissey and The Smiths when/if they listen to a few of their songs. Its just not many people have actually done exactly that - listened.

Echoing a few points made earlier, it is oh so true that media saturation has resulted in a depressing gawging upon relative crap by this generation. But lets not romanticise the past too much, many great artists have failed to be given credit whereas a lot of garbage has thrived. It's the way of the world I spose.

I'm 18 incidentley and I find that if I recomend Moz or The Smiths to someone and lend them an album, they have always asked for another and another and another.

Great avatar, TUGAY TUGAY!!! great to have another Blackburn Rovers Fan on the boards, i only know of one other on here, although there are a few dingles on here

I'm 19, been a fan since 14. I've seen him live four times and I have every album, b-side, rarity. I'm dedicated. I know a fair amount of people who "appreciate" the Smiths/Morrissey as influential artists in the indie canon, but nobody my age who loves him as much as I do.

the little ginger kid does:thumb:

Im 20 now, been a fan since i was about 16, and i agree with other posters that Morrissey/The Smiths appeal to a certain type of person, probably people who were looking for something different musically or for somebody to "guide" them through troubled times and so on

Back
Top Bottom