John Robb - Louderthanwar - open letter to Morrissey about his war of words

John Robb is incapable of being objective about anything Morrissey says or does, so this is just pointless.

John Robb is incapable of being objective about anything Morrissey says or does, so this is just pointless.

Who is that guy, Amy?

Who is that guy, Amy?

A journalist and TV talking head who was heavily into the "Madchester" scene in the late 80s/early 90s and has been banging on about it ever since, churning out biographies of bands like the Stone Roses and the Charlatans. He coined the term "Britpop". He fawns over everything Morrissey and Marr touch, they can do no wrong.

A journalist and TV talking head who was heavily into the "Madchester" scene in the late 80s/early 90s and has been banging on about it ever since, churning out biographies of bands like the Stone Roses and the Charlatans. He coined the term "Britpop". He fawns over everything Morrissey and Marr touch, they can do no wrong.

He did not coin the phrase 'Britpop'
Stuart Maconie did.

That's not the only difference between Robb and Maconie.
One is a respected journalist, author, broadcaster and a thoroughly nice bloke.
The other is Robb.

He did not coin the phrase 'Britpop'
Stuart Maconie did.

That's not the only difference between Robb and Maconie.
One is a respected journalist, author, broadcaster and a thoroughly nice bloke.
The other is Robb.

:lbf:

The worst kind of hanger-on in a world of hanger-ons, needless to say if he played 5-a-side football (as he "revealed" in his open letter to Primal Scream recently) he would be accused of goal-hanging.

What is the point of John Robb?

A couple of years ago, I read John Robb's biography of The Stone Roses. It is probably the worst book I've ever read. I made it as far as, approximately, 50 pages from the end and had to stop because I just couldn't take anymore.

Whats with all the nasty remarks? I like what he had to say. Sounds like he understands what Morrissey has been trying to do whether he does it on purpose or not and why it's part of why Morrissey is and will always be a legend.

You do him a dis-service. He was also in the Membranes in the mid 80's and is an authority on punk.

A passionate knowledgeble writer

You do him a dis-service. He was also in the Membranes in the mid 80's and is an authority on punk.

A passionate knowledgeble writer

No disservice here.
He's still flogging The Membranes horse, which I have no problem with.
Yes, he is an authority on punk music, but his actions display no commitment to the punk ethics.
I know of many examples where he has used people in his quest for respect and recognition.

As for his writing, I leave that to be judged by the reader. Some people actually read and enjoy Katy Price books, so each to his own.

In Manchester this Blackpool lad is tolerated by those who have no desire to impress him. A bit of a joke on the quiet.

Back
Top Bottom