JK Rowling talks about meeting Morrissey

There is a documentary on BBC 3 at the moment by Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) talking about fandom. He was chatting to JK Rowling and she told the following story:

JK "I was having lunch with my sister in law, I see this man walking towards me with a little entourage and I thought......if I didnt know better , I would think that was Morrissey. Now Morrissey was a big deal to me in my teens, a very big deal.......he came right up to me, and we simultaneously we both said "it is you" and we shook hands. Then we parted and he went up the escalator and I walk on with my sister in law and she said to me to put my hand down! I was still walking along like a dalek. If my 17 year old self had known that I would meet Morrissey AND Morrissey would know who I am" laughs

A lovely story to hear :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love her enthusiasm for Moz.
My own personal view of her, though, is a bit negative.
I find it beyond ironic that working class parents and children will sit and watch Harry Potter whilst hating David Cameron.... Yet oddly, Harry basically goes to a wizard's 'prep' school and behaves in a way not dissimilar to any Etonian child they then profess to despise.
Regards,
FWD

Dawwwwwwww.

I find it beyond ironic that working class parents and children will sit and watch Harry Potter whilst hating David Cameron.... Yet oddly, Harry basically goes to a wizard's 'prep' school and behaves in a way not dissimilar to any Etonian child they then profess to despise.
Regards,
FWD

How much does Harry Potter's school cost his parents?

How much does Harry Potter's school cost his parents?
The context of your comment is lost on me.
I'm pretty sure that anyone in England familiar with public schools (without wands) will tell you it costs between 2-5 grand a term at some of the more exclusive schools - assuming they don't have a safe full of loot. Rowling writes well, but the house system, points for said houses and the Enid Blyton jolly hockey sticks mentality when it comes to fighting wizards and dragons couldn't be more Etonian if she tried.
Regards,
FWD

Last edited:
There is a documentary on BBC 3 at the moment by Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) talking about fandom. He was chatting to JK Rowling and she told the following story:

JK "I was having lunch with my sister in law, I see this man walking towards me with a little entourage and I thought......if I didnt know better , I would think that was Morrissey. Now Morrissey was a big deal to me in my teens, a very big deal.......he came right up to me, and we simultaneously we both said "it is you" and we shook hands. Then we parted and he went up the escalator and I walk on with my sister in law and she said to me to put my hand down! I was still walking along like a dalek. If my 17 year old self had known that I would meet Morrissey AND Morrissey would know who I am" laughs

A lovely story to hear :)

this is not so cute story. i read vanity, not love or emotion, sorry.

as i googled - i should love this woman because of her father's profession and his work cv - but i can't :(

JK Rowling. Friend of the Windsors.
And we should give a shit because?
In Belfast for 48 hours now and people who saw The Smiths multiple times at Ulster Hall don't even know he's playing the Prodessey Arena today.
Shit promotions and shit booking agents don't come into it, if your latest album is average and you persist in playing too many dull, drawn out tracks from it, the stage will get closer and closer to the back wall and all the meat selling concessions you've pissed off massaging your own delicate ego will delight in your consistent mediocrity.
Step up or shut up.
It's the setlist dumb f***!

Pre show nothingness...
Fans aftershow party is where exactly??

Welcome to Belfast!

Last edited:
Morrissey played at a place called Ulster Hall?

What happened to Irish Blood English Heart and covering up the old lady president of England's mouth with his hand?

What happened to Irish Blood English Heart and covering up the old lady president of England's mouth with his hand?

Things can get a little confused in Belfast....
Well they can for a self confessed anti royal, pro JK Rowling, Catholic English boy with a perchant for controversy.
Reliably informed that one gig with the smiths resulted in a packet of Irish pork sausages in the face during MIM.
Northern Ireland is a great leveller if nothing else...

Note the red hand of Ulster.
The Smiths played it when they were selling tickets on musical merit, not gossipy memoirs or lazy tabloid controversy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Regards,
FWD

Congrats! It seems the majority of the working class parents and children aren't as clever as you! You must feel like a giant!

JK Rowling. Friend of the Windsors.
And we should give a shit because?
In Belfast for 48 hours now and people who saw The Smiths multiple times at Ulster Hall don't even know he's playing the Prodessey Arena today.
Shit promotions and shit booking agents don't come into it, if your latest album is average and you persist in playing too many dull, drawn out tracks from it, the stage will get closer and closer to the back wall and all the meat selling concessions you've pissed off massaging your own delicate ego will delight in your consistent mediocrity.
Step up or shut up.
It's the setlist dumb f***!

Pre show nothingness...
Fans aftershow party is where exactly??

Welcome to Belfast!
But his last album wasn't average. It was excellent. Why don't you listen to the tripe on the radio and find out for yourself how dismal the current 'pop' scene is. Don't tell me there is a single new artist out there who is even remotely worth listening to. Even Hozier is a one hit wonder. Why should Moz play a load of old Smiths songs? If Stephen King or Clive Barker or James Ellroy did a book reading would you expect them to eschew their latest book and do a reading from their first book from 30 years previously? Would you expect Tom Hanks to come on to Graham Norton and only talk about 'Splash'? No you wouldn't. So maybe its people like you who need to shup up or even better just step out altogether. Obviously you couldn't be bothered to look up his recent setlists. Did you expect a one-off specially designed setlist just to keep you happy?

I wonder what she was eating. Back on 'the importance of being Morrissey' she mentioned something about not being able to give up meat, "not even for Morrissey". It is strange to me how she wasn't sure if it was Moz. Surely a fan would recognise him, would keep relatively up to date on how he looks, etc. I saw him a half mile away in Dublin once and recognised him instantly, as I would expect any self-respecting fan to do. I suppose the shock of seeing him in a restaurant like that might clog your brain temporarily.

I'm pretty sure that anyone in England familiar with public schools (without wands) will tell you it costs between 2-5 grand a term at some of the more exclusive schools - assuming they don't have a safe full of loot. Rowling writes well, but the house system, points for said houses and the Enid Blyton jolly hockey sticks mentality when it comes to fighting wizards and dragons couldn't be more Etonian if she tried.
Regards,
FWD

My kids love Harry Potter but it's far too tally ho for me. I'm with you.

Regards,
FWD

Eton isn't all bad! It inspired Paul Weller to write that fantastic Jam song 'The Eton Rifles'!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJRmrlkYdsQ

Sup up your beer and collect your fags
There's a row going on down near Slough
Get out your mats and pray to the West
I'll get out mine and pray for myself

Thought you were smart when you took them on
But you didn't take a peep in their artillery room
All that rugby puts hairs on your chest
What chance have you got against a tie and a crest?

Hello-hurrah
What a nice day for the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I hope rain stops play for the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

Thought you were clever when you lit the fuse
Tore down the House of Commons in your brand new shoes
Composed a revolutionary symphony
Then went to bed with a charming young thing

Hello-hurrah
Cheers then mate, it's the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
An extremist scrape with the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

What a catalyst you turned out to be
Loaded the guns then you run off home for your tea
Left me standing like a guilty schoolboy

What a catalyst you turned out to be
Loaded the guns then you run off home for your tea
Left me standing like a naughty schoolboy

We came out of it, naturally the worst
Beaten and bloody, and I was sick down my shirt
We were no match for their untamed wit
Though some of the lads said they'd be back next week

Hello-hurrah
It's the price to pay to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I'd prefer the plague to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

Hello-hurrah
It's the price to pay to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles
Hello-hurrah
I'd prefer the plague to the Eton Rifles, Eton Rifles

But his last album wasn't average. It was excellent. Why don't you listen to the tripe on the radio and find out for yourself how dismal the current 'pop' scene is. Don't tell me there is a single new artist out there who is even remotely worth listening to. Even Hozier is a one hit wonder. Why should Moz play a load of old Smiths songs? If Stephen King or Clive Barker or James Ellroy did a book reading would you expect them to eschew their latest book and do a reading from their first book from 30 years previously? Would you expect Tom Hanks to come on to Graham Norton and only talk about 'Splash'? No you wouldn't. So maybe its people like you who need to shup up or even better just step out altogether. Obviously you couldn't be bothered to look up his recent setlists. Did you expect a one-off specially designed setlist just to keep you happy?

We will have to agree to disagree on the quality of WPINOYB. It's not any better because pop music happens to be pretty dire at the moment though is it?
I expect nothing other than a professional performance for my pounds spent on tickets, maybe a little variety here and there rather than a locked in, laptop led run through of the latest product.
I do watch the setlists and they haven't differed much from the ones I've seen in person so far on this tour. Lisbon, Milan, Bologna & Florence.
I had a ticket for Padova but was so utterly bored of the phoned in, autopilot shows by then that I decided not to attend and watch Real Madrid v Liverpool on the TV in Mestre instead.
I hope he manages to pull it out of the bag tonight I honestly do.
I'm a fan but I'm not so sure unquestioning loyalty helps the situation. If he's being lazy I'll point it out.
As a paying customer I have every right to give my opinion on proceedings.

We will have to agree to disagree on the quality of WPINOYB. It's not any better because pop music happens to be pretty dire at the moment though is it?
I expect nothing other than a professional performance for my pounds spent on tickets, maybe a little variety here and there rather than a locked in, laptop led run through of the latest product.
I do watch the setlists and they haven't differed much from the ones I've seen in person so far on this tour. Lisbon, Milan, Bologna & Florence.
I had a ticket for Padova but was so utterly bored of the phoned in, autopilot shows by then that I decided not to attend and watch Real Madrid v Liverpool on the TV in Mestre instead.
I'm a fan but I'm not so sure unquestioning loyalty helps the situation. If he's being lazy I'll point it out.

In fairness most bands you see will have pretty much the same greatest hits setlist every year and certainly for a whole tour.

I don't think any tour is set up to make every concert different from the last, it's never going to happen.

You seriously think he should change the setlist every night for the benefit of those who attend multiple shows? If you'd seen multiple shows by any other artist, you'd know that set list changes are minimal over the course of a tour, certainly no more than Morrissey does. To call something "phoned in" or "autopilot" just because the set list is pretty much the same and the arrangements are the same every night is breathtaking idiocy - and those audience members who see only one gig per tour will undoubtedly disagree with you.

As for the merits of WPINOYB, it's all a question of personal taste - and nobody's taste or opinion is "correct", we are all entitled to our own. For me, there are several songs on all of the last three albums that I love and play a lot. The problem is that so many people judge everything he does by Your Arsenal and Vauxhall and I. It's the same kind of problem that Bowie faced from 1980 onwards with everything he does automatically being dismissed in comparison to the work he did in the 1970s. But I think a lot of that is to do with familiarity and nostalgia for the old though rather than any real antipathy towards the newer releases.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom