I don't think Kill Uncle is THAT bad

MyDoppelganger

Such a Nice Guy
I've been listening to Kill Uncle quite a bit lately. It certainly isn't the greatest of albums, but I'd hesitate to say it's horrible. There are some absolute gems on this album.

I think the album would be one of Mozzer's best if the shite was cut out.

1. Our Frank
2. Sing Your Life
3. Mute Witness
4. King Leer
5. Driving Your Girlfriend Home
6. There's a Place in Hell for Me and My Friends

Right there, you've got a great Moz album. Very short, but great nonetheless.

Re: I don't think Kill Uncle is THAT bad.

It definitely has its charm .. ive always loved Our Frank and Driving your girlfriend home .. the KROQ version of Sing Your Life should is amazing, much prefer it over the album version which is a little flat. End of the family line is much goodness too. But As much as I love those songs it's the album which has the most songs of his on it which I just dont want to listen to .. Found Found Found, Tony the Pony, Mute Witness, Asian Rut etc .. So yeah I don't out right dislike it, but it's still at the bottom unfortunatly.

Sure it's not bad. It's arguably Morrissey's weakest solo album, but that's no reason it should be bad. It's just less great than his other ones.

cheers

I like those first 4 songs, you can't put down Our Frank!

absolutely brilliant album, my favorite next to SG.
really don't understand all the hate

I like it way better than Vauxhall And I, actually.

But ROTT will always be my favorite.

I like it. It goes second after Southpaw Grammar.
King Leer's brilliant.

Last edited:

A great album from start to finish. Very unconventional, possibly not what most people seek from a "Morrissey" album, but a work of absolute genius nonetheless. Veering between being absurdly camp on one hand(King Leer, Sing Your Life) to quite stark and dark on the other(End of the Family Line, Asian Rut), KU is a unique, powerful and timeless piece of art. :thumb:

That's what I would have said if I hadn't been awake for 23 hours. :)

No I wasn't there. :squiffy:

the live versions of those songs on Kill Uncle (the ones that were played live anyways)are much more lively and energized compared to their studio version counterpart. Still doesn't change my mind that its my least favorite record.

WELL there are radio braodcasted bootlegs, on Drifters great bootleg site
you can choose one, and it'll turn yer opinion.

were you there

19 years ago

his first tour

:guitar:

absolutely brilliant album, my favorite next to SG.
really don't understand all the hate

I like it. It goes second after Southpaw Grammar.
King Leer's brilliant.

Yer both mad. ;)

I think Kill Uncle has some great songs (it's a Morrissey album after all), but the production is godawful and the arrangements are lifeless. It's like someone kidnapped Morrissey, wrapped him in several layers of wet cotton wool and then stuck him in a box; there's genius in there somewhere, but it's been smothered.

As for Southpaw, I think those songs are much weaker, but at least it sounds good.

If you combined the best of both, you'd have a fantastic record. :thumb:

Yer both mad. ;)

I think Kill Uncle has some great songs (it's a Morrissey album after all), but the production is godawful and the arrangements are lifeless. It's like someone kidnapped Morrissey, wrapped him in several layers of wet cotton wool and then stuck him in a box; there's genius in there somewhere, but it's been smothered.

As for Southpaw, I think those songs are much weaker, but at least it sounds good.

If you combined the best of both, you'd have a fantastic record. :thumb:

I've always suspected I was. ;)

I can see your point and in fact I almost agree with you. But sometimes it happens that you realise something (in this case a record) is of questionable quality, but you simply like it, because... because it is charming. Not sure if I can explain my affection to KU, but I became addicted to it from the first time I heard it. :o
SG sounds more than just good, it's epic. It took me ages to fall in love with the album though. But it's finally happened and... well, till death do us part. :D

I think Quarry, Ringleader, Maladjusted and probably even Viva Hate are all worse albums than Kill Uncle.
I also really like The Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye.

The re-issue, while adding four good songs into the mix, actually loses the soul of the album for me.

Exactly. The three "new" songs were a great treat, but I prefer the real SG.

Last edited:

SG sounds more than just good, it's epic.

This is very true - SG does sound epic. It's always been such disappointing album for me because the sound is THERE, but the songs themselves fall far short of the mark.

Ah well, we take what we can get. :)

Tags
nicethreadtitle
Back
Top Bottom