How would The Smiths do if they started today?

I mean, after all that’s been written this morning, can you honestly look at what you’ve just posted there & not think you’re the one looking like a troll???

I might post some stuff on here people don’t like, but you’re just coming across as a total c***. I believe someone started a thread on that very issue recently.....

Almost all of your posts are abusive & confrontational. I never see you taking part in any of the other threads where people are just having normal conversations. Just banging on about Joe Biden all the f***ing time.

I think you’ve shown yourself up this morning Radis. I don’t think you want to get along with people at all do you?

I’ll await the mandatory bollocks reply.
You're still behaving like an ignorant c*** I see.
Gosh this trolling is really easy, isn't it? It takes no effort or intelligence whatsoever and achieves absolutely nothing. I can see why you find it so attractive.
And do you really want to get along with me? Bury the hatchet? Be friends? What a f***ing lame snowflake you are. Man up boy, we are just getting started!

Hey @Radis Noir can I ask you a question - how do you think The Smiths would do if they started today?
It's hard for any young band these days. I think they would attract a hardcore of fans but I don't think they would breakthrough in the way they did in the 1980s because the music industry is so different these days.

If Steve came out with his muddled, ill-informed nonsense on right-wing politics and race, the Smith wouldn't have got off the starting line these days. He did say some pretty ugly stuff (even back in the 80s) but there was no social media for it to get quickly and widely disseminated as there is now, and The Smiths were bringing out so much brilliant music, so often, that it was easy to overlook his more worrying and problematic comments.
The point being which I'm glad to see you've acknowledged is that Morrissey has always been outspoken and opinionated and fans either accept that or walk away. Too many folk claim Morrissey has changed since the days of The Smiths, I don't think he has. Those folk have stopped following him for that reason but they forget he's always had a contrarian nature about him and that says more about them than him.

It's hard for any young band these days. I think they would attract a hardcore of fans but I don't think they would breakthrough in the way they did in the 1980s because the music industry is so different these days.
Fair enough. And we aren’t just getting started because I’m not going to get kicked off here because of you. I’m back to ignoring you unless you have something decent to say. Which means I’m back to ignoring you 99.99% of the time I reckon.

Thanks for this morning though, you’ve not come across well. At all👍

With this I would agree. Perfect timing by The Smiths. It wouldn't work today.

Fair enough. And we aren’t just getting started because I’m not going to get kicked off here because of you. I’m back to ignoring you unless you have something decent to say. Which means I’m back to ignoring you 99.99% of the time I reckon.

Thanks for this morning though, you’ve not come across well. At all👍
And you came across as you normally do: as a semi-literate snowflake troll desperate for attention and approval.

Like a lot of bands-it’d be interesting to see how The Beatles would do, or Oasis. I can’t imagine the Union Jack imagery & laddish behaviour getting such good attention now.

You never know as what passes as 'music' these days is in a blender as it all sounds the same, absolutely dreadful. Real music fans are crying out for something different and if The Smiths managed to get noticed as a new band I reckon they would be successful, there's no obvious competition out there.

You never know as what passes as 'music' these days is in a blender as it all sounds the same, absolutely dreadful. Real music fans are crying out for something different and if The Smiths managed to get noticed as a new band I reckon they would be successful, there's no obvious competition out there.
I've just been watching something in another thread by Cardi B, I think...track called Wet Ass Pussy.
Guess 'wet ass pussy' is where we're at today, musically. :rolleyes:

I would hate it if you "liked" me because I am not rifke. You are a troll, which is why I talked about the character you portray but, as I said, give the devil his due.
Not to make this about me but I love being hated on here. Some of the posters can't accept or believe that but I'm probably as much of an asshole as you are and I don't have a very high opinion of some people here so it's a sort of validation if they feel the same.
Well, I’m not a troll but I’m not getting into that again. I’d love to know what constitutes a ‘troll’ on here, must be a very broad definition.

Maybe comments like ‘I love being hated on here’? I mean, to purposefully set out to be hated-that’s trolling.

Anyway, whatever, you think I’m a troll, I’m not going to change your mind, so let’s just leave it.

Well, I’m not a troll but I’m not getting into that again. I’d love to know what constitutes a ‘troll’ on here, must be a very broad definition.

Maybe comments like ‘I love being hated on here’? I mean, to purposefully set out to be hated-that’s trolling.

Anyway, whatever, you think I’m a troll, I’m not going to change your mind, so let’s just leave it.
I like the line from the book/film Saturday Night Sunday Morning: "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"

Which was also the origin for the Arctic Monkey's first album. The name was chosen after Turner recognised similarities between the two works and the appropriateness of the title. He said that "it's good because the book is called Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and that's kind of what the album is, so there's a link there. And also, there's a lot of people saying a lot of things about us and you don't have control over it."

Another true story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the line from the book/film Saturday Night Sunday Morning: "Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not"

Which was also the origin for the Arctic Monkey's first album. The name was chosen after Turner recognised similarities between the two works and the appropriateness of the title. He said that "it's good because the book is called Saturday Night and Sunday Morning and that's kind of what the album is, so there's a link there. And also, there's a lot of people saying a lot of things about us and you don't have control over it."

Another true story.

I always thought that was a strange quote. Maybe I’m missing the point, but if someone said to him, ‘you’re a good lyricist with a good singing voice’, is that what he’s not???

I’m probably way off the mark.

Impossible to really say of course,but I think the ultra woke snowflakes who despise Morrissey today because that's what they're told to 'think' would lap up Morrissey circa 1983. He was quite ahead of his time with some views that are ultra woke today. Being a vegetarian for a start.
Which means he'd be despised with equal force by those on the other side of the political spectrum. They would definitely call The Smiths a "woke" band and Morrissey would get it the worst with his outgoing nature, effeminacy, anti-Conservatism. In that sense, not that much would be different. Those kinds of people hated him when he first appeared and they'd hate him if he appeared for the first time today.

Which means he'd be despised with equal force by those on the other side of the political spectrum. They would definitely call The Smiths a "woke" band and Morrissey would get it the worst with his outgoing nature, effeminacy, anti-Conservatism. In that sense, not that much would be different. Those kinds of people hated him when he first appeared and they'd hate him if he appeared for the first time today.
In the 80’s, they did a comprehensive re-issue campaign of all The Beatles singles, released on the corresponding dates 20 years on. It lasted for 8 years. The first one did ok, but by the end they were scraping the top 100.

20 years doesn’t seem that long really, but maybe it’s an example of changing tastes.

A very good point. And Reel around the fountain. It doesn’t make much for the snowflakes to squeal these days.

They make the types who liked the Smiths in the 80s look like the BNP, they’re so wet.
If they started today they wouldn’t write the same songs

I've just been watching something in another thread by Cardi B, I think...track called Wet Ass Pussy.
Guess 'wet ass pussy' is where we're at today, musically. :rolleyes:
Yeah pretty grim and I've not even listened to it. You know that type of music is getting lapped up by young folk up and down the country (UK) and there's a strange thing that's happened to white folk who tune into that kinda culture, they talk with black accents! Can anyone explain that?

Yeah pretty grim and I've not even listened to it. You know that type of music is getting lapped up by young folk up and down the country (UK) and there's a strange thing that's happened to white folk who tune into that kinda culture, they talk with black accents! Can anyone explain that?
They’re just trying to be ‘cool’.

And failing miserably! It's pretty funny to hear it tho as it sounds so fake😂
I remember a film, but I can’t recall what it’s called, where this 15/16 year old lad talks ‘black’, but then the police come around to quiz him over something & it scares the shit out of him & reverts to his normal, posh voice.

It was funny at the time, trust me.

Back
Top Bottom