Jade Goody

I dont know or care who she is, but im sure its pretty awful for her, and maybe the media attention will make mroe people be aware of the signs of cancer etc etc.

She has openly admitted she is doing the interviews etc for money, so her boys are well provided for if she dies. Thier dad is some two bit presenter and celebrity reality tv show whore so I can't see him having much money.
This sort of media attention is all Jade knows anyway, she may as well get paid for it.
When your body is riddled with cancer who gives a shit about dignity?

When your body is riddled with cancer who gives a shit about dignity?

True, but with respect, she didn't give a toss about her dignity when she wasn't ill either. As I said above, I wish her well, but Jade Goody is part of an appalling trend of vacuous non-celebrities who earn money by selling every aspect of their lives to newspapers and magazines, and it fuels Britain's insatiable hunger to obsess about other peoples' lives; other people who are foisted on us, willingly. I don't mind reading about Barack Obama, Michael Phelps, the road-warden who got an OBE for services to the community, but Jade, Jordan, Kerry? I'm not interested in people who say nothing to me about my life and who sit down to figure out their next story to sell.

Anyway, I hope she gets better. Illness is nasty.

Peter

The british tabloids are apparently paying her for all of these interviews. So, she is profiting handsomely from her fatal disease. The figure I heard bandied around was £3 million since her diagnosis last year. Even if it's exaggerated and she is only getting a tenth of that, I think that it is tacky to exploit herself in this manner.

How is going to the beach and getting into the cold ocean water in January good for someone who is undergoing chemo? :eek:

So she's getting paid, and for once she's saving the money to support her kids after she's gone. So?

You can walk in the sand or go into the ocean if you're not neutropenic (that is, if you have enough white cells to defend yourself against viruses and bacteria.) And anyway, if they're only doing palliative care now (to prolong her life as much as possible) then she's right to take her kids to the beach. She's most likely on a cocktail of antibiotics, antivirals, and antifungals, so that should prevent the worst infections.

If I had just a few months I'd be taking my kids to the beach, without question. I'd rather have them remember me playing in the sand with them than hooked up to an IV in a hospital bed.

True, but with respect, she didn't give a toss about her dignity when she wasn't ill either. As I said above, I wish her well, but Jade Goody is part of an appalling trend of vacuous non-celebrities who earn money by selling every aspect of their lives to newspapers and magazines, and it fuels Britain's insatiable hunger to obsess about other peoples' lives; other people who are foisted on us, willingly. I don't mind reading about Barack Obama, Michael Phelps, the road-warden who got an OBE for services to the community, but Jade, Jordan, Kerry? I'm not interested in people who say nothing to me about my life and who sit down to figure out their next story to sell.

Peter

You might not be but a good majority of people are; that's why those papers sell so well.

Peter

My original post was referring to the comparison with kylie really....as I said, Jade Goody has never known any other sort of media attention and the Heat readers of the world allow her and other non celebrities to spill all about their weight loss/gain, relationships, illnesses and what they ate for breakfast. Says it all when Max Clifford is your spokesman though.:rolleyes:
I'm not saying it is right or wrong but as we live in a society where these people sell magazines/papers you can't blame her for for providing a financial future for hers boys. :)

I don't see how she's "exploiting" her illness. It's not like she chose to have cancer.

you are totally right here, she has been horribly slagged off in the UK for doing things like interviews so on. She is a reality tv "star" here cassius, so I suppose this is what she knows. 27 years old a young mother of 2 I think its time for people to back off and just let her do what she need to do.

Not on the NHS :D

Oh yeah, that's right. But she still has to provide for her kids (like you said). Also, I don't see the big deal about her going to the beach; if she is going to die soon, why shouldn't she spend fun times with her kids?

you are totally right here, she has been horribly slagged off in the UK for doing things like interviews so on. She is a reality tv "star" here cassius, so I suppose this is what she knows. 27 years old a young mother of 2 I think its time for people to back off and just let her do what she need to do.

I agree one hundred percent.

Not on the NHS :D

Yeah, unless Jade went private, she wouldn't have to pay for the cancer treatment.

I find the whole thing quite terrifying. A 27 year old mother of 2, resigned to such an unpleasant early death. Where is the justice, God? :(

Why is she playing this out in the media? Has she no dignity?

For comparison's sake, when Kylie was diagnosed she totally disappeared off the radar (media-wise), she was not giving interviews to every tabloid going, her publicist was not issuing press releases giving graphic details about her illness, and there were VERY few photographs taken of her during her illness and recovery. Jade is on the cover of a Sunday tabloid every week with another "exclusive" interview, and photographs too. A few weeks ago there were photographs printed of her in a swimsuit while on holiday playing in the ocean with her kids in Spain all the while she is supposed to be undergoing chemo?

So yeah, dignity. It's important, no?

Spicer
Totally agree........ well said.

The difference is Kyle didn't need to be in the media..... unfortunately Jade is ONLY a ''reality TV star'', that is her ''only talent'' so she has to flog her every drama in the same way Kerry Katona does. It is their only / major source of income. This then attracts the cynicism from such people like myself which detracts from the sympathy that she would have received had it been Kyle.....
She's probably already flogged the rights to her funeral to Hello....... (you see, the cynicism kicking in....)

Jukebox Jury

This illness could have been diagnosed 3 years ago but the doctors missed it somehow :confused: If I was her I would be fuming at this but she has refused to sue, instead she is raising awareness, as sad as it may seem to people, young girls read magazines that Jade etc appear in.

I don't understand why it offends people that she's a reality star. It's her life to make public.

It doesn't offend me that she is a reality TV star. But the media offends my intelligence by assuming I want to read about her every drama.....

meets boyfriend, next week breaks up with boyfriend, next week makes up with boyfriend, next week engaged, next week not engaged, next week pregnant, next week zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Now she actually has a (maybe) news worthy story, unfortunately, I just see the headline that says 'Jade' and I have already turned over the page......

My dad died of cancer 13 months ago and this year I hope to run a 10k race and raise money for the hospice where he (and many others) were cared for and died.....

Jukebox Jury

Last edited:
She's vile, but I hope she gets better. I wouldn't wish such a fate on anyone.

That's terrible.

As sympathetic I am to her illness, her distinct lack of dignity is, I think, tragic.

She has taken a very easy route into making money from this - she has literally, by definition, exploited her illness.

And I think it is insulting and disgusting to cancer sufferers. But it shows the love she has for her children, quite obviously.

Tags
give me a break waaaah
Back
Top Bottom