Jade Goody Has Died Today R.I.P

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a pretty monumental event.
many people thought her illness might not have been genuine, or as serious as it was made out to be, when it was first announced.

it's gonna hit a lot of people pretty hard, particularly those between the age of around 10 and early 20's, if they've either not suffered a bereavement before, or were too young to understand what was going on when they did.

it will have really brought home the reality about how brutal terminal illnesses are, and the fact that, ultimately, no amount of money/medical care can save you.

I'm going to be incredibly unpopular here, but...

First of all, it's sad when anyone dies, and especially for her children who have lost a mother. Illness is never nice, and dying young is never nice. I know. I see the indisputable figures about more women going for smear tests - one of the very few good things to come out of this sorry episode.

Now - this whole Jade Goody thing, to me, symbolises all that is wrong with Britain, and in particular, the way mass media works. Just like Jordan, she prostituted every second of her life, before she was ill, and while she was ill. I hear the argument about her providing for her kids, and I am very cynical about it. She was doing, in illness, what she did before illness - selling magazine pages.

I see on the news that there are some people leaving flowers by her gate this morning. Fine, if that's how they want to remember her. I am thinking about the hundreds and thousands of others who die, every day.

She was a nobody thrust into the limelight by her appearance on a programme that made voyeurs of half of the country. A racist bully. If that's what people want to idolise and leave flowers for - fine. It's a shocking state of affairs in my opinion, that people feel they have to do that, while Mrs Miggins at Number 42 is wheeled away quietly to be cremated.

Anyway - to summarise - sad that children have lost their mother, good that more women are being checked out, bad that it's something worthy of blanket news coverage.

Peter

I see your point about Jade Goody appearing endlessly in magazines - it is annoying to see somebody being elevated to a position of national celebrity and having an awful lot of money thrown at them for no reason other than their willingness to expose every aspect of their personal life.

I disagree, though, that she "symbolises all that is wrong with Britain". You might be right in saying that she, like others, prostituted herself, but before we condemn her entirely, it's worth asking which of us has not turned our personal/economic capabilities to some dubious end? Which of us, at some point or other, hasn't done things we'd rather not have done in order to earn money. I doubt that many of us grow up with the ambition of working in McDonalds, for example, or in a call centre, or in advertising, or as a money-lender in a bank, or a retailer? Each of these occupations, it might be argued, are shameful in their own way. They're all whoredom. Really, I think, she (like God knows how many other celebrity non-entities) was a product of the amorality of capitalism. There is a demand for what these people have to offer and she was willing to supply.

How she earned her money and received her fame/infamy should also be considered in the context of her background, too. I'm not an authority on her, but a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that she had a pretty difficult upbringing and if you listened to her talking, it was pretty easy to arrive at the conclusion that she was - to say the least - undereducated ("East Angular" etc.). Remember, she was nationally ridiculed for her ignorance at the time of her first appearance on Big Brother. Such was the extent of her ignorance that her former school felt it necessary, at the time, to try to distance itself from her lest it reflected badly on the establishment. We're not talking about somebody brought up in a "thoroughly respectable" middle class household where people get to go to university and where values like "deferred gratification" are instilled. Selling meaningless stories about her life to trashy magazines like "Heat" and "Hello" etc. became her livelihood and, in the absence of alternative opportunities where she would be similarly rewarded, it's hard to fault her logic. Really, if contempt were appropriate, it'd be more appropriately directed at the readership and proprietors of those magazines and newspapers.

As for the "racism" allegations, certainly her remarks on "Celebrity" Big Brother were unpalatable but, again, I think you have to keep in mind her lack of education and the relatively insular environment into which she was born and in which she'd lived most of her life. Let's keep it in perspective: she wasn't advocating the forced repatriation of "darkies" or denying the Holocaust, or offering an endorsement of The Final Solution. I readily concede that she did use language that was both disparaging and racially derived, but the idea that she should be remembered as a dyed-in-the-wool racist is, I think, disingenuous. It sounds like an attempt to demonise her and "prove" that she was a Thoroughly Bad Egg Of Whom We Should All Disapprove. Ultimately, her "racist" comments were neither more hateful nor coherent than the kind of crap you'll heard spoken by thoroughly ordinary people in pubs and workplaces up and down the country every day of the week. The idea that she, in particular, ought to be a hate figure, because of her asinine name-calling, on "Celebrity" Big Brother seems a bit arbitrary.

Ultimately, Jade was both a product and a symbol of the society that gave her her celebrity status. Her success dispelled the myth that this is a world where people "get to the top" on the basis of merit and exposed for public consumption the reality of life and identity at the lower end of the class structure.

Last edited:
I'm going to be incredibly unpopular here, but...

First of all, it's sad when anyone dies, and especially for her children who have lost a mother. Illness is never nice, and dying young is never nice. I know. I see the indisputable figures about more women going for smear tests - one of the very few good things to come out of this sorry episode.

Now - this whole Jade Goody thing, to me, symbolises all that is wrong with Britain, and in particular, the way mass media works. Just like Jordan, she prostituted every second of her life, before she was ill, and while she was ill. I hear the argument about her providing for her kids, and I am very cynical about it. She was doing, in illness, what she did before illness - selling magazine pages.

I see on the news that there are some people leaving flowers by her gate this morning. Fine, if that's how they want to remember her. I am thinking about the hundreds and thousands of others who die, every day.

She was a nobody thrust into the limelight by her appearance on a programme that made voyeurs of half of the country. A racist bully. If that's what people want to idolise and leave flowers for - fine. It's a shocking state of affairs in my opinion, that people feel they have to do that, while Mrs Miggins at Number 42 is wheeled away quietly to be cremated.

Anyway - to summarise - sad that children have lost their mother, good that more women are being checked out, bad that it's something worthy of blanket news coverage.

Peter

Mrs Miggins is dead too? They're dropping like flies now. Only the Good(y) die young.

I see your point about Jade Goody appearing endlessly in magazines - it is annoying to see somebody being elevated to a position of national celebrity and having an awful lot of money thrown at them for no reason other than their willingness to expose every aspect of their personal life.

I disagree, though, that she "symbolises all that is wrong with Britain". You might be right in saying that she, like others, prostituted herself, but before we condemn her entirely, it's worth asking which of us has not turned our personal/economic capabilities to some dubious end? Which of us, at some point or other, hasn't done things we'd rather not have done in order to earn money. I doubt that many of us grow up with the ambition of working in McDonalds, for example, or in a call centre, or in advertising, or as a money-lender in a bank, or being retailers, each of which, it might be argued, are shameful in their own way. Really, I think, she (like God knows how many other celebrity non-entities) was a product of the amorality of capitalism. There is a demand for what these people have to offer and she was willing to supply.

How she earned her money and received her fame/infamy should also be considered in the context of her background, too. I'm not an authority on her, but a quick glance at Wikipedia shows that she had a pretty difficult upbringing and if you listened to her talking, it was pretty easy to arrive at the conclusion that she was - to say the least - undereducated ("East Angular" etc.). Remember, she was nationally ridiculed for her ignorance at the time of her first appearance on Big Brother. Such was the extent of her ignorance that her former school felt it necessary, at the time, to try to distance itself from her lest it reflected badly on the establishment. We're not talking about somebody brought up in a "thoroughly respectable" middle class household where people get to go to university and where values like "deferred gratification" are instilled. Selling meaningless stories about her life to trashy magazines like "Heat" and "Hello" etc. became her livelihood and, in the absence of alternative opportunities where she would be similarly rewarded, it's hard to fault her logic. Really, if contempt were appropriate, it'd be more appropriately directed at the readership and proprietors of those magazines and newspapers.

As for the "racism" allegations, certainly her remarks on "Celebrity" Big Brother were unpalatable but, again, I think you have to keep in mind her lack of education and the relatively insular environment into which she was born and in which she'd lived most of her life. Let's keep it in perspective: she wasn't advocating the forced repatriation of "darkies" or denying the Holocaust, or offering an endorsement of The Final Solution. I readily concede that she did use language that was both disparaging and racially derived, but the idea that she should be remembered as a dyed-in-the-wool racist is, I think, disingenuous. It sounds like an attempt to demonise her and "prove" that she was a Thoroughly Bad Egg Of Whom We Should All Disapprove. Ultimately, her "racist" comments were neither more hateful nor coherent than the kind of crap you'll heard spoken by thoroughly ordinary people in pubs and workplaces up and down the country every day of the week. The idea that she, in particular, ought to be a hate figure, because of her asinine name-calling, on "Celebrity" Big Brother seems a bit arbitrary.

Ultimately, Jade was both a product and a symbol of the society that gave her her celebrity status. Her success dispelled the myth that this is a world where people "get to the top" on the basis of merit and exposed for public consumption the reality of life and identity at the lower end of the class structure.

There's not much I disagree with there, especially the last paragraph.

Peter

Well, that's sad.

All rhetoric aside, the mother of two very young kids has died, couldn't we just say, RIP and move on.
Death is not funny.

On the BBC just now, some girl laying flowers (fair enough), but the message was...

Goodbye the princess of Essix.

:confused:
Uh?
2ltivrr.jpg

rip jade, very sad for kids, no one should die so young. but do we really need the 'princess diana' type tributes outside her home? media circus!!

rip jade, very sad for kids, no one should die so young. but do we really need the 'princess diana' type tributes outside her home? media circus!!
The media circus is what Max Clifford wants. His precious cash cow is dead.

it is sad that she has died and left two young children. but what has she done worth celebrating. and the fact that she is now being regarded as a national treasure just shows what a terrible time we live in. we celebrate and stupidity ignorance and lack of talent.

I disagree, though, that she "symbolises all that is wrong with Britain". You might be right in saying that she, like others, prostituted herself, but before we condemn her entirely, it's worth asking which of us has not turned our personal/economic capabilities to some dubious end? Which of us, at some point or other, hasn't done things we'd rather not have done in order to earn money. I doubt that many of us grow up with the ambition of working in McDonalds, for example, or in a call centre, or in advertising, or as a money-lender in a bank, or a retailer? Each of these occupations, it might be argued, are shameful in their own way. They're all whoredom. Really, I think, she (like God knows how many other celebrity non-entities) was a product of the amorality of capitalism. There is a demand for what these people have to offer and she was willing to supply.

:thumb: brilliant post HIM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
bad taste dummies get over it superhans=yawn
Back
Top Bottom