Jacques Brel

Shaw

I am a huge fan of Brel and I find it odd that Morrissey hasn't, as far as I'm aware, at least mentioned Brel. I would've thought Brel would be someone Morrissey would find many things to like, Brel's biting wit, his scathing hate for many things, his self-depreciation, his stunning lyrics with some beautiful music, etc. And of course, his amazing stage presence and passion as he performed, performing controversial songs.

Surely he appreciates something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daA1JnmIWu0

Morrissey will undoubtedly have heard of Brel so I wonder why he hasn't at least cited him in anyway. Unless he has?

A strong point here.

Morrissey, if you read this. Please give us a sign that tells us that you like ol' Jackie.

Morrissey's musical taste is rather different from others, possibly Brel doesn't appeal to him.

Brel is a regular contributer to this site....I'm sure he will have something to say on the subject:thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Surely he appreciates something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daA1JnmIWu0

Morrissey will undoubtedly have heard of Brel so I wonder why he hasn't at least cited him in anyway. Unless he has?

:eek: the inspiration for when you're boooorn to haaaaaaaaaang

I think the main problem here is that Brel sings in a different language, and has funny teeth, and so much charisma and talent it's intimidating. It's easier for Morrissey to acknowledge dunno, Martin Rotissoire from Gene, or, (insert name of artist of your choice).

Perhaps Moz feels Marc Almond has soiled Brel's legacy already, hence the lack of interest, is Moz even a Marc Almond's fan? Though I must admit, Almond has done Brel's songs plenty of justice as has Walker.

I Love Almond's songs, his Soft Cell's years are fab too, :cool:

Perhaps Moz feels Marc Almond has soiled Brel's legacy already, hence the lack of interest, is Moz even a Marc Almond's fan? Though I must admit, Almond has done Brel's songs plenty of justice as has Walker.

I Love Almond's songs, his Soft Cell's years are fab too, :cool:

:crazy:

Morrissey may not interested in Marc Almond / Soft Cell, but I suppose he wouldn't think Marc soiled Brel either.

Through Jill Smith they met, but they didn't become friends.

Last edited:
In his 1994 biography "Morrissey: Landcapes of the Mind" David Bret offers the following words...

The song [Seasick, Yet Still Docked], a long one, contained several stanzas inadvertently liking it with the work of the legendary Belgian singer-songwriter, Jacques Brel. Whereas Brel's gritty dialogue for 'Amsterdam', translated by Mort Shuman and covered by David Bowie, reads 'He wants to belch, but he's too full to try!' Morrissey politely declares 'Tonight, I've consumed much more than I can hold', and the overall theme of the song with its ticking clock - time slipping away, slowly but surely - is very reminiscent of Brel's 'Les Vieux'...

Hmmm? Not so sure myself, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway! You can judge for yourself about the song 'Les Vieux'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju6z_IhnuDs

I see them as songwriters who are direct, entertaining and dramatic.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I've also always wondered what Morrissey thinks of Scott Walker.

I second that. In love Scott and I'm sure Moz must like some of his stuff.

In his 1994 biography "Morrissey: Landcapes of the Mind" David Bret offers the following words...

The song [Seasick, Yet Still Docked], a long one, contained several stanzas inadvertently liking it with the work of the legendary Belgian singer-songwriter, Jacques Brel. Whereas Brel's gritty dialogue for 'Amsterdam', translated by Mort Shuman and covered by David Bowie, reads 'He wants to belch, but he's too full to try!' Morrissey politely declares 'Tonight, I've consumed much more than I can hold', and the overall theme of the song with its ticking clock - time slipping away, slowly but surely - is very reminiscent of Brel's 'Les Vieux'...

Hmmm? Not so sure myself, but I thought it worth mentioning anyway! You can judge for yourself about the song 'Les Vieux'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju6z_IhnuDs

I see them as songwriters who are direct, entertaining and dramatic.

That's fine but David Bret is a muppet.

That's fine but David Bret is a muppet.

:laughing: Oh, thank you.And it even rhymes!

I wouldn't of put it so kindly. I would of said he's one ugly nosey creature of the Marshes who obviously's never done anything good in his life (apart from nicking Barbra's nose.) So thanks for saying it all for me. :lbf:

Back
Top Bottom