How would The Smiths do if they started today?

Silent Reader

On Timeout
On Timeout
Impossible to really say of course,but I think the ultra woke snowflakes who despise Morrissey today because that's what they're told to 'think' would lap up Morrissey circa 1983. He was quite ahead of his time with some views that are ultra woke today. Being a vegetarian for a start.

I reckon they'd do well.

Ed Sheerhorror would knock them out the game. That’s where we are now 🧑‍🦽👨‍🦽

He would be one of them & he would never write a song because he'd be too busy making YouTube videos about his hair.

music has changed forever,these days apart from M i would say there is nothing that touches me the way it used to,does anyone still follow the charts.

music has changed forever,these days apart from M i would say there is nothing that touches me the way it used to,does anyone still follow the charts.
Not the so-called single charts I don't; the album charts are sometimes worth a look-they tend to reflect better taste generally.

Impossible to really say of course,but I think the ultra woke snowflakes who despise Morrissey today because that's what they're told to 'think' would lap up Morrissey circa 1983. He was quite ahead of his time with some views that are ultra woke today. Being a vegetarian for a start.

I reckon they'd do well.
I'm not so sure. Looking at their early work I can easily see them getting 'cancelled' over lyrics seen to be misogynistic ('Pretty Girls Make Graves') or paedophilic ('The Hand That Rocks the Cradle').

The Smiths veterans would easily fill the large Football/Soccer Stadiums in GB and large halls in Europe. But as we all know very well, a Smiths reunion will never happen. Thank god!

I'm not so sure. Looking at their early work I can easily see them getting 'cancelled' over lyrics seen to be misogynistic ('Pretty Girls Make Graves') or paedophilic ('The Hand That Rocks the Cradle').
A very good point. And Reel around the fountain. It doesn’t make much for the snowflakes to squeal these days.

They make the types who liked the Smiths in the 80s look like the BNP, they’re so wet.

The Smiths veterans would easily fill the large Football/Soccer Stadiums in GB and large halls in Europe. But as we all know very well, a Smiths reunion will never happen. Thank god!
Too right-I’d never want to see Morrissey up on stage with that self-righteous twat Marr ever again.👍

Then that might mean that those people (who might make those assumptions) haven't read, or understood, the lyrics then, wouldn't it?
Those types might just go by what twitter tells them to think, and go with the 'herd'. Seems to be the way things are these days.

Then that might mean that those people (who might make those assumptions) haven't read, or understood, the lyrics then, wouldn't it?
Those types might just go by what twitter tells them to think, and go with the 'herd'. Seems to be the way things are these days.
I'd ask this of @Silent Witless but he seems incapable of rational thought so I'll ask you: who has condemned those lyrics for those reasons, please?

If I could give that post 3 thumbs up, I would. Either Twitter or that beacon of ‘liberality’, The Guardian.

It’s just woke virtue signalling bandwagon jumping.

@Mozmar - don’t give him any oxygen, he feeds on it. Just ignore him & he might go away. That’s what I’m doing.

Anyone who doesn’t know the history of those songs obviously doesn’t know The Smiths.

Last edited:
@Mozmar - don’t give him any oxygen, he feeds on it. Just ignore him & he might go away. That’s what I’m doing.

Anyone who descent know the history of those songs obviously doesn’t know The Smiths.
You answer the question then. It's a very simple question. If you can't answer it, and I suspect you can't then all you are doing is offering straw men arguments in support of your ongoing mission to troll people on here.

If I could give that post 3 thumbs up, I would. Either Twitter or that beacon of ‘liberality’, The Guardian.

It’s just woke virtue signalling bandwagon jumping.
My word, are you really that desperate to be liked that you have to suck up to people in such a pusillanimous fashion? I'm almost embarrassed for you.

I'd ask this of @Silent Witless but he seems incapable of rational thought so I'll ask you: who has condemned those lyrics for those reasons, please?
In the context of the original post, there's an anon post suggesting (not condemning) that The Smiths might get 'cancelled' these days as they might be 'seen' to be making 'misogynistic' references in 'Pretty Girls Make Graves', & 'paedophilic' in 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'.

You answer the question then. It's a very simple question. If you can't answer it, and I suspect you can't then all you are doing is offering straw men arguments in support of your ongoing mission to troll people on here.
I’ll make one exception to my rule of ignoring you (so don’t give it all the ha,ha I told you you wouldn’t last, I can change my mind if I like) to say I’m not going to answer because I’m not getting into anything with you, it’s not worth it, you’re not capable of debate. And I’m trolling no-one, if you think that’s my intention, you’re way off the mark. I like chatting with most people on here & I’m not trying to troll them. If people don’t like my views, fine, but that’s not trolling-unless you’re one of these ‘it’s my viewpoint or no viewpoint’ kind of people.

Ask people on here if I’m trolling them-apart from your little clique (you,Verso,Surface) I suspect the answer would be no. You’re the troll, taking time to post videos of tumbleweed on a thread of mine because no-one had answered!!

In the context of the original post, there's an anon post suggesting (not condemning) that The Smiths might get 'cancelled' these days as they might be 'seen' to be making 'misogynistic' references in 'Pretty Girls Make Graves', & 'paedophilic' in 'The Hand That Rocks the Cradle'.
But let's not forget that during the 1980s, most of the criticism and controversy surrounding The Smiths came from the right-wing press and the occasional Tory MP (viz The Queen is Dead.)

I’ll make one exception to my rule of ignoring you (so don’t give it all the ha,ha I told you you wouldn’t last, I can change my mind if I like) to say I’m not going to answer because I’m not getting into anything with you, it’s not worth it, you’re not capable of debate. And I’m trolling no-one, if you think that’s my intention, you’re way off the mark. I like chatting with most people on here & I’m not trying to troll them. If people don’t like my views, fine, but that’s not trolling-unless you’re one of these ‘it’s my viewpoint or no viewpoint’ kind of people.

Ask people on here if I’m trolling them-apart from your little clique (you,Verso,Surface) I suspect the answer would be no. You’re the troll, taking time to post videos of tumbleweed on a thread of mine because no-one had answered!!
You are the one incapable of debate. Since you arrived here you have waged a systematic campaign of abuse against people who hold different views to you. I am genuinely surprised that the mods have allowed you to continue to start endless flame wars for no other reason that some people on here challenge your right-wing views. So your getting all butt-hurt and proclaiming that you are just an innocent victim on here is laughable.
You are incapable of commenting on any subject without getting in a troll or two about 'lefties,' 'snowflakes,' 'the woke,' 'remoaners,' etc etc. You have deliberately cultivated a persona of boorish confrontation which, when challenged on, you cravenly deny and pretend to take offence at.
And you failed to answer to the simple question I asked of you. Which I think further proves my point that you are the one incapable of debate and capable only of persistent abuse and sucking up to people you think might tolerate you.
And I'll bet you downvote this comment because you are incapable of answering it.

But let's not forget that during the 1980s, most of the criticism and controversy surrounding The Smiths came from the right-wing press and the occasional Tory MP (viz The Queen is Dead.)
Well to be frank, I don't give a monkey's about any of that.

Both those songs are beautiful in their own right, & the lyrics from Morrissey, on THTRTC especially, are some of his best, imho. In fact that first album is sublime, musically, and lyrically, and is one of my favourite Smiths albums.

I just didn't agree with the point being made re; what the songs might be considered to be about; they don't suggest that to me. I was suggesting that whoever might hold those interpretations to be true, might not have taken the time to read the lyrics, or try to understand their respective meaning.

Back
Top Bottom