If you got the chance to interview Morrissey, what would you ask him?

the_kaz

I'm fed up seeing interviewers squander their precious chance to interview Morrissey by asking him the same old questions and, generally, not daring to ask anything controversial! I can’t really think of much I’m desperate to ask him (within the context of a reasonable and proper interview), but I’m curious what the rest of you would ask. I’ll probably post more questions as (or if) I think of them. However, I’d definitely ask him what the reasoning behind removing tracks from some of his re-issues is. I'd possibly also want to probe into the logic behind his recent Falklands comments (I'm not going to go into exactly what I'd ask him about that right now, so that people who feel strongly either way about his views don't derail the thread), and I'd question him about his choices in "dressing up" the band.

What about you? Remember, I'm asking about a proper interview, with a respected magazine or newspaper or something, so no silly answers please! :p

Last edited:
I'm fed up seeing interviewers squander their precious chance to interview Morrissey by asking him the same old questions and, generally, not daring to ask anything controversial! I can’t really think of much I’m desperate to ask him (within the context of a reasonable and proper interview), but I’m curious what the rest of you would ask. I’ll probably post more questions as (or if) I think of them. However, I’d definitely ask him what the reasoning behind removing tracks from some of his re-issues is. I'd possibly also want to probe into the logic behind his recent Falklands comments (I'm not going to go into exactly what I'd ask him about that right now, so that people who feel strongly either way about his views don't derail the thread), and I'd question him about his choices in "dressing up" the band.

What about you? Remember, I'm asking about a proper interview, with a respected magazine or newspaper or something, so no silly answers please! :p

The TTY site still displays "Submit a question for Morrissey" , but the last set of answers was from 2007 so I presume this is now dormant?

Do you believe you will eventually turn into Siegfried Sassoon ?

( Y'know , from being poetic, left -wing and gay into conservative, Catholic and married !)

I would ask him for a detailed account of the legendary, first Sex Pistols gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall in Manchester. He has spoken briefly about it in the past, but nowhere near enough for me.

I would ask him if his final answer to the question "Do you see signs?" is "No." ;)

Do you bop the bologna pony?

I would ask him if he had any regrets and given his strong belief in fate, why was it so important?

Last edited:
I'd ask him if he wanted to motorboat my bewbies.

I'd ask him to describe his deal with EMI - how many future reissues does it cover, what are his obligations and his rights regarding these reissues, how the income is divided (how come he has not received a royalty from EMI since 1992, as he had complained), what are the provisions regarding the promotion...

does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?

He doesn't know.

I'd ask him about how songwriting happens. Does he get a full complete song from somebody and then just adds his vocal melodies, or is it a process going back and forth, and how much influence he takes on the music.

He doesn't know.

I'd ask him about how songwriting happens. Does he get a full complete song from somebody and then just adds his vocal melodies, or is it a process going back and forth, and how much influence he takes on the music.

He's already answered that one plenty of times.

I'd probably ask him about strictly technical matters relating to his songs. No one does much of that. It's usually just celebrity gossip. I'd develop some questions after a quick brush-up on the Morrissey songwriting lore in "Songs That Saved Your Life" and Gavin Hopps' book. I would also limit my questions to his solo career.

His favourite colour and whom does he write,erm,some very erotic lines about (well,his answer is probably "about some abstract person who doesn't exist").

I'd ask him if he knows what his mother intended to name him if he were born a girl. And if he didn't know, I'd ask him to ring her up on his celly and ask her, because I think it's most likely an awesome key.

I'd axe if this life was enough for him. He seems to believe in "the next world" but let's say that belief by faith in Jesus is the only way into the lovely, peaceful, harmonious next world. Does he care?
Does he live his life in a way that shows evidence or fruit that Jesus is his Savior and Lord? If there is a Hell as well, is he scared that there might be a place for he and his friends there?

Back
Top Bottom