I Hate Myself and Want to Die: The 52 Most Depressing Songs You’ve Ever Heard

The Seeker of Good Songs

That is the title of a book that is out that I heard talked about on the radio today....don't kow how long the book has been out, but not one mention of old Mogsy in it at all.

here is a review of it:

I Hate Myself and Want to Die - The 52 Most Depressing Songs You've Ever Heard, by Tom Reynolds (Hyperion Books) - If you're looking for a book that will share in the depths of your misery and praise your favorite Morrissey song, then put this book down - it's not for you. Instead, Reynolds offers a truly hilarious take on a variety of tracks and their performers - some of which he pokes fun at for taking themselves far too seriously, others he delves into to reveal what may not have been so readily apparent. Dripping with sarcasm and a general disdain for some of the bad music that somehow became hits, no genre, legend or topic is safe from Reynolds' incisive wit and wisdom. There are some laugh-out-loud moments that make the book memorable. Reynolds may have created a cottage industry for himself - we're waiting for volume two!

Not really worth the time and effort

I bought this book last year, its not that great. The many of the 'depressing' songs are included for their sheer awfulness rather than their ability to induce suicidal tendencies i.e. Celine Dion and Kenny Rogers appear. Also, it's quite US-centric. There are one or two laugh out loud moments but the book becomes a chore about halway through

The title of the book is from a nirvana song
it's not that good really

I Hate Myself And Want to Die

Runny nose and runny yolk
even if you have a cold still
you can cough on me again
i still haven't had my fulfill

In the some day X4
What's that sound

Broken heart and broken bones
think about how a castrated horse feels
one more quirky cliche' phrase
you're the one i wanna refill

In the some day X4
What's that sound?

(incoherent mumble during the solo)
most people don't realize that
two large pieces of coral painted brown
and attached to his skull with common wood screws
would make a child look like a deer

In the some day X4
What's that sound?

Runny nose and runny yolk
even if you have a cold still
you can cough on me again
i still haven't had my fulfill

In the some day
What's that sound X4

yeah, i've seen this down the shops. i flicked through it expecting Moz to take a bashing at some point but was pleasantly surprised that there was no mention. Good.

I read a review of it when it first came out, which I read expecting it to mention Morrissey, and I seem to remember the author of the review commenting that he was suprised Moz wasn't in. I think they did one of those "The songs that should have been in" things and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" was on the list, but I could be wrong.

this could've been more interesting if he'd picked GOOD depressing songs, not "songs that sucked so badly that death is the preferred option".

if discussing the former, i think my top slot would be a tie between the smiths "please, please, please..." and gilbert o'sullivan's "alone again (naturally)". o'sullivan's lyrics to that one are stunning.

poprenaissance said:
this could've been more interesting if he'd picked GOOD depressing songs, not "songs that sucked so badly that death is the preferred option".

if discussing the former, i think my top slot would be a tie between the smiths "please, please, please..." and gilbert o'sullivan's "alone again (naturally)". o'sullivan's lyrics to that one are stunning.

Yes, Alone Again is a gorgeous song. However, if we are to choose the most depressing - not self-deprecating - song, I think I'd go for Lou Reed's "The Kids". Though just about every song from that album (Berlin) is a worthy contestant...

spectral hand said:
Most songs by Portishead make me want to slit my wrists ... in a good way.

I like Portishead...I don't find it depressing at all.

Hi, excuse my english, I am from Germany. Is there any possibility to see this list of songs in the web? I Didn`t find it with google.
By the way, I find "Exit Music" and "how to disappear completely" by Radiohead and most songs from Leonard Cohen depressing.

poprenaissance said:
gilbert o'sullivan's "alone again (naturally)". o'sullivan's lyrics to that one are stunning.
It is the one song that never fails to make my very solid dad cry. It's this verse that gets him:

"Now looking back over the years,
And what ever else that appears
I remember I cried when my father died
Never wishing to have cried the tears
And at sixty-five years old,
My mother, God rest her soul,
Couldn't understand, why the only man
She had ever loved had been taken
Leaving her to start with a heart
So badly broken
Despite encouragement from me
No words were ever spoken
And when she passed away
I cried and cried all day
Alone again, naturally
Alone again, naturally"

It almost exactly paralles his life. I actually cry thinking about how it affects him.

Oh yeah I was in the book store the other day and skimmed thru it.. plainly it sucked half the songs werent really sad.. and no mention of Moz or The Smiths at all.. so I put the book down..

I read a review of it when it first came out, which I read expecting it to mention Morrissey, and I seem to remember the author of the review commenting that he was suprised Moz wasn't in. I think they did one of those "The songs that should have been in" things and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" was on the list, but I could be wrong.
Anyone who includes There Is A Light That Never Goes Out on the list of depressive songs is obviously 1) shallow 2) hasn't listened to the song properly 3) knows very little about The Smiths and Morrissey (probably all 3 at the same time).

I would expect the, to include Asleep or I Know It's Over, or maybe That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore... and out of all Smiths songs they chose There Is A Light That Never Goes Out???!!! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom