'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian

Link retweeted by @ericacalil:

'I feel like I've been had': Morrissey's collaborators respond to his politics - The Guardian
The former Smiths singer’s new album features guest spots from Billie Joe Armstrong and Grizzly Bear’s Ed Droste. Are they not put off by his increasingly unpleasant right-wing stance?

Excerpt:

As US music magazine the Fader asked: “What possible reason could any of these people have for lining up behind Morrissey now?”

Droste declined to comment. The only artist willing to speak with the Guardian was Canadian vocalist Ariel Engle, who performs with cult indie outfit Broken Social Scene. She received a call from the American producer Joe Chiccarelli asking her to contribute backing vocals for a cover of Joni Mitchell’s Don’t Interrupt the Sorrow. “I thought, ‘Oh the Smiths, sure’,” she says. “It was $500 for two hours’ work.”

Engle says she didn’t become aware of Morrissey’s political views until the album was announced and a friend emailed to question her involvement. “It’s a very weak argument to claim ignorance,” she says, “but it is my argument. It’s not an excuse but it happens to be the truth.”

Morrissey’s manager, Peter Katsis, says he is unaware of statements made by any guest vocalists, but that the intention of the covers album was supposed to be fun. “This is where his head is at,” he says. “Maybe enough has been said with the last few albums being political.” Of Morrissey’s political views, Katsis says: “I manage his artistic career and sometimes I have to deal with things he says, but it’s not for me to comment.”

Chiccarelli echoes Katsis’s sentiment. “I can’t speak to Moz’s politics,” he says. “I’m a record-maker. I’ve known him 10 years and he’s been a gentleman and a pleasure. I consider him a friend.” When asked about the far-right figures for whom Morrissey has expressed support, Chiccarelli says: “I’d really have to research it and see if it crossed a particular line for me.”

Engle says that learning of Morrissey’s political opinions has left a “bad taste”, and that she stands in opposition to his views. “The inflammatory things he says are not my politics. I think he’s completely out of line. I grew up around multiculturalism and I am the product of multiculturalism and immigration. I feel like I’ve been had, but it’s my fault.”

The American singer LP offered a statement through a PR representative: “As I’m a huge fan of his music and poetry, I was honoured to be asked to collaborate on the album.” Representatives for Lydia Night of California band the Regrettes offered no comment, but the 18-year-old told punk magazine Kerrang!: “I’ve grown up loving the Smiths – my cat’s name is Morrissey!” Representatives for Armstrong said he was in the studio and therefore unreachable.

The guest stars on California Son are all North American, suggesting a difference between perceptions of the former Smiths frontman in the US and UK. Katsis, who is American, sees the critical focus on Morrissey’s politics as a British preoccupation.

“I don’t think they know enough about it to care about it,” he says of Morrissey’s US fans. “I don’t feel knowledgable enough to comment on British politics, therefore it’s probably not as important to me or the international fans as it is to UK fans. This whole thing has had me perplexed. The subjects are very complicated and dividing.”

The figures bear out Morrissey’s enduring support across the Atlantic. He ended 2018 with arena shows in North and South America, and has announced his first Canadian tour in 20 years for this April. In November 2017, Los Angeles City Council declared 10 November “Morrissey Day”.

“In America, he tends to be seen as the rock star who sang about queer life and spoke openly about feminism when nobody else did,” says Rolling Stone critic Rob Sheffield. “These two images define him, and he’s still seen in terms of his pioneering place in history. His grumpy old age is not really held against him. Americans tend not to follow UK politics very closely, so when he makes mind-blowingly offensive statements there might be outrage or humiliation for a few days, or hours, but then it’s back to listening to The Queen Is Dead”.

Media coverage:

Last edited:
Didn’t you claim like two months ago that you had a big sum of money you were going to drink away...
Enough to spend on drink, Viva, but not enough to see me through to retirement or buy me a nice place in the sun. Just enough, but nothing more. I've still got some left, but it's not life changing amounts.

Enough to spend on drink, Viva, but not enough to see me through to retirement or buy me a nice place in the sun. Just enough, but nothing more. I've still got some left, but it's not life changing amounts.

Yeah, because there’s absolutely nothing you could have possibly done with that money to better your situation...

Your real problem seems to be that you’re retarded.

you do what you gotta do man, lying, exaggerating, twisting, altering screens, thats your bag still?
great, but some of us actually change as we get older, honestly dude, other than my always feeling the ever smaller amount of bad because of how I treated you oh so many years ago and whatever part that played in turning you into this sick, twisted shell of a person now, I suppose some part of me will always feel bad about that, though you make it harder to as you basically remain a total piece of shit, by choice it seems
but f*** man, ur a grown up, time to move on
and maybe while your at it and not hate people because of the color of their skin, what god they worship or don't, their accent, their sexual orientation, gender or whatever :rolleyes:

I'm following this back and forth with great interest as I've been on this isn't a long time and have a fairly decent memory. Robert you have been in the past, somewhat honest about your failings, maybe too honest for a public forum. So that being the case which part of Viva's claims that harassed your ex wife, hit on underage girls, threatened to murder people and followed a female member of this site after a Morrissey concert do you claim isn't true?

People who live on the outskirts of society. People who worry that they have so little of their own, they can't afford to share it with anyone else. Very selfish, I know.

So when you say ... ‘Give us a chance for heavens sake.’

You’re asking foreigners that are moving in to give you a chance? That you feel some threat of resources being taken away from you?

Yeah, because there’s absolutely nothing you could have possibly done with that money to better your situation...

Your real problem seems to be that you’re retarded.
Money worries me, like everybody else. I need too much of it or none at all. When I've got just enough, I don't know what to do with it. It puts me in an impossible situation. I remember when I used to be so hard up, that finding a few coins in the street could be the difference between eating for the week or going without. I'm not like that now but I'm by no means rich. It won't last forever.

thats right the NamedroppingSockPuppet runs his billionaire real estate empire from the closet of
his officious council 'residence'. Oftentimes he takes his non existing extended family shopping to the
finest Islamic establishments in Manchester.:lbf:

Mr Cometry has his killer comet, the NDSP has Hooky and mani as best mates.:lbf:

Money worries me, like everybody else. I need too much of it or none at all. When I've got just enough, I don't know what to do with it. It puts me in an impossible situation. I remember when I used to be so hard up, that finding a few coins in the street could be the difference between eating for the week or going without. I'm not like that now but I'm by no means rich. It won't last forever.

I’ll never understand people that don’t know how to manage their money.

PS to the legion of Hooky fans:lbf:
he will be walking he Pooch by Afflecks tomorrow.:thumb:

I can't explain it. I panic. I don't know, what im supposed to do with it. Let's win the lottery. Let's have so much that we, don't have to even think about what we're doing with it. Let's have so much that it means nothing to us.

I feel the same but then again if you ask people about their life story and experience it is sometimes hard to judge. I believe the school system should swap useless trivia like religion and history and focus on private economy and making sure every student leaves the school with a driving license and not least women should be helped to get a drivers license cause they are so far behind.

Religion and history are based on theories and not much knowledge as we can see whenever they find something new. Mankind need to focus on their life here and now.

The vikings would not have been as organised had they constantly used violence. The past is just guess work.

I can't explain it. I panic. I don't know, what im supposed to do with it. Let's win the lottery. Let's have so much that we, don't have to even think about what we're doing with it. Let's have so much that it means nothing to us.

Or you could just...save it or invest it. But what do I know?

Says the guy living and eating for free only having to leave the basement when his mother calls his name. How much does she pay you a week and what do you spend it on?

Says the guy living and eating for free only having to leave the basement when his mother calls his name. How much does she pay you a week and what do you spend it on?

There aren’t basements here. My mother is dead. I have a job. Try to keep up. Also, suck my dick.

For some people money means stress and my bro was like that and it was like money was burning in his hands. I remember when he inherited his step mom and called me and asked if my best mate who had a car could take him to buy a tv and computer and more. My friend said no for some reason and we went out in his car and suddenly saw my brother standing talking to a drug dealer about to buy so much drugs the town would have been sold out.
I told my friend to make a dramatic u-turn and so we picked up my brother and took him to the stores so instead of drugs he got himself a tv and computer and a few other things and he was very grateful for it.

I like your views as they come from having lived a real life that probably included some struggles so hearing from people like you means so much.

I don't judge Viva cause I was a lot like him not long ago but I've started to evaluate things and came to the conclusion that a persons life experiences and story tells us all we need to know why some ended up in problems with money and health and more.

Few people realise how fast things can spiral out of control and sometimes it just takes a loved one dying for life to change for the worse.

Brexit was indeed magnificent - very few in the public eye have he guys to comment even though it is the majority view. Thanks moz
So magnificent they want to push it out by two years. Ye Brits are masters at delayed gratification.

No not at all but why the f*** did he have to express sympathy for the scum bag in the first place. It's the most stupid thing he has ever done in his career and not something I and thousands of others would have never expected him to do.

The leader of the Labour Party has shown support for the IRA...........who killed people........actually killed people and he's adored as the great white hope of British politics by some idiots. In comparison, Robinson is an angel.

Nothing to do with Haslam, all do to with with large numbers of people not agreeing with his views on Robinson and Walters. He f***ed up big time discussing anything to do with those two and it was not something I ever expected to see from the man who fronted a band that I loved from their fist gig I saw back in 84.

This isn't 1984..........Islam wasn't blowing us up back then.

I’m sure his family legally immigrated and didn’t push to have religious law within predominantly Irish communities.
Exactly. They just got along and contributed to the economy by paying tax and didn't have an interest in hacking people's heads off. Or if they did they covered it up well. Unless thats what put Moz off meat.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom