JK Rowling talks about meeting Morrissey

There is a documentary on BBC 3 at the moment by Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) talking about fandom. He was chatting to JK Rowling and she told the following story:

JK "I was having lunch with my sister in law, I see this man walking towards me with a little entourage and I thought......if I didnt know better , I would think that was Morrissey. Now Morrissey was a big deal to me in my teens, a very big deal.......he came right up to me, and we simultaneously we both said "it is you" and we shook hands. Then we parted and he went up the escalator and I walk on with my sister in law and she said to me to put my hand down! I was still walking along like a dalek. If my 17 year old self had known that I would meet Morrissey AND Morrissey would know who I am" laughs

A lovely story to hear :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness most bands you see will have pretty much the same greatest hits setlist every year and certainly for a whole tour.

I don't think any tour is set up to make every concert different from the last, it's never going to happen.

I understand that. But drip feeding the touring fans one different track here and there says 'can't be arsed to rehearse' rather than 'let's give the faithful a treat tonight'

Anyway enough dissection. As we all know what's going to be played tonight we have to find some fun elsewhere..
I'm running a book on what snippet he'll sing during Speedway.

2-1 Danny Boy
5-1 The Youngest Was The Most Loved
10-1 God Save The Queen
50-1 Upstarts
100-1 You'll Never Walk Alone

Place your bets! :laughing:

- - - Updated - - -

You seriously think he should change the setlist every night for the benefit of those who attend multiple shows? If you'd seen multiple shows by any other artist, you'd know that set list changes are minimal over the course of a tour, certainly no more than Morrissey does. To call something "phoned in" or "autopilot" just because the set list is pretty much the same and the arrangements are the same every night is breathtaking idiocy - and those audience members who see only one gig per tour will undoubtedly disagree with you.

As for the merits of WPINOYB, it's all a question of personal taste - and nobody's taste or opinion is "correct", we are all entitled to our own. For me, there are several songs on all of the last three albums that I love and play a lot. The problem is that so many people judge everything he does by Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I. It's the same kind of problem that Bowie faced from 1980 onwards with everything he does automatically being dismissed in comparison to the work he did in the 1970s. But I think a lot of that is to do with familiarity and nostalgia for the old though rather than any real antipathy towards the newer releases.

I actually said. Maybe a little variety here and there....
How does that translate to I want a different set every night?

My breathtaking idiocy was on display the minute I booked a ticket for tonight...
The phoned in shows last year were all down to the singer, nothing to do with the setlist or the band...
If you'd read what I said without being consumed with protective blindness towards our hero you'd see I want things to be as good as I know they can be. That's all.
This is not a rant against anything.
Just honest observation from someone who can see the cracks in the actor as clear as day all the way from the back row.

Anyway, I watched this and it was pretty good. You can probably catch it on BBC Iplayer.

The superfans on the programme seem to be a lot easier to please than most on here, they should've put a grumpy, moaning old bastard on to talk about Moz instead of JK Rowling.

Eton isn't all bad! It inspired Paul Weller to write that fantastic Jam song 'The Eton Rifles'!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRmrlkYdsQ

Sup up your beer and collect your fags
There's a row going on down near Slough
Get out your mats and pray to the West
I'll get out mine and pray for myself

Thought you were smart when you took them on
But you didn't take a peep in their artillery room
All that rugby puts hairs on your chest
What chance have you got against a tie and a crest?

Hello-hurrah
What a nice day for the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I hope rain stops play for the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

Thought you were clever when you lit the fuse
Tore down the House of Commons in your brand new shoes
Composed a revolutionary symphony
Then went to bed with a charming young thing

Hello-hurrah
Cheers then mate, it's the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
An extremist scrape with the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

What a catalyst you turned out to be
Loaded the guns then you run off home for your tea
Left me standing like a guilty schoolboy

What a catalyst you turned out to be
Loaded the guns then you run off home for your tea
Left me standing like a naughty schoolboy

We came out of it, naturally the worst
Beaten and bloody, and I was sick down my shirt
We were no match for their untamed wit
Though some of the lads said they'd be back next week

Hello-hurrah
It's the price to pay to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I'd prefer the plague to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

Hello-hurrah
It's the price to pay to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I'd prefer the plague to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Well, as you put it that way :)
Mr Weller was rather scathing of the Eton Cadet Corps. Ironically, David Cameron in his 'liking The Jam' phase was there when it came out.
Weller's a bit hit and miss for me, but this is still a great song.
Cheers,
FWD

My breathtaking idiocy was on display the minute I booked a ticket for tonight...
The phoned in shows last year were all down to the singer, nothing to do with the setlist or the band...
If you'd read what I said without being consumed with protective blindness towards our hero you'd see I want things to be as good as I know they can be. That's all.
This is not a rant against anything.
Just honest observation from someone who can see the cracks in the actor as clear as day all the way from the back row.

Moz should be doing a two-hour concert where he gets to sing 30 songs instead of 20, and he should mix it up a little. But I don't think that will happen. Even for his concerts on dvd he does the bare bones (e.g. the '25 Live' Hollywood High concert was great but could have benefited from another 5 or 6 songs at the end). I'm not disagreeing with you at all. His concerts could be magnificent if he made the extra effort, but maybe he thinks he is already going the extra mile by giving all of himself on stage. A more likely explanation is that he prefers to be back to his hotel room early to soak in the tub, counting his money. It's not an age thing either, as his concerts have been viciously short from the very beginning. Even his famed Wolverhampton gig was laughably short.
I don't care if he sings Smiths songs in concert, but he has such a wealth of solo material that it is a crime that they languish away unplayed.
My over-the-top reaction to your post was because I was surprised you were surprised. Chalk that down to my pessimism and acceptance of what is instead of what could be.

I don't know why meat eaters like JK Rowling would even like Morrissey. Do they not realize that his music is condemning callous people like them? Maybe they just like the melodies or something?

I wonder what she was eating. Back on 'the importance of being Morrissey' she mentioned something about not being able to give up meat, "not even for Morrissey". It is strange to me how she wasn't sure if it was Moz. Surely a fan would recognise him, would keep relatively up to date on how he looks, etc. I saw him a half mile away in Dublin once and recognised him instantly, as I would expect any self-respecting fan to do. I suppose the shock of seeing him in a restaurant like that might clog your brain temporarily.

I love her enthusiasm for Moz.
My own personal view of her, though, is a bit negative.
I find it beyond ironic that working class parents and children will sit and watch Harry Potter whilst hating David Cameron.... Yet oddly, Harry basically goes to a wizard's 'prep' school and behaves in a way not dissimilar to any Etonian child they then profess to despise.
Regards,
FWD

My only gripe about Harry Potter is that it entertained the same gender stereotypes women are subjected to constantly. Hermione wasn't a witch, she clearly was a wizard.

How much does Harry Potter's school cost his parents?

He got a Pell Grant and took out loans for the remainder.

The sad thing is, this Misguided Trousers fool has attended four (4) shows on the current tour even though he claims to not like Morrissey's latest amazing album. I like that Moz profits off stupid people like him.

You seriously think he should change the setlist every night for the benefit of those who attend multiple shows? If you'd seen multiple shows by any other artist, you'd know that set list changes are minimal over the course of a tour, certainly no more than Morrissey does. To call something "phoned in" or "autopilot" just because the set list is pretty much the same and the arrangements are the same every night is breathtaking idiocy - and those audience members who see only one gig per tour will undoubtedly disagree with you.

As for the merits of WPINOYB, it's all a question of personal taste - and nobody's taste or opinion is "correct", we are all entitled to our own. For me, there are several songs on all of the last three albums that I love and play a lot. The problem is that so many people judge everything he does by Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I. It's the same kind of problem that Bowie faced from 1980 onwards with everything he does automatically being dismissed in comparison to the work he did in the 1970s. But I think a lot of that is to do with familiarity and nostalgia for the old though rather than any real antipathy towards the newer releases.

this is not so cute story. i read vanity, not love or emotion, sorry.

as i googled - i should love this woman because of her father's profession and his work cv - but i can't :(

She knew it was M, as M knew it was her. But, shyness aside, if it were that easy, if it could be thrown aside as one rips off a winter coat on a turned sultry cold day, the short and tidy verbal exchange was an icebreaker of formality, over as it seemingly just began. Social terror then takes up its usual occupancy, so many, too many, shoulda's, woulda's, and coulda's. Life shuffles on.... xx

Morrissey played at a place called Ulster Hall?

What happened to Irish Blood English Heart and covering up the old lady president of England's mouth with his hand?

You don't have a bloody clue do you?

She knew it was M, as M knew it was her. But, shyness aside, if it were that easy, if it could be thrown aside as one rips off a winter coat on a turned sultry cold day, the short and tidy verbal exchange was an icebreaker of formality, over as it seemingly just began. Social terror then takes up its usual occupancy, so many, too many, shoulda's, woulda's, and coulda's. Life shuffles on.... xx

??

what do you mean? :) i don't understand.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom