Is there a 'real reason' why Morrissey and Johnny Marr never worked together again?

I actually think a reunion would be a big disappointment anyway.

As it is, The Smiths are dead, frozen in time, flawless.

"No, they can never touch you now..."

Let's keep it that way.

P.S. Whilst I don't doubt the 2008 meeting happened, given that it was in a pub in Manchester it beggars belief that no one recognised them and took sneaky photos. They haven't been pictured together since 1987 and it would have been nice to have seen a photo of them.
Meeting was in pub around Altrincham-Hale-Bowdon.
Not the metropolis of Manchester
More refined there and would be hidden amongst the footballers wives etc

While I used to wish for a reunion years ago... I've come to the same conclusion. Does anyone really want to see them reunite just to be a nostalgia act? If you want to see that there's plenty of footage on YouTube. Now one thing that could make it not entirely nostalgic is new material... but that could get pretty dodgy and a good way to ruin the legacy.

Good question on why there are no photos of the 2008 meet-up. Smartphones were not as prevalent, the iPhone was only released in 2007 (I know phones before that had cameras)... but maybe it's not that no one recognized them as much as their privacy was respected as local boys in the pub?

I would love to see a serious documentary on the Smiths like the Velvet Underground one by Todd Haynes.

A fan on here mentioned the 'pub meet' at the time, long before it was reported and I think they said it was the Griffin in Bowdon. Johnny just said it was a nice pub "near Morrissey's Mum's", which fits the bill.
Thanks Amy.

Griffin is where Morrissey was papped summer just gone during the Euros, wasnt it? Seems to be a favourite.

I think that the last ten years of Morrissey making various disagreeable statements is more than enough to mean that Marr wouldn't touch him with a bargepole ever again. Marr was clearly open to working with Morrissey again in 2008 but too much has been said since then by both parties and the probability of a collaboration or reunion is now vanishingly small.
This is a very one-aided view. It is Marr who has made most of the the disagreeable comments and who torpedoed the Smiths reunion. The reality is that they met up in 2008 in a pub and a conversation took place where Marr was pushing for a reunion in order to make millions from live shows. Morrissey was polite to him but afterwards clearly pondered the implications and decided against. It would mean forgetting all the sly digs Marr had been making in interviews and also forgetting that Marr split up the Smiths and dumped masses of work winding up the band’s affairs onto Morrissey.

This is a very one-aided view. It is Marr who has made most of the the disagreeable comments and who torpedoed the Smiths reunion. The reality is that they met up in 2008 in a pub and a conversation took place where Marr was pushing for a reunion in order to make millions from live shows. Morrissey was polite to him but afterwards clearly pondered the implications and decided against. It would mean forgetting all the sly digs Marr had been making in interviews and also forgetting that Marr split up the Smiths and dumped masses of work winding up the band’s affairs onto Morrissey.

When Morrissey is in the UK he is 6 mins away from Johnny. We can all speculate and spout our views but in reality none of us other that a few folks from Bowden/Hale have no idea what is really going on between the two them.

:rolleyes:

'we' can speculate about the views but' we ' KNOW where Moz
stays ALL THE TIME when in the UK:lbf:

Maybe LePew should take a seat if hes expecting an invitation:lbf:

:hammer:

I reckon it was 1991. Oregon Son started getting jealous because since California Son was rescued from Brittin after being kidnapped and being injected with meth and mind control drugs by Steve Street and forced to be in the shitty smiths, California Son had obviously become way more successful than overrated guitarist Oregon Son. Oregon Son started playing basketball and challenged California Son to a game of 1 on 1 to 21 on California Son's home court....the Malibu Rec. Big mistake by Oregon Son. Oregon Son came down to Moz Angeles from Portland wearing all his hemp clothes and got schooled by California Son 21-2. I reckon since then, Oregon Son would never show his face in Moz Angeles again or California take a piss he doesn't live in LA anymore chipper curry tit fark arse inn n nn nn nnn n nnn nn nnn n n n it.

View attachment 73539

You are such an embarrassing prick.

Could collaborate non musically

In all the talk about the Marr/Morrissey relationship, there really needs to be a distinction between the period before 2017 and the period after.
In the period before, although things were a little awkward there was always a chance they could work together again and as we know, it nearly happened around 2008. But from 2017 onwards when Morrissey officially endorsed/supported/defended a bunch of right to far-right wing wankers (For Britain, Farage, Le Pen, Tommy Robinson), there really is zero chance of Marr ever wanting to work with him again, unless Morrissey issues some massive retraction and expression of remorse for the foolishness of his political comments and actions.
Added to this that Marr's solo career (of which I'm not a huge fan) has gone from strength to strength in recent years, there is less reason than ever for Marr to work again with Morrissey. The amazing thing is that in the 2020s, you're now more likely to hear a new song on the radio being sung by the guitarist from the Smiths than by the singer.
My usual disclaimer is that Morrissey does not hold consistently right wing views, having expressed support for a few non-right wing politicians too. But unfortunately, his endorsement of For Britain was so clear and unambiguous, that this is what has stuck in people's minds and can always be easily referenced/quoted in any discussions about him until that endorsement is removed. Simply saying "I have never voted" changes nothing.

“around Altrincham-Hale-Bowdon”
So that equates to, You haven’t a clue, as usual.
It wasn’t in the Griffin, that’s for sure.

But this notion any reunion would be huge, is just that. As someone pointed to earlier, the Smiths record sales were not big, and although they have sold consistently since the split, it’s consistently average.
The Smiths are bigger in death, than in life. 1 reunion gig aside, there wouldn’t be the clamour for tickets for multiple events.

Stay solo, Morrissey. 🥰🍰

:)
we understand why you musnt be more specific
protecting Moz from the '6 minute nutters', but top fans can easily
discern the true location of the meeting from the above subtle info:telescope:
imaginary fans will be going in circles forever:seenoevil:

:hammer:

Back
Top Bottom