Instructions to Visconti - Red Bull Music Academy (2011 interview)

Let's not forget that during this period, Morrissey's live consideration was always 'loud, loud, loud' - so it wouldn't really surprise me if ultimately he was the one in charge of the final mix/master, and pushed the engineers to make it as 'hot' as possible.

Ultimately, Morrissey is in charge of everything. There's no way ROTT went out without him fully approving the final mix, along with the cover artwork, font, etc etc.
If he took it home, and thought it sounded muddy, I'm sure he would have done something to alter it before it came out. That's obviously the way he wanted it - though anyone with decent ears that haven't been blown to shit by touring can tell it's not a good final result.

again though its not the loudness but the muddiness or lack of clarity. i listen to mostly very loud distorted music and have no problem with loud music or with other records finns done even yor which i very much like. the problem with rott is the lack of clarity and the only difference between those records i know of is visconti who has more of a classic rock background which does make me wonder. im sure he did approve the mix but that doesnt always mean hes super happy with it. even morrissey does have to concede to deadlines sometimes. also im pretty sure i read that on maladjusted he didnt approve to much and the label stepped in. the cover for instance

This. Also with the Warsaw incident, and him leaning forward when an interviewer is asking a questions leads me to believe his hearing sucks.

Many rock stars his age are going dead. Pete Townshend went dead in his 30s and Eric Clapton can barely hear.

Going dead?

Once you can misspell that word, but twice?

again though its not the loudness but the muddiness or lack of clarity.

Personally I would say one leads to the other. You can only crank the volume so high during mixing/mastering, before you end up compressing all the dynamic range, which will result in an overall lack of clarity. Ultimately though, there's no way to pinpoint where exactly this issue came in - mix, or master - unless someone smuggles out the original recording tapes.

But yeah - I agree it sounds 'muddy', though I suspect Big M wanted it that way.

Personally I would say one leads to the other. You can only crank the volume so high during mixing/mastering, before you end up compressing all the dynamic range, which will result in an overall lack of clarity. Ultimately though, there's no way to pinpoint where exactly this issue came in - mix, or master - unless someone smuggles out the original recording tapes.

But yeah - I agree it sounds 'muddy', though I suspect Big M wanted it that way.

agreed for the most part. i was just pointing out that yor is also very loud but dosnt sound like rott does, thats all but yeah it could for sure be how mr. moz preferred or at least something he tried.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom