Interview with Cornershop's Tjinder Singh reflects on Morrissey protest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...r-singh-brexit-morrissey-music-england-garden

Extract:

"On No Rock: Save in Roll you’ll also hear a discreet sitar; this musical synthesis is everywhere in Cornershop’s back catalogue, a musical response, perhaps, to how difficult assimilation has been for them in other ways. In 1993 their first EP’s lead track, England’s Dreaming, injected indie with the spirit of protest, fusing lyrics from the Smiths’ Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now and Public Enemy (“I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour/Fight the Power!”).

This protest was about Morrissey, who had draped himself in a union jack at a Madness gig in summer 1992, when the flag was very much a symbol of the far right. He had also released controversial songs such as The National Front Disco and Bengali in Platforms, the latter addressing an immigrant to Britain wanting to assimilate (“shelve your western plans/and understand/That life is hard enough when you belong here”). Cornershop had also set fire to pictures of Morrissey outside his record company offices around their EP’s release. This was dismissed as a press stunt by some at the time, but given Morrissey’s ramping up of anti-immigrant statements over the years – including wearing a badge celebrating the far-right For Britain party on America’s Jimmy Fallon show last May – it now seems on the money.

“What’s changed now is people have this phrase, and I think it’s a lovely phrase, called ‘white privilege’,” Singh says, looking back. “That’s what Morrissey had, that ability to just continue regardless – Clapton had it too.” He’s referring to Clapton’s drunken on-stage rant in 1976, saying that Britain was “overcrowded”, and that his fans should vote for Enoch Powell. That action prompted the creation of Rock Against Racism (Clapton has since said he feels “shame” about those remarks).

“Clapton then surrounded himself with black people, and now Morrissey’s doing the same,” says Singh, meaning Motown singer Thelma Houston, with whom Morrissey duetted on his recent single, Bobby, Don’t You Think They Know? “It was hard for Cornershop to make our stand then, because we were pulling a lot of disparate things together. We couldn’t just say, look at his badge. Look at his support of Tommy Robinson.”

Last edited by a moderator:
You clearly spend far too much time than is healthy in echo chambers, young man. Get out more and widen the scope of people you speak to in the real world. Your responses reveal a most sheltered existence. No wonder your expectations are uniformity. And when you fall back upon memes, all you’re displaying is how well Cambridge Analytica played upon your fears and deep-seated insecurities.
Get out more and take a break from those gamer/Chan sites where incels with only their right hand for company frequent and vent their frustrations, young man. It’ll be much to your long-term benefit, believe me.

Yeah that was some long winded nonsense that did nothing to address the topic at hand. You're a cuck for globalism and degrade your own culture and lineage. The fact you feel you are white privileged is embarrassing behavior. This is why I couldn't be a white power guy cause I can't relate to you at all. A lot of white cultures are too eager to put themselves down for other races. You won't see many blacks doing that or Muslims so I'll give them that

Yeah that was some long winded nonsense that did nothing to address the topic at hand. You're a cuck for globalism and degrade your own culture and lineage. The fact you feel you are white privileged is embarrassing behavior. This is why I couldn't be a white power guy cause I can't relate to you at all. A lot of white cultures are too eager to put themselves down for other races. You won't see many blacks doing that or Muslims so I'll give them that
You’re very defensive in your replies, young man. You place your identity crisis on full display. “White privilege” as a liberal trait? Wow. :LOL: And the inevitable use of the “C” word, too. You are just too predictable in your fragility. I can’t help but think your hate for non-white folks is pretty much based upon your deep-seated fears and envy of them. They’re clearly sturdier than you are. Their staying power and resilience unsettles you.
Why else has Tijinder enraged you so? I’ve things to be getting on with. You keep on with the victimhood you make your own. My points remain, very much to your annoyance. Have a reasonable afternoon.

You clearly spend far too much time than is healthy in echo chambers, young man. Get out more and widen the scope of people you speak to in the real world. Your responses reveal a most sheltered existence. No wonder your expectations are uniformity. And when you fall back upon memes, all you’re displaying is how well Cambridge Analytica played upon your fears and deep-seated insecurities.
Get out more and take a break from those gamer/Chan sites where incels with only their right hand for company frequent and vent their frustrations, young man. It’ll be much to your long-term benefit, believe me.
?
Hugh get a job and quit hanging around with Skinny drones and :turban:
twats. This twat wants to make it a law that decent peeps HAVE to buy his commie music FFS otherwise its white privilege. of course Skinny and his drones agree. Get a job learn what is to work without handouts. and quit haning at the mosque JFC:turban:

You’re very defensive in your replies, young man. You place your identity crisis on full display. “White privilege” as a liberal trait? Wow. :LOL: And the inevitable use of the “C” word, too. You are just too predictable in your fragility. I can’t help but think your hate for non-white folks is pretty much based upon your deep-seated fears and envy of them. They’re clearly sturdier than you are. Their staying power and resilience unsettles you.
Why else has Tijinder enraged you so? I’ve things to be getting on with. You keep on with the victimhood you make your own. My points remain, very much to your annoyance. Have a reasonable afternoon.

Nobody here is enraged and being called a cuck clearly struck a nerve Mr Psychologist, as far as I know, nobody here hates any pa6rticular race. The intelligent and rational people on here clearly see the agenda and problems with mass immigration, especially when it's being propelled intentionally to disturb nation's, is an issue worth speaking up for More particularly standing up for Morrissey when ignorant brown guy wants to criticize him and the rest of the "white privileged" nation. Protesting Morrissey is pathetic and laughable

Last edited:
?
Hugh get a job and quit hanging around with Skinny drones and :turban:
twats. This twat wants to make it a law that decent peeps HAVE to buy his commie music FFS otherwise its white privilege. of course Skinny and his drones agree. Get a job learn what is to work without handouts. and quit haning at the mosque JFC:turban:
Translation, in English? Or better still, a thoroughly absorbent cloth, please? The no-one with nothing to to say has just wanked across the screen yet again,

So, because an BME Brit says something you don't like and didn't have final say for makes him "ungrateful"? Grow up. Some here must be steroid cream addicts if they're that thin-skinned. f***ing hell! They most miss being mollycoddled by Matron, and don't it show?

So, because an BME Brit says something you don't like and didn't have final say for makes him "ungrateful"? Grow up. Some here must be steroid cream addicts if they're that thin-skinned. f***ing hell! They most miss being mollycoddled by Matron, and don't it show?

Bames shouldn't have any rights...they should just be grateful to be here, go to work, pay their taxes (many don't btw as they're a bunch of dodgy f***ers & scammers by nature) and shut the f*** up. I don't want to hear from a breed who groom & rape kids thanks, and it's outrageous that their ilk are defended by bame-lovers on here. They wouldn't be defending any white guy as they're almost as racist as blacks. Fact.

Cornershop’s ‘It’s Good to be Back on the Road Back Home Again’ (a song obviously inspired by the music of Lee Hazelwood), was one of my favourite songs from the 90s.

Cornershop’s first album was a belter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bames shouldn't have any rights...they should just be grateful to be here, go to work, pay their taxes (many don't btw as they're a bunch of dodgy f***ers & scammers by nature) and shut the f*** up. I don't want to hear from a breed who groom & rape kids thanks, and it's outrageous that their ilk are defended by bame-lovers on here. They wouldn't be defending any white guy as they're almost as racist as blacks. Fact.
So another one over-reliant on an accident of birth and nothing else reveals their stupidity. Somebody ring Papworth General Hospital. There's another loser in need of a life transplant.

Oi, inbred! Welcome to your future, just as you wished it to be. Will you be picking strawberries to boost the dole money, seeing as you never eat what immigrants touch?

Bame scammers
Bame scammers

Bame rapist/groomers
Bradford rapist groomers

Rotherham
British-Pakistani men rapist groomers

Yer ok carry on defending these types. Could be your daughter next. I hope it is you bunch of hypocrites.

Their type are still out there in Rochdale, Huddersfield, other places west Yorkshire way. I'd shit on all of these scum. Cornershop? f*** off. Buying something of theirs is akin to sponsoring the scammers, rapist, groomers.

Guilty by association? Yer, you got it...hate the f***ers.

Oi, inbred! Welcome to your future, just as you wished it to be. Will you be picking strawberries to boost the dole money, seeing as you never eat what immigrants touch?

Yeah whatever shortcake, give it your best shot....oh, I see you did.
Fail I'm afraid.
What is this 'dole money' which you speak of?

all Skinny cult drones are on the dole FFS get with the game plan.?

what a cuck name for a band 'Cornershop'?
they have been sucking on?⚾⚾s from when they first made their original sucky record.?

Oh Lawrence, what a complete bowl of shit thou dost spout. Guess you're not white at all? Otherwise you'd have a realisation of just how stoopid your comments actually are.
Inferiority, like yours, breeds contempt, I know, but I'm afraid your type are just gonna have to live with the cards you've, sadly, been dealt. I know you all wanna be white...some of you even take pills to try & achieve it because, well, frankly, you know how shit being a non-white actually is.
Well f***ing tough. You're the wrong end of the colour scale. Live with it.
You can always, you know, move back home where you feel wanted?
Spoken like that passing for what’s left of Morrissey’s fan base. No wonder the tickets remain unsold. Wouldn’t you say, @Surface?

Spoken like that passing for what’s left of Morrissey’s fan base. No wonder the tickets remain unsold. Wouldn’t you say, @Surface?

Oh no Milkshakecake, I'm not a Morrissey fan at all, just to put you right on things (I do like the smiths tho), But then again, neither are you, are you? Tickets can go unsold for all I care...it has no affect on me at all....and why would it, I don't have shares in Morrissey... I just hate bames & duplicitous f***tards who come on here & seek to protect them. Hypocrites like yourself no doubt?
Wake up & Fak Arf with your Cornershop rapists & groomer crew. Disgusting specimen.

Cornershop’s ‘It’s Good to be Back on the Road Back Home Again’ (a song obviously inspired by the music of Lee Hazelwood), was one of my favourite songs from the 90s.

Cornershop’s first album was a belter.

I've still got my early Cornershop 7" ep's and I saw 'em down in Camden twice. Absolutely brilliant live As for the haters hitching a ride here, they can go whistle.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom