'I Wish You Lonely' next single...? Update - Official Lyric video posted

UPDATE Oct. 25:

Posted by Famous when dead:

The lyric video had resurfaced:

Also posted as a single on Spotify:

...if there are indeed such things as 'singles' anymore?

about an hour ago í got sent an e-mail update from the MorrisseyVEVO account announcing that they had just uploaded a new video 'I Wish You Lonely (Official Lyric Video) '.

By the time í saw the e-mail and clicked the link, the upload had been removed.

Just in time for Xmas...? :p

Posted by Famous when dead:

Oh...and this too:

Last edited by a moderator:
this isn't a great choice for new single . Song is pretty good but doesn't really have a chorus as such , it's just the same as the verse . can't see this one catching fire at all beyond the hardcore fanbase

Not crazy about the production either . all those squelchy noises . it's a clean polished production but soulless .

I like it as a song but I don't think it makes a good single. I think 'My Love' would have been a better choice. It's a complete contrast to STDIB and shows the diversity of Moz and the diversity that I think this album with have.

To my mind it's a brilliant Song. Morrissey at his best. The part "...romance gone wrong...." gives me the bums. Had to listen to it five times in a row!! Nobody else on the planet sings like this:thumb:

Wow very different from the live version in that I didn’t hear the synths really in the live one. Gives the song a different texture. Don’t know how it’ll work as a single but maybe they’ll just keep pushing Stdib on radio and talk shows and this is more for the fanbase. Still my least fav of the new songs but the studio version has for sure upped my appreciation of the song

I agree about the romance gone wrong bit, I don't get why people don't like the way he has sung it - I love it.

I also like the production, I am an absolute guitar nut but I think its refreshing that he is using a different sound. For me it's modern, fresh and appealing. One thing I've realised from visiting this site over many many year is that you can never please Morrissey fans. If the production would have been guitar heavy then he would be criticised for churning out chug rock.

this isn't a great choice for new single . Song is pretty good but doesn't really have a chorus as such , it's just the same as the verse . can't see this one catching fire at all beyond the hardcore fanbase

Not crazy about the production either . all those squelchy noises . it's a clean polished production but soulless .

At this stage he will only appeal to his loyal fanbase, so just as well release songs/singles we like.
Spend The Day In Bed is hardly likely to 'break America' or turn him into a worldwide superstar idolised by millions of teenagers.
Who cares about a catchy chorus if a song on the whole is good anyway?

To my mind it's a brilliant Song. Morrissey at his best. The part "...romance gone wrong...." gives me the bums. Had to listen to it five times in a row!! Nobody else on the planet sings like this:thumb:
If by bums you mean good then yeah I love that bit too but I've never heard the phrase "gives me the bums."

It's sounds so "rant-y". Where are the slashes of guitar, riffs, chariot choogles, etc. to drive this plodding entry home??
Sometimes when I listen to Morrissey sing jam-packed lyrics like these, my jaw aches in sympathy at the over-enunciation. I need some ball swinging rhythm section action to get me through a song like this, yet it never arrived...

It's not even catching fire with his own fans. If you're a casual or hearing morrissey for the first time, you'd be switching the station. I'm done bashing this album, and i dont need to hear the full tracklist to know it's just gonna be much of the same. Morrissey does sound great tho, and the lyrical content will be hit & miss. There'll be flashes of brilliance, but plenty of head shaking and skipping tracks. That said, I will continue to show my support as a fan, by buying 5 different coloured vinyl LPs :rock:

I Wish You Lonely is so good. The production is fabulous with those little crunchy electronic sounds. His voice is so confident. Somehow the "Romance gone wrong..." line is wonderfully affecting as is the "Heroin..." refrain. Good work Moz.

I love that line!

Not a bad song, but to my ears, it sounds a bit overproduced.

From Stereogum:

"Like “Spent The Day In Bed,” it’s a more produced and processed rock song than we’re used to hearing from Morrissey; there’s a lot of synthy, funky strut in its backbeat. And like that first single, its erudite lyrics nod to the way impersonal political forces can affect the lives of everyday people: “Tombs are full of fools who gave their life upon command of monarchy, oligarch, head of state, potentate.”" https://www.stereogum.com/1968944/morrissey-i-wish-you-lonely/music/

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the song but curiously it sounds slightly flatter than the live version from Droolz Holland. I think there are stronger songs on the album. It feels to me like the song goes nowhere, it leads to a chorus but there isn't a chorus. I'm sure my appreciation will improve as I listen to it in the context of the album. Sometimes an album needs to be considered in it's entirety. For example, Quarry, Ziggy Stardust, Depeche Mode's 'Playing the Angel', World Peace, Vauxhall, Suede's 'Night Thoughts' etc (i.e. proper albums).
When I say 'flatter' I probably mean 'over produced', as per Harsh Truth's comment.

I actually liked this track from first listen, but that changed when I heard the lyrics "tombs full of fools who gave their life on command". As someone with two members of my family who died at very young ages serving this country, I take offence, neither of these men were fools. I must be getting touchy in my old age as no-one else has mentioned this, but sorry its how I feel :(

This song kicks ass in all departments!
Will stand up well in Moz solo discography for years to come.

Do you think we'll be listening to this in 20years time, with the same enjoyment as EILS, Now My Heart Is Full, Jack the Ripper, Disappointed, Sister I'm a Poet, We'll Let You Know, Suedehead, Trouble Loves Me, etc etc etc etc etc...
I think not.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom